Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  7

Threaded View

Post Thanks / Like

Great Tassie team Glenorchy Magpies in Trouble

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl...378f3eb455ad68

This would be a disaster for Tasmanian football especially and for AFL generally. Glenorchy Magpies are one of the great clubs in the state. Back in the great TFL days of the 70's they were a fierce rival to my team North Hobart Demons. These were can't miss matches. Great names like John Devine & Peter Hudson opposed to each other. At school us kids couldn't wait to rock up to North Hobart oval on a Saturday. Or in my case if they were playing at KGV I'd jump the fence from the soccer ground to sneak in.

In those days the TFL consisted of 6 teams based in Hobart. Sadly Sandy Bay and New Norfolk are long gone, Hobart Tigers are gone, from the top tier. North Hobart have been severely compromised in recent years, forced to merge, kicked out etc,

The TFL once had rivalries with the strong northern leagues NTFA & NWFU. I used to love going to these games. Footy was pretty good.

A lot has happened to football in the state since those days. Many teams & leagues lost across all levels or having to reform in some other way. Football is in trouble in Tassie due to mismanagement over many years and complete neglect by the AFL. Now another great club is on the brink because no one wants to play.

If Glenorchy goes under this would be embarrassing for all concerned right on the eve of an AFL license for Tasmania being awarded.
    Last edited by The Doctor; 25-01-2023 at 09:46 AM.
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

2. Thanks GVGjr, Mofra thanked for this post