Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  39

View Poll Results: Bevo drives me crazy when...

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Non-Ruckman in the ruck

    16 53.33%
  • Bont starts ANYWHERE but the CBD

    1 3.33%
  • Caleb on the last line of defence vs TALL

    3 10.00%
  • Players drop back behind the mark 'outside 5'

    5 16.67%
  • Grouchy press conferences

    5 16.67%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 47
  1. #31
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    13,245
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: We all LOVE Bevo (of course), but SOMETIMES...

    For mine it is grouchy press conferences.

    When Bevo is on, he is one of the best footy people to listen to. Too often he gets into us against the world mode.

    Having said that, I totally understand why he does it because the amount of times his comments are taken out of context and become click bait.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Algester, Qld
    Posts
    8,268
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: We all LOVE Bevo (of course), but SOMETIMES...

    Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    And sometimes he can't see what everyone else can.
    Possible EW, although I think its often a case that we can't see or get access to the data or supporting information that leads Bevo and his staff to settle on a course of action.

    Just knowing a bit about how Bevo operated during his time in my organisation, he's not a gut feel kinda guy... he makes decisions based on the information presented. Doesn't mean he gets things right always, but I just don't think that when he does get it wrong its' because he's blind to what others can see.

    I do, however, have a suspicion (based on conversations with his previous boss at my work) that his biggest positive trait could also possibly be his biggest weakness at times. His boss once told me that Bevo is loyal to the hilt, and would always support his team, even when it was time to perhaps change tack or cut his losses.

    I suspect that once he and his team agree on something, he's loathe to change course until they've exhausted every and all opportunities to make it work. Not out of pure stubbornness per se, but out of belief in his team and their decision making process.

  3. Thanks hujsh, jeemak, Mofra thanked for this post
    Likes bornadog, dog town, 1eyedog, Matjoh liked this post
  4. #33
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    East of the West
    Posts
    9,137
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: We all LOVE Bevo (of course), but SOMETIMES...

    Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Cordy - who replaces him? We have never had a decent KP

    Ruck - who? Please don't say Sweet
    In both cases the answer is "an inanimate carbon rod".

    Or heaven forbid let's recruit/target players that fill that need so we don't have to play Cordy or Sweet. But yeah nah, all those people (and plenty on this board) commenting loudly and often about our recruiting needs are all wrong and Beveridge is always right.

    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    Possible EW, although I think its often a case that we can't see or get access to the data or supporting information that leads Bevo and his staff to settle on a course of action.

    Just knowing a bit about how Bevo operated during his time in my organisation, he's not a gut feel kinda guy... he makes decisions based on the information presented. Doesn't mean he gets things right always, but I just don't think that when he does get it wrong its' because he's blind to what others can see.

    I do, however, have a suspicion (based on conversations with his previous boss at my work) that his biggest positive trait could also possibly be his biggest weakness at times. His boss once told me that Bevo is loyal to the hilt, and would always support his team, even when it was time to perhaps change tack or cut his losses.

    I suspect that once he and his team agree on something, he's loathe to change course until they've exhausted every and all opportunities to make it work. Not out of pure stubbornness per se, but out of belief in his team and their decision making process.
    Maybe you're right and his loyalty is a double edged sword. Hey I love Beveridge, I just can't come at people who think he's above criticism.
    "It's over. It's all over."

  5. Likes GVGjr, Yankee Hotel Foxtrot liked this post
  6. #34
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    10,762
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: We all LOVE Bevo (of course), but SOMETIMES...

    Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    In both cases the answer is "an inanimate carbon rod".

    Or heaven forbid let's recruit/target players that fill that need so we don't have to play Cordy or Sweet. But yeah nah, all those people (and plenty on this board) commenting loudly and often about our recruiting needs are all wrong and Beveridge is always right.



    Maybe you're right and his loyalty is a double edged sword. Hey I love Beveridge, I just can't come at people who think he's above criticism.
    Like Matthew Lobbe

  7. #35
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Wherever the dogs are playing
    Posts
    61,211
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: We all LOVE Bevo (of course), but SOMETIMES...

    Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    I just can't come at people who think he's above criticism.
    Of course he can be criticised, just read all the posts.
    FFC: Established 1883

    Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

  8. #36
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    E.J. Whitten Stand
    Posts
    17,203
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: We all LOVE Bevo (of course), but SOMETIMES...

    I chose non-ruck in the ruck as it exemplifies our biggest issue over the last 4-5 season: the team has lacked balance - playing too many mids and shoe horning them in the forward line, ruck setup, lack of any defensive intercepting.

    It’s partly a recruiting issue too, but when it’s a regular occurrence over a 4-5 year period, the buck stops with Bevo.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

  9. Likes GVGjr, Yankee Hotel Foxtrot liked this post
  10. #37
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Doglands
    Posts
    39,729
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: We all LOVE Bevo (of course), but SOMETIMES...

    Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    I chose non-ruck in the ruck as it exemplifies our biggest issue over the last 4-5 season: the team has lacked balance - playing too many mids and shoe horning them in the forward line, ruck setup, lack of any defensive intercepting.

    It’s partly a recruiting issue too, but when it’s a regular occurrence over a 4-5 year period, the buck stops with Bevo.
    All coaches need to improvise on match days due to injuries or something not going to plan but we seem to get invested in in what should be a short term fix and roll it out over a period of time. With Lobb it should solve the the support for English challenge during match days by only having 2 genuine ruckman on the list could catch us out.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

  11. #38
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,056
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: We all LOVE Bevo (of course), but SOMETIMES...

    I vote for dropping back from the mark. I have yet to see any real advantage in this move.

    Unless you consider being 5 meters closer to wherever the ball lands as an advantage.

    I get that the new rules reduce the man on the mark to a useless imitation of an inanimate statue, but this practice of regularly giving time and space to the opposition is difficult to accept.

    This (to my mind) is not good practice, either in the phone box, or the Tardis.
    The truth will set you free,
    but first it will piss you off. ... Gloria Steinem.

  12. Likes GVGjr, Matjoh liked this post
  13. #39
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    3,586
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: We all LOVE Bevo (of course), but SOMETIMES...

    I’m hoping the giving up 5m on mark is curtailed, especially anywhere close to our defensive 50.

    A few things that have puzzled me, hoping with Lade’s extra help and a more harmonious playing group these conundrums are a thing of the past:
    1) Puzzling MC selections
    2) Inability to try something different to counteract when oppo has a run on
    3) Refusal to tag an oppo mid who is tearing us apart.

    I still think Bevo is a good coach and I reckon he can take us to a second premiership this year or next.

  14. #40
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    West of somewhere.
    Posts
    6,226
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: We all LOVE Bevo (of course), but SOMETIMES...

    Quote Originally Posted by josie View Post
    I’m hoping the giving up 5m on mark is curtailed, especially anywhere close to our defensive 50.

    A few things that have puzzled me, hoping with Lade’s extra help and a more harmonious playing group these conundrums are a thing of the past:
    1) Puzzling MC selections
    2) Inability to try something different to counteract when oppo has a run on
    3) Refusal to tag an oppo mid who is tearing us apart.

    I still think Bevo is a good coach and I reckon he can take us to a second premiership this year or next.
    See - I think your points 1 + 3 are just part of 'who he is' - fundamental Bevo 'stuff' that define 'HIS' footy belief system...
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

  15. #41
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Mulligan's Boogie-board
    Posts
    13,775
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: We all LOVE Bevo (of course), but SOMETIMES...

    Quote Originally Posted by josie View Post
    I’m hoping the giving up 5m on mark is curtailed, especially anywhere close to our defensive 50.

    A few things that have puzzled me, hoping with Lade’s extra help and a more harmonious playing group these conundrums are a thing of the past:
    1) Puzzling MC selections
    2) Inability to try something different to counteract when oppo has a run on
    3) Refusal to tag an oppo mid who is tearing us apart.

    I still think Bevo is a good coach and I reckon he can take us to a second premiership this year or next.
    I think Bevo is a victim of perception sometimes.
    People still run with him not being a fan of ruckmen, despite playign two ruckmen for much of his tenure (Camhead / Roughy & Boyd in 2015 & 2016). I'll agree he just doesn't rate immobile tap-only ruckmen, but he's hardly on his own there.

    Libba in the 2016 GF begs to differ on the bolded point too - Josh Kennedy was easily BOG in the first half, Libba's job in the second half was a big reason behind us getting over the line.
    Wally's last midfield games were run-with roles. He destroyed Heppel one game until rolling his ankle at 3/4 time.

    I do think he tries to be 'too clever' sometimes (Wood forward as never going to work) but it can, sometimes, work (e.g. Naughton forward, Dale back. I'm a big fan of playing players to their strengths and sometimes it seems like Bevo doesn't do that.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

  16. Likes SonofScray, jeemak liked this post
  17. #42
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,639
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: We all LOVE Bevo (of course), but SOMETIMES...

    I went for the grouchy press conferences. This stemmed from 2022 where he seemed so cranky all the time. Clearly he was distracted by something so hopefully he has better support around him this year so he can focus on what he does best, coaching.

    I'm not sure if my next point is a Bevo thing of a list management thing but the club's attitude to recruiting ruckmen. I've generally felt under the Bevo reign we have been a ruckman or two short on our list. Consequently we have had to use non ruckmen at critical times in matches. Thats stupid in my opinion. It is one of the most important positions on the ground and I feel our attitude to it has been costly in recent seasons.
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

  18. #43
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Doglands
    Posts
    39,729
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: We all LOVE Bevo (of course), but SOMETIMES...

    Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    I went for the grouchy press conferences. This stemmed from 2022 where he seemed so cranky all the time. Clearly he was distracted by something so hopefully he has better support around him this year so he can focus on what he does best, coaching.

    I'm not sure if my next point is a Bevo thing of a list management thing but the club's attitude to recruiting ruckmen. I've generally felt under the Bevo reign we have been a ruckman or two short on our list. Consequently we have had to use non ruckmen at critical times in matches. Thats stupid in my opinion. It is one of the most important positions on the ground and I feel our attitude to it has been costly in recent seasons.
    For the second point it's definitely a Bevo thing more than the recruiters. For what is a specialized position and one that can often produce more frequent injuries we should have more depth on our list.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

  19. #44
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Wherever the dogs are playing
    Posts
    61,211
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: We all LOVE Bevo (of course), but SOMETIMES...

    Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    For the second point it's definitely a Bevo thing more than the recruiters. For what is a specialized position and one that can often produce more frequent injuries we should have more depth on our list.
    The misconception is that Bevo doesn't like ruckman, but as has been stated previously, he likes a particular type of ruckman, ie an English type who are mobile and can play more than just a tap ruckman.

    Agree, we should have recruited some developing rucks instead of trying to trade for a ruck that doesn't exist. Like MJP has said many types, we should be drafting, or placing on the rookie list a ruck every year.
    FFC: Established 1883

    Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

  20. #45
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Doglands
    Posts
    39,729
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: We all LOVE Bevo (of course), but SOMETIMES...

    Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    The misconception is that Bevo doesn't like ruckman, but as has been stated previously, he likes a particular type of ruckman, ie an English type who are mobile and can play more than just a tap ruckman.

    Agree, we should have recruited some developing rucks instead of trying to trade for a ruck that doesn't exist. Like MJP has said many types, we should be drafting, or placing on the rookie list a ruck every year.
    It's actually not a misconception it's confirmation. If you only want a certain type of ruckman and for whatever reason year after year you can't identify it or get them to your club then you need to be more flexible and we haven't done that.
    We have just 2 ruckman on our list and that is risky and before Lobb gets added to the discussion all of the clubs comments about his recruitment were around him playing alongside of Naughton. He's a match day forward who kicked 36 goals last season and will provide a vastly improved 2nd ruckman support for us.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •