Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  57
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Greetings from the 2023 Wish-Come-True-Magical-Genie!!!

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    Bont to CHB
    This is the kind of radical thinking the genie is looking for.

Personally I hate it. I'm not real excited about English to CHB to be honest. But I do think they are both the sort of moves that have the potential to cause real on-field problems to the oppo...

If I was coaching against us I would probably LIKE the suggestion(s) - both players are goal-kickers so getting then out of the forward half seems good to me - but at the same time they are both attacking with their ball movement and would really challenge my forwards to defend and could have my defenders under serious pressure.

It's the sort of move that - if it went wrong - would 100% lead to the coach being removed but I dont think Bevo even things about possibilities like that...
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

2. Likes The Doctor liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    Bont to CHB

He will bring the kind of leadership to the back half we have been sorely lacking. In recent years we have had Wood, Murph, Boyd & Morris providing outstanding leadership from the back half. We don't have that now. Bont will fill this void and direct play in the back half better & I'm sure his team mates will appreciate this a lot. He is also a great contested mark in defence. When we are applying the forward press he would be our go to man in central midfield to bring the ball into the forward line. Remember when the ball would end up in Zaine's hands in this situation?

I think the team will benefit upfield as well. There will be numerous opportunities for some of our quality players to shine. Bailey Smith gets more centre square time where the team should benefit from his burst speed out of the middle making us less one paced & predictable. Treloar to in this regard. Jamarra takes on more responsibility as the 3rd tall up forward. I am greatly buoyed by his Bont like game v Melbourne last year. The time is right for him.

Now come at me with your pitchforks and torches.
    Maybe not right now in his prime ala Hodge but I can see this being a future masterstroke move in the twilight of Bont's career ala Boyd.

4. Likes The Doctor liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Maybe not right now in his prime ala Hodge but I can see this being a future masterstroke move in the twilight of Bont's career ala Boyd.
    Nets aside, I agree.

The pull will be to stick him forward given his agility/creativity, so that'll be an interesting decision when the time comes to move him from the midfield.
    W00F!

Post Thanks / Like

Would love to see Caleb higher up the ground playing the linking role he did in 2016.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AshMac View Post
    Would love to see Caleb higher up the ground playing the linking role he did in 2016.
    I'm a fan of having your best kick as the second/ third kick moving out of defence and avoiding the zoning defenders, which is something I think Caleb could do really well.

The first and second kicks out are often conceded to set up the intercept and it's on the second/ third where much of the pressure comes.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.