Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  38
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Adam Cooney

Post Thanks / Like

Adam Cooney

In light of the most recent article (a very good read), I thought we'd start up a thread on Coons because there's quite a bit to discuss.

1 - How good could Cooney have been had it not been for his chronic knee injury? He wins a Brownlow at a very young age of 22 and has the full package: explosive speed, wins the ball inside and outside the contest, kicks plenty of goals as a mid, good mark overhead, very strong.

We'll probably never know, but could Cooney have won multiple brownlows? Could he have become one of the game's best, up there with names like Judd, Buckley and co?

2 - The article notes that he's feeling good, and if anything, felt better in the second half of 2013 than he did in the first half. Pretty remarkable given he was very close to a forced retirement. In any case, he played largely across half back but he does say he hopes to play more midfield.

Where do you see Cooney playing/having an influence? Can he go forward again? A fit and in form Cooney makes a monumental difference to our side, particularly once some of these younger guys develop in the next 1-2 years.
    W00F!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Adam Cooney

I think midfield is not a bad position. He's a big unit, and great at getting out those overhead handballs to the outside runner. He creates good overlap, and is a pretty accurate kick. Nice to see the flowing locks back too!
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

It's great to see him happy. It was always a sour sight seeing Coons laboring on the field. With Cooney running on top of the ground again it really does give us a formidable midfield edge.

Post Thanks / Like

I always think what could have been regarding Cooney. Having Cooney, Griffen and Higgins fully fit we'd have one of the more formidable midfields around. Add a fully fit Tom Williams and some of our KPP woes are fixed as well.

Cooney at top flight v Griffen at top flight... Who gets the tag?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dazb View Post

It's a good question and probably no real correct answer but I think Cooney does, breakaway speed and probably the better kick
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I think he will pretty much play a similar role to last year but may end up with more games in the midfield if his knee can hold up.

At his explosive best, he is a real star and has that x factor to change games. Lets hope he hold up for 2014.

But things are much better, now.“This pre-season I have just been having some maintenance, some PRP (platelet rich plasma) injections (to stimulate cartilage growth) pretty much only when I need it,” he said.
    “It’s been pretty good. I’ve been doing pretty solid leg weights and some pretty solid squats which I haven’t done for a few years.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

It's an interesting question, who's better at their best?

Have to say Cooney but it's close. It'd be amazing if they could both do it at the same time - here's hoping.
    W00F!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    Have to say Cooney but it's close. It'd be amazing if they could both do it at the same time - here's hoping.
    In a burst and over a quarter, Cooney. Cooney's absolute best is just a little higher.

Over a whole game under pressure, I really think Griff has grown last year - and his efforts on one leg in the semi against the Swans was one of the best Bulldog efforts I've seen (backing it up with 47 against the Swans in 2013 was a huge effort as well).
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

"and he no longer cops a spray from his wife about “hardening up” when he was feeling deflated about the injury."

Did have a giggle at this bit
    My life is a very complicated drinking game.

Post Thanks / Like

I always think what could have been regarding Cooney. Having Cooney, Griffen and Higgins fully fit we'd have one of the more formidable midfields around. Add a fully fit Tom Williams and some of our KPP woes are fixed as well.

At this stage obviously every single coach earmarks Griffen, he is just so elite at winning his own ball now. Griffen has gone well past Cooney in terms of minutes influencing a game but I understand your point - at full flight I reckon most taggers would have their hands full with either one of them!

Hopefully Coons can get back to somewhere near his best because he adds so much zip and is an excellent finisher.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't believe we can judge who's better out of Cooney and Griffen until Cooney gets the sort of regular tagging that Griff has had for years. Let Griff off the leash of a tagger and we'd see who's better. Also Griff's leadership on field and his performance in finals has shown the depth of his character. Cooney needed to cop a blast from Rocket before he put in his outstanding finals quarter.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    Where do you see Cooney playing/having an influence? Can he go forward again? A fit and in form Cooney makes a monumental difference to our side, particularly once some of these younger guys develop in the next 1-2 years.
    Although he hasn't set the world on fire, he seems to be picking up a lot of possessions and his fitness levels seem pretty good.

A few errant handballs and kicks but I think he has done well in his first three games.

What a run down the middle of the ground in the first with Crameri putting the ball in front of him and Coons running into an open goal. I loved it.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Although he hasn't set the world on fire, he seems to be picking up a lot of possessions and his fitness levels seem pretty good.

A few errant handballs and kicks but I think he has done well in his first three games.

What a run down the middle of the ground in the first with Crameri putting the ball in front of him and Coons running into an open goal. I loved it.
    Tremendous vision from Crameri too wasn't it? I groaned when he kicked it, thought he had bombed to absolutely nothing

Post Thanks / Like

Had a trip out to Gippsland to deal with yesterday, so didn't see the game. Mark Maclure on the radio basically lambasted him throughout the pre-match for being a one way player and then sniggered at Cooney being on the end of that one.

Having said that, he also said something along the lines of Stevens needing to provide run until he was advised Williams was in the side in his place.........