Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  16
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Final List spot for 2023 - what position?

We have one spot left on our list. Given the balance of the list what role should we be targeting?

I would like another developing ruckman, but there are some other holes.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Final List spot for 2023 - what position?

At this stage I'd leave it open and look to target a position of need (likely ruck) at the mid season draft.
    If Baker doesn't work out, I could see us considering an outside runner by then.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

3. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    At this stage I'd leave it open and look to target a position of need (likely ruck) at the mid season draft.
    If Baker doesn't work out, I could see us considering an outside runner by then.
    While I think we should be targeting a ruck man or a winger option we are very likely that our intention is to wait until the mid season otherwise we would already have a couple of players training with us now like some other clubs are doing.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I thought we already were supposed to have picked up one of the ex-Collingwood guys? Was that "fake news"?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    I thought we already were supposed to have picked up one of the ex-Collingwood guys? Was that "fake news"?
    All linked to the VFL team, nothing official has suggested they were candidates for the final list spot. We don't have anyone officially training with the AFL team as far as we know.

Post Thanks / Like

MSD looks imminent.

You would think the ruck, small lockdown defender or winger would be the likely/possible positions of need. Whether we intend to draft that way is another thing.

Is it possible we simply go into, and through the season, with 1 less spot? Has any club done that previously? Is there any benefit to it?
    W00F!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    All linked to the VFL team, nothing official has suggested they were candidates for the final list spot. We don't have anyone officially training with the AFL team as far as we know.
    I checked my history and it was Tyler Brown based on Smith's IG story. Not the most reliable way of figuring that out in hindsight.

Post Thanks / Like

I’d wager we take it to the MSD to fill whatever position has come up as being of biggest need.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
    I’d wager we take it to the MSD to fill whatever position has come up as being of biggest need.
    We NEED an outside mid.

I don't object to the 'wait for the MSD' calls, but this is what we NEED.

We also NEED a developing ruckman but at least with English, Sweet and Lobb we have 'competence' on our list (if not brilliance). To me we can wait until the 2023 draft to fill this.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

11. Likes dog town, Scraggers liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    We NEED an outside mid.

I don't object to the 'wait for the MSD' calls, but this is what we NEED.

We also NEED a developing ruckman but at least with English, Sweet and Lobb we have 'competence' on our list (if not brilliance). To me we can wait until the 2023 draft to fill this.
    I think Sweet may surprise a few this year. He was targeted last year by a number of clubs who could see his potential. It takes 4 - 5 years to learn the trade and he was very raw when he came over from SA. He is actually one of the best tap ruckman going around.

13. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bullies View Post
    I think Sweet may surprise a few this year. He was targeted last year by a number of clubs who could see his potential. It takes 4 - 5 years to learn the trade and he was very raw when he came over from SA. He is actually one of the best tap ruckman going around.
    Yeah tapping it isn't his issue, its catching the bloody thing!
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

15. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I just don't think he can get around the ground fast enough. Hope I'm wrong.

Agree with others we need an outside mid and a ruck to work on.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ratsmac View Post
    Yeah tapping it isn't his issue, it’s catching the bloody thing!
    Just needs to work on catching it, kicking it and being where the ball is

18. Likes ratsmac liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ratsmac View Post
    Yeah tapping it isn't his issue, its catching the bloody thing!
    But tap outs to advantage can be under rated. if he is giving clean ball to our mids it helps with clearences and setting us up. He is also a strong unit in the contest. I think he'll be alright.

Post Thanks / Like

But tap outs to advantage can be under rated. if he is giving clean ball to our mids it helps with clearences and setting us up. He is also a strong unit in the contest. I think he'll be alright.
    Does he have the tank to run games out? He will struggle to make it long-term at senior AFL level if he can't. I like his stoppage work but he needs to cover the ground more. The first H&A game against Melbourne in 2021 really highlighted how far off the pace he was against the best ruckmen.

As an emergency break glass option if English and/or Lobb go down with long-term injuries, he's a decent back-up. I hope he makes it because I'm a fan of his assets. But he's a 50/50 proposition at best right now.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

21. Likes Happy Days, bornadog liked this post