For Sam Darcy, season two of his AFL career feels like a fresh start at the Western Bulldogs.

Marred by injury in his debut season, the 208cm utility showed plenty in a handful of games in the red, white and blue, playing a crunch final in Perth in just his fourth game.

Using his versatility, Darcy enters the 2023 season with the ability to play at either end of the ground for Luke Beveridge’s side.

"It’s been pretty good so far (pre-season),” Darcy said on 3AW’s Wide World of Sports.

“I had a few niggles pre-Christmas but have joined in main training now which has been nice compared to where I was at last season.

“I’ve spent most of my junior career playing up forward and pinch hitting in the ruck. I enjoyed playing back last season. Wherever the team sees me at my best, I’ll be happy to play anywhere.”

Darcy could form a lethal combination with Aaron Naughton and Jamarra Ugle-Hagan in the years to come, but is currently focused on consistency in his footy.

“I get on very well with Jamarra and Naughts. It is pretty exciting to think about – hopefully we can form a good partnership in the years to come with those guys,” he said.

“We are very motivated – across the board everyone has seemed to attack pre-season very well and we’re setting ourselves up to hopefully be there on the last day in September and contend.

“From top to bottom, everyone is setting the standards high and pushing each other. Coming in with the mindset every week to try and get the best out of ourselves.”

Despite having a father synonymous with the Bulldogs faithful, Darcy is intent on making his own legacy and continuing his love for the sport.

“Dad is pretty good,” he said.

“He doesn’t put any pressure on me or anything like that. He’s always there in the background if I ever need any support.

“I just love the game. I want to get the best out of myself and see where it can take me. Growing up I always wanted to do this – having the goals of winning premierships and everything else in the game.”

Link