Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  25
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Treloar joins exclusive club

Link

When Adam Treloar runs out for the Bulldogs against Fremantle after the bye, he will become a member of a very exclusive circle.

For Treloar, it will be his 50th game as a Dog, following his 79 games for GWS and 94 for Collingwood.

As a result, Treloar will become just the fourth player in V/AFL history to play 50 or more matches for three different clubs. And he has club links to the first two footballers to do so.

2023 Season Ave

• DISPOSALS 30.1ELITE
    • TACKLES 4.7 ABOVE AVG.
    • CENTRE CLEARANCES 2.1 ABOVE AVG.
    • HANDBALL 18 ELITE

That player was Glenn Coleman. Coleman's VFL career began as a Lion. He played 64 games from 1980 to 1985 before joining the Sydney Swans in 1986. Coleman's four years in Sydney yielded 61 games.

In 1990, the year the VFL became the AFL, Coleman changed clubs again, joining Footscray. In his first season as Bulldog, Coleman made an impact in more ways than one.

Coleman polled nine Brownlow Medal votes that year (teammate Tony Liberatore winning the award with 18), and capped off his excellent season in a most unusual way. In the final game of the season, the man mountain collided with one of the point posts at the Barkly Street end of Whitten Oval, shearing it off at the base!

Hawthorn's 'Lethal' Leigh Matthews is celebrated for snapping a point post halfway up, but Coleman went one better!

Glenn Coleman collides with a behind post during the 1990, round 22 match against the Brisbane Bears at Western Oval (Image: Supplied).

Coleman continued to have an impact for the Dogs in more traditional ways, playing two fine seasons in the hoops before injury brought his career to a close in 1993.

In 1992, Coleman was one of the stars in the Bulldogs' Round 11 win against reigning premiers Hawthorn. That match took his Footscray games tally to 50, making him first player to be 50-plus-game for the separate clubs.
    Nearly two decades passed before the second of those came along. Leigh Brown kicked off his AFL career with 63 games at Fremantle, 21 in each of his three seasons as a Docker.

Brown became a Kangaroo in 2004, clocking up 118 games with North Melbourne. In 2009, Adam Treloar's second club ? Collingwood ? became Brown's third. The 65 games Brown added to his career tally as a Magpie took in three grand finals (two in 2010) and a premiership.

The exclusive club inducted its third member last year when Brad Hill played his 50th game as a Saint. This followed his 95 games for Hawthorn and 54 as a Fremantle Docker.

Adam Treloar will now join Coleman, Brown and Hill as a '50-50-50' player. With luck Treloar will join Brown in an even more elite category by winning an AFL flag at his third club.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Thanks azabob, macca, GVGjr thanked for this post
    Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Treloar joins exclusive club

How good of a player is Adam Treloar? I reckon he is still underrated by our supporters and the media.

It is a shame that he has been somewhat of a journeyman as I tend to think you are not rated as high as you potentially should be.

Would love for Adam to play another 51 games with the dogs as a minimum to get over a 100 games in the red white and blue.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

4. Likes bornadog, josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Treloar is the exception to that list , as he has been a highly paid player in this modern era, after he left GWS. Not sure what Hill is on, but I assume his also paid above average

Leigh Brown was delisted at end of 2008.
    I thought of considering him a unique eker was highly disrespectful until I saw this games record: 246 GAMES! brackets are the goals
    games(goals)
    2000–2002 Fremantle 63 (20)
    2003–2008 North Melbourne 118 (64)
    2009–2011 Collingwood 65 (54)

He was one of the first of the utility journeyman.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by macca View Post
    Treloar is the exception to that list , as he has been a highly paid player in this modern era, after he left GWS. Not sure what Hill is on, but I assume his also paid above average

Leigh Brown was delisted at end of 2008.
    I thought of considering him a unique eker was highly disrespectful until I saw this games record: 246 GAMES! brackets are the goals
    games(goals)
    2000?2002 Fremantle 63 (20)
    2003?2008 North Melbourne 118 (64)
    2009?2011 Collingwood 65 (54)

He was one of the first of the utility journeyman.
    Hill was elite at Freo, no doubt he's on good coin (I assume that contract is still in place)

7. Likes macca liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    How good of a player is Adam Treloar? I reckon he is still underrated by our supporters and the media.

It is a shame that he has been somewhat of a journeyman as I tend to think you are not rated as high as you potentially should be.

Would love for Adam to play another 51 games with the dogs as a minimum to get over a 100 games in the red white and blue.
    You have to wonder if his friendship with Dunkley has worked against him in the eye of some of our supporters? After seeing him at training sessions I've been impressed with the way he manages himself and his performances in games hasn't disappointed.

I'm really happy that we have him at the club and hopefully he stays fit and healthy for us.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

9. Likes macca, josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    You have to wonder if his friendship with Dunkley has worked against him in the eye of some of our supporters? After seeing him at training sessions I've been impressed with the way he manages himself and his performances in games hasn't disappointed.

I'm really happy that we have him at the club and hopefully he stays fit and healthy for us.
    He is a true professional the way he trains and conducts himself. Averaging 30 plus per week, he is a vital cog in the machine.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

11. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by macca View Post
    According to the Herald Sun top 100 paid players article yesterday both Hill and Treloar are on $825-$925k, placing them just inside the top 20 in the league.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    He is a true professional the way he trains and conducts himself. Averaging 30 plus per week, he is a vital cog in the machine.
    Very true. When he kicks a goal on the run it's typically an exciting one.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    According to the Herald Sun top 100 paid players article yesterday both Hill and Treloar are on $825-$925k, placing them just inside the top 20 in the league.
    I wonder if that is with some of the money that was back ended in his contracted with Collingwood?

Post Thanks / Like

Galaxy had that "50 games for 3 clubs" stat all to himself for a long time. He is one of the key players responsible for my favourite non 2016 year supporting our club - 1992. His bullocking work across half-forward worked perfectly in tandem with 19yo Chris Grant, and Del Re deep forward kicking 70 goals that season in our forward line was the cherry on top.

Treloar has been a very good player for us - I hope he can help us push for a premiership while he is still at the peak of his powers as a player. He very nearly helped us get there in 2021.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

16. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Galaxy had that "50 games for 3 clubs" stat all to himself for a long time. He is one of the key players responsible for my favourite non 2016 year supporting our club - 1992. His bullocking work across half-forward worked perfectly in tandem with 19yo Chris Grant, and Del Re deep forward kicking 70 goals that season our forward line was the cherry on top.

Treloar has been a very good player for us - I hope he can help us push for a premiership while he is still at the peak of his powers as a player. He very nealry helped us get there in 2021.
    I've often pondered how good would an English and Coleman double act be.

The support he would also give Naughton and JUH would be insane.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post

That is a really good observation and I reckon is on the money big time.

I can see why Treloar and Dunkley became so close around their love of American sports and how professional they both were off field.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    He was on a reported $600k pa, with Collingwood paying $300k pa in owed money on top of that.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

20. Likes bornadog, WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Still a favourite of mine.

No better sight than Treloar running at goal.

Hope he can play well into his 30s.
    W00F!

22. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The eker journeyman trophy definitely goes to Dale Kickett who played for 5 clubs. I can't think of another player who played for more (Fitzroy, West Coast, St.Kilda, Fremantle and Essendon).
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.