Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  7
    Post Thanks / Like

Great Tassie team Glenorchy Magpies in Trouble

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl...378f3eb455ad68

This would be a disaster for Tasmanian football especially and for AFL generally. Glenorchy Magpies are one of the great clubs in the state. Back in the great TFL days of the 70's they were a fierce rival to my team North Hobart Demons. These were can't miss matches. Great names like John Devine & Peter Hudson opposed to each other. At school us kids couldn't wait to rock up to North Hobart oval on a Saturday. Or in my case if they were playing at KGV I'd jump the fence from the soccer ground to sneak in.

In those days the TFL consisted of 6 teams based in Hobart. Sadly Sandy Bay and New Norfolk are long gone, Hobart Tigers are gone, from the top tier. North Hobart have been severely compromised in recent years, forced to merge, kicked out etc,

The TFL once had rivalries with the strong northern leagues NTFA & NWFU. I used to love going to these games. Footy was pretty good.

A lot has happened to football in the state since those days. Many teams & leagues lost across all levels or having to reform in some other way. Football is in trouble in Tassie due to mismanagement over many years and complete neglect by the AFL. Now another great club is on the brink because no one wants to play.

If Glenorchy goes under this would be embarrassing for all concerned right on the eve of an AFL license for Tasmania being awarded.
    Last edited by The Doctor; 25-01-2023 at 09:46 AM.
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

2. Thanks GVGjr, Mofra thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Great Tassie team Glenorchy Magpies in Trouble

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    Now another great club is on the brink because no one wants to play.

If Glenorchy goes under this would be embarrassing for all concerned right on the eve of an AFL license for Tasmania being awarded.
    Isn't this the crux of the problem, ie no one wants to play? What has happened and young teens don't want to play footy?

The AFL needs to invest more funds into grass roots football.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I've mentioned a few times that Tassie football is massively under funded and it needs a lot of support. It would be a huge shame to lose Glenorchy
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Isn't this the crux of the problem, ie no one wants to play? What has happened and young teens don't want to play footy?
    This is such a complicated issue.

I maintain that so long as footy remains tied to the 'two nights of training + game on Saturday' (three nights for state league players) that EVERY competition is in danger.

There is a place for that - no doubt. But investment in community facilities that enable games to be played at night mid-week is essential for footy to survive. Exactly why this is so hard to fathom in 2023 is beyond me - the world is complete chaos in that everyone is just busy ALL THE TIME. Committing 20x Saturday's per year - aka, a large junk of your downtime - to a game of footy is a sacrifice a lot of people aren't prepared to make in a world where there are a bazillion entertainment options.

As for the 'kids', they all drink the AFL coolade and then when it becomes clear they aren't going to play '200 moderately brilliant games for Richmond' (sic) they simply become one of the coodabeens.

The world has changed - the footy model has not changed...what do we expect???
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

6. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post

I maintain that so long as footy remains tied to the 'two nights of training + game on Saturday' (three nights for state league players) that EVERY competition is in danger.

There is a place for that - no doubt. But investment in community facilities that enable games to be played at night mid-week is essential for footy to survive. Exactly why this is so hard to fathom in 2023 is beyond me - the world is complete chaos in that everyone is just busy ALL THE TIME. Committing 20x Saturday's per year - aka, a large junk of your downtime - to a game of footy is a sacrifice a lot of people aren't prepared to make in a world where there are a bazillion entertainment options.

As for the 'kids', they all drink the AFL coolade and then when it becomes clear they aren't going to play '200 moderately brilliant games for Richmond' (sic) they simply become one of the coodabeens.

Totally agree. Same thing is happening in Victoria, especially country towns. Of course one issue is, lack of or losing population numbers, is not helping the situation. The AFL are just putting their heads into sand because they keep saying attendance is up and nothing wrong with AFL. They seem to be ignoring grassroots.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Not just your game. You should really be there for probably the U18s but at least the Reserves if your a Senior and stay for the Seniors if you're a reserve player.

Really used to just eat the entire day

Post Thanks / Like

Having been (and continue to be) involved in local footy most of my life I don't see how this would work at all.

Clubs rely on gate takings, food and bar sales to operate. Nobody is going to watch a game of footy on a cold, wet Wednesday night in July in Victoria. When do the juniors play? I know things often operate differently in metro but we have 4 games of footy and 7 games of netball to get through on a Saturday, can't do that during the week.

Certainly there are many challenges to grass roots footy and facilities do continue to improve, however few grounds I have seen have lighting good enough for spectators. Our womens team play some games after the men on Saturday nights and it can be a challenge to clearly see parts of the ground despite our lights supposedly being of the required standard. But then we could have the MCG lights and people still aren't going to turn up midweek.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Having been (and continue to be) involved in local footy most of my life I don't see how this would work at all.
    I am so glad you have asked!

First off, we ALL need to accept that things need to change...and that not everyone wants the SAME THINGS out of their footy participation.

1/. YES - we still run 18/side games on Saturdays...but we don't have to smash every peg into that round hole.
    2/. The 'CLUB' still operates (and there is a fair bit of junior footy about this point) BUT:

- Instead of 2x training nights, some players train once and on their 'other' training night they are playing a game.
    - This game is modified rules - in particular modified numbers (15/side) and has some changes to contact rules (hands in the back etc are included) to minimise the chance of injury.
    - The 18/side games still happen on a weekend but is for those who want to take their footy more seriously etc.

I have lots (and lots) of thoughts and comments...

I love your input around cold July nights...see, to me, these modified rules games (15/side) should work like a social basketball calendar 'with benefits'. Season#1: Games commence first weekend in March with finals in the 2nd week of June. Then they go on break during which time those who want to stay involved can continue to be involved at their clubs, training with their 18/side colleages and even participating if that's their thing. Season#2 we then run as a 'super series' where game times are further reduced - 2x 20minute halves - and it goes from middle of August through until the end of October...and allows players from the 18/side comps to slide back and stay involved when their seasons are over...

Is lighting good enough? Hell no. But guess what - lights are relatively cheap now (compared to even 10 years ago) and this CAN be done.

Like I said, I have a million thoughts on this and have put pen to paper on a lot of stuff...basically, what is happening in junior footy right now with the drop off from age 12==> 13 and again 15==> 16 is a complete farce...then trying to keep kids engaged as they see their AFL dream taken away and they wonder what the point is??? Footy is FUN. So give them a fun based option that doesn't make them feel they are playing for sheep stations. Hell, anyone will fill in for a Tuesday night basketball game but ask someone from work just to fill in for your footy team on Saturday? LOL. Number 1, they don't want too 'cos their concerned about injury. Number 2, due to the stupidity of the clearance rules that govern local and community based footy clubs, they aren't permitted to play even if they WANT to...

Back to the first point of my post. Something has to change and pointing back 100-years isn't helping. We need to find ways to keep players engaged and competing at SOME level. We need to provide a 'serious footy' option for those who want that...and a 'FUN Footy' option for those who want that...and allow players to 'slide' between competitions as it suits their life...Missus just had a baby - "I'm not quitting, I'm just sliding back to the 15/side team this year boys - next year I'll be back when I can commit to training again...".

All things are possibly but we have to open our minds.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

11. Likes bornadog, GVGjr, chef, Smads57, SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

A shame if the Club can't get going.

Picking up on MJP and BADs conversation about participation, a researcher at VU put out this article recently which I found really interesting in the context of pandemic recovery, engaging children and teens and keeping people engaged longer. Recommended reading.

Link: https://www.frontiersin.org/articles...B14ImUNiDi_TKk

One of the big issues I think is the traditional view of footy at all levels as existing within an elite pathway. I gave it up when after moving across from the VAFA to a local WRFL club who were really struggling, but as the tide turned, and cash flowed back in got pushed out by blokes who came over on good money. Then would disappear and pop up one club over next year etc. Remember going back to watch my junior club win its first senior premiership in years and there was only one local who had come from the juniors all the way through to senior footy. Didn't like that.

Also thought about a comeback in my late 20s, after I got sick of a few seasons playing soccer. Just couldn't get back into the swing of committing the time and effort and money when all I really wanted t do was train, get math fit and have a kick. Took up ice hockey from scratch instead and absolutely love it because but has a nice balance as a recreational pursuit but good quality club environments too.

13. Thanks The Doctor, GVGjr thanked for this post
    Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I am so glad you have asked!

First off, we ALL need to accept that things need to change...and that not everyone wants the SAME THINGS out of their footy participation.

1/. YES - we still run 18/side games on Saturdays...but we don't have to smash every peg into that round hole.
    2/. The 'CLUB' still operates (and there is a fair bit of junior footy about this point) BUT:

- Instead of 2x training nights, some players train once and on their 'other' training night they are playing a game.
    - This game is modified rules - in particular modified numbers (15/side) and has some changes to contact rules (hands in the back etc are included) to minimise the chance of injury.
    - The 18/side games still happen on a weekend but is for those who want to take their footy more seriously etc.

I have lots (and lots) of thoughts and comments...

I love your input around cold July nights...see, to me, these modified rules games (15/side) should work like a social basketball calendar 'with benefits'. Season#1: Games commence first weekend in March with finals in the 2nd week of June. Then they go on break during which time those who want to stay involved can continue to be involved at their clubs, training with their 18/side colleages and even participating if that's their thing. Season#2 we then run as a 'super series' where game times are further reduced - 2x 20minute halves - and it goes from middle of August through until the end of October...and allows players from the 18/side comps to slide back and stay involved when their seasons are over...

Is lighting good enough? Hell no. But guess what - lights are relatively cheap now (compared to even 10 years ago) and this CAN be done.

Like I said, I have a million thoughts on this and have put pen to paper on a lot of stuff...basically, what is happening in junior footy right now with the drop off from age 12==> 13 and again 15==> 16 is a complete farce...then trying to keep kids engaged as they see their AFL dream taken away and they wonder what the point is??? Footy is FUN. So give them a fun based option that doesn't make them feel they are playing for sheep stations. Hell, anyone will fill in for a Tuesday night basketball game but ask someone from work just to fill in for your footy team on Saturday? LOL. Number 1, they don't want too 'cos their concerned about injury. Number 2, due to the stupidity of the clearance rules that govern local and community based footy clubs, they aren't permitted to play even if they WANT to...

Back to the first point of my post. Something has to change and pointing back 100-years isn't helping. We need to find ways to keep players engaged and competing at SOME level. We need to provide a 'serious footy' option for those who want that...and a 'FUN Footy' option for those who want that...and allow players to 'slide' between competitions as it suits their life...Missus just had a baby - "I'm not quitting, I'm just sliding back to the 15/side team this year boys - next year I'll be back when I can commit to training again...".

All things are possibly but we have to open our minds.
    I certainly understand what you are saying and don't disagree with most of your points. I am certainly not in the everything must remain as it always has camp. Anything that can improve participation and the game has to be considered. I have seen many innovations and changes over the years.

However 99% of the game exists outside elite pathways. The players who aren't superstars and don't want to train twice a week still play - in the reserves. Your concept may work in some areas, exclusively metro I would suspect.

There would be also be significant problems with ground availability. Around my area there simply are not enough grounds for a growing population and the local council are a basket case. New netball courts and rooms at our ground have taken over 2 years and are still not complete.

Without going on further I just don't see it for a number of reasons, but the conversation is certainly worth having.