Thanks Thanks:  16
Likes Likes:  105
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is anyone prepared to…

Highlights

FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Likes I'm Not Bitter Anymore! liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupman View Post
    The Bont goal is probably my favourite football moment ever, so that. Just seeing it unfold, and knowing what was gonna happen, and the eruption of the crowd as it did was so beautiful.

But the 30 seconds after the siren wins on a personal level. We had about 14 of us in our group, and everyone was ecstatic. The outpouring of emotion...relief, excitement, happiness. As an extended family that had done all the hard yards, had had so many moments of "when will it be our turn", had gone every week every year, and had gambled on being there for that very exact moment, it was amazing. I distinctly remember having to run across about 12 seats to get to the bay across behind celebrating people so I could hug my sister and the rest of the our group. And seeing Dad and my uncle both in tears. And having Easton Wood run over to us and give my partner a footy.

Honestly if i could replay a minute of my life that would probably be it, or maybe I'd split it 5050 (3030?) with the Bont goal.
    That is why I rate the PF better than the GF for me. The 15 family members who had gone to the footy together for so many years, got to celebrate together, to hug together, to cry together.

We didn't get that on GF day because we were separated, all in different stands at the G

After being at 7 losing GF's, no one will ever convince me that the GF was better than the PF. And I'm not saying that may not be the case for you, but for me the PF is the one.

And reading these moments, I can visualise every one of them.
    For those who were always the underdogs and wore it as a badge of honour.

4. Likes The Bulldogs Bite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aker39 View Post
    That is why I rate the PF better than the GF for me. The 15 family members who had gone to the footy together for so many years, got to celebrate together, to hug together, to cry together.

We didn't get that on GF day because we were separated, all in different stands at the G

After being at 7 losing GF's, no one will ever convince me that the GF was better than the PF. And I'm not saying that may not be the case for you, but for me the PF is the one.

Agree, the prelim was the game. So glad I made the trip.
    7 losing in person I was not going to miss the 8th!

Turned out it was the start of the 2-0 streak.

Post Thanks / Like

Pretty much this, although for me the GF day was pretty special. I didn't attend the PF (I was heading to USA the day after the Grand Final so I needed to save for it) and the whole GF experience from the minute I woke up was basically Hollywood perfection. Sharing the day with my dad, good mate and his brother was special.

Having said that, the PF was a rollercoaster of emotions. I almost had to leave the room because I couldn't take it and that's never happened before or since.
    W00F!

Post Thanks / Like

Spot on with this. What a shame GFs are setup the way they are for supporters. I ended up on my own with mates all over the place.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

The tackle down from Morris and Tommy Boyd's goal at the GF was insane, however. I was twenty rows back centre wing and watching from close to ground level each level of the Punt Road end erupt and feeling the stand shake was every bit as good as any feeling I felt at the preliminary final. It must have been immense for the players.

I guess it's just that after winning the PF I never thought we'd really lose the GF.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    The last two minutes were the most nervous I have been at a game ever.

I watch this every now and again and still end up in tears. My thoughts go to watching it live, surrounded by mates at my house, and me crying like a baby. My mate hugging me asking if I was okay; I couldn’t talk, couldn’t reply. Like others here, I’d watched the seven previous prelim losses, I didn’t know how to celebrate a win. Good times
    WOOF Member 422

10. Likes merantau, bornadog, MrMahatma liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The buzz around us after winning the WCE game was one thing, but after winning the Hawthorn game it was out of control. The entire comp was on us after that and it was at that point our best finals win of the modern era.

12. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Back to the PF, I rate the Dickson dropped mark and recovery in the first highly, massive tone setter....

14. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scraggers View Post
    I watch this every now and again and still end up in tears. My thoughts go to watching it live, surrounded by mates at my house, and me crying like a baby. My mate hugging me asking if I was okay; I couldn’t talk, couldn’t reply. Like others here, I’d watched the seven previous prelim losses, I didn’t know how to celebrate a win. Good times
    It was the best game I've ever seen. Watched it in a ramshackle bar by the beach in eastern Sumbawa with half a dozen surfers who had no skin in the game - so the atmosphere was tepid to say the least.

However, I can assure you that my emotions were a maelstrom in a whirlpool: the highs were Himalayan, the lows were Mariana Trench and, when GWS scored successive goals early in the last, my heart fell through the rough cut boards of the bar floor and landed on the sand three metres below.

And then there were incredible goals by Dicko and Bont to get us back in front but still a long way out from the final siren. The last ten or twelve minutes of that game were torture - every contest was, for me, life changing as I felt like a different person after we won the flag. I simply could not bear the thought of departing this world without seeing my team win the Premiership. The win was that important for me.

I've posted this before but some may not have seen it. Here's the link.

Thread 'A Ride to Remember and the Experience of a Lifetime.' https://www.rideasia.net/motorcycle-...ifetime.10539/
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

16. Likes The Doctor liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

TBH I think it's the best game I've seen too.
    The 7 losing prelims, the Lost Dogs Home aspect, Griff, the tension, all of that underlined a game where every single moment, every contest, truly mattered

Then consider the first round drafts picks vs a backline almost entirely made up of rookies, DFAs and a PSD pick... so many subtexts that made it extra special
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Easton Wood hanger - dominating the air and the ground.....but dominating the air. The first five or ten needed aerial dominance and that mark was so so good in providing it. At quarter time they'd have said don't kick it in the air to the ****....

Dickson's dropped mark and recovery for a goal....not sure if it's been mentioned or forgotten. He raked it in, and made EVERYONE on the field in the area look stupid. It's the best goal I've seen in a final.

Jacko's goal. Everyone said it was shinned, but you need to look closely and realise it's just how he kicks. Dead centre.
    I was side on to the kick and when it left his boot I cringed. Jacko's arse was almost touching the turf. A weird set shot kicking action but a great result. It was fading right though another five metres out and who knows.

19. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    Pretty much this, although for me the GF day was pretty special. I didn't attend the PF (I was heading to USA the day after the Grand Final so I needed to save for it) and the whole GF experience from the minute I woke up was basically Hollywood perfection. Sharing the day with my dad, good mate and his brother was special.

Having said that, the PF was a rollercoaster of emotions. I almost had to leave the room because I couldn't take it and that's never happened before or since.
    It's Grand Final day for me. I was living overseas for the prelim, watching by myself on sketchy wifi, but arrived back in Melbourne and got to sit with my family at the game.

I will always feel like I missed a key Bulldog supporter experience by not being in Sydney for the prelim.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post

I will always feel like I missed a key Bulldog supporter experience by not being in Sydney for the prelim.
    Same.

In the 2016 finals I was at the Eagles game (obviously), flew to Melbourne for Hawthorn, stayed home for the prelim, flew back for the GF.

Since then, I have rewatched the GF a couple of times, have never given the Eagles or Hawks game a second glance...but must have watched the prelim 20+ times...it's just a great game of footy.

I didn't enjoy the GF than much. I was on edge all day and yeah, celebrate...but it was more relief. Those feelings flood back when I watch it again so it just isn't as fun as the prelim.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

22. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Same.

In the 2016 finals I was at the Eagles game (obviously), flew to Melbourne for Hawthorn, stayed home for the prelim, flew back for the GF.

Since then, I have rewatched the GF a couple of times, have never given the Eagles or Hawks game a second glance...but must have watched the prelim 20+ times...it's just a great game of footy.

I didn't enjoy the GF than much. I was on edge all day and yeah, celebrate...but it was more relief. Those feelings flood back when I watch it again so it just isn't as fun as the prelim.
    Eagles and Hawks games were also great games (not as good as prelim) as we smashed both teams. You should go back and watch them with some great highlights, especially Liam Picken and his opportunistic goals. The player of the series in my opinion.

I missed the Eagles game as I expected us to lose and I wasn't going to go all the way to Perth to see another drubbing. Eagles were in hot form winning the previous 10 or so games. When the game kicked off and Eagles were seemingly on top, I thought he we go again, but then it happened and we turned it on and the Eagles were gone.

The Hawks game in front of our biggest crowd since 1961 GF had an amazing atmosphere. I remember at the end of the game, my mates and I were walking out but then we heard a massive roar and singing. Raced back up to see on the big screen, the cameras were in the rooms and the players singing the song. The crowd that stayed back were also singing - it was incredible.

24. Likes Mofra liked this post