Thanks Thanks:  103
Likes Likes:  142

View Poll Results: Leading goal kicker in 2023?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • Lobb

8 16.00%
  • Naughton

31 62.00%
  • Weightman

2 4.00%
  • Jamarra

8 16.00%
  • Bont

0 0%
  • Treloar

0 0%
  • English

0 0%
  • JJ

0 0%
  • Other

1 2.00%
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Who will be our leading goal kicker in 2023?

We've got a lot of potential in our forward half this coming season, and I suppose an expectation the goal scoring load may be shared more equally across the board.

So, who do you think ends up our leading goal kicker and what gives them the edge (or makes them the teams preferred avenue) to topping the leader board?

I'm going to nominate Lobb. I think he's got a different look (lead and mark) that will mean he's less reliant on big pack busting and we know he's got a long range and likes Marvel on my limited viewing of him there.

I'd pick Naughton and Cody to round out the top 3.

2. Thanks azabob thanked for this post
    Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Who will be our leading goal kicker in 2023?

Quote Originally Posted by Go_Dogs View Post
    I’m going to nominate Lobb. I think he’s got a different look (lead and mark) that will mean he’s less reliant on big pack busting and we know he’s got a long range and likes Marvel on my limited viewing of him there.

I’d pick Naughton and Cody to round out the top 3.
    You best cast your vote then

Now you mention it you are spot on, we currently don't have the lead and mark type player on our list.

Lobb will be a great point of difference.

I went with Naughton purely because he typically has 100 shots on goal a year and I'm confident he will kick more goals than he misses.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

4. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Aza.

Naughton leading the charge. He’s definitely still our big kahuna in the forward line, and should also benefit from Lobb playing and Marra’s improvement. This forward line is scary…

6. Likes bornadog, BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I went with Jamarra.
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

8. Likes azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    I went with Jamarra.
    I'm fascinated as to why??
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Agreed. I think he’ll improve and his finishing is solid, but would be MASSIVE if he scores more than Naughts and Lobb.

Post Thanks / Like

I've probably jumped the gun but I've always been a sucker for exciting young forwards. Naughton or Flea probably the favourites.

I feel there is a great opportunity for him this year. His encouraging natural development combined with Lobb & Naughton likely to get the best defenders opens up opportunity for him. He's a natural goal kicker, looks more settled in the senior team and hopefully more confident. I loved his game v Melbourne last year where he took the game by the scruff. He kicked a bag that day and think we will see a few more of these games. The talk of Naughton playing a little further upfield at CHF and Weightman spending time midfield might also open up chances for him to hit the scoreboard.

He's a smokey but if there were odds over 10-1 I'd lay a fiver on it.

12. Likes GVGjr, Bulldog4life, BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Went Cody he can kick goals quickly and is accurate. Needs to play HIS role though. This is easily the best forward line we've ever had.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    This is easily the best forward line we've ever had.
    Pieman, Lally, Super, Jock, Budgie with Choco chipping in was pretty handy in 85.

Still think we are short a good ground level small forward

15. Likes BornInDroopSt'54, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    I went with Jamarra.
    I agree, for wo reasons.

One is that he will (initially) get the third best tall defender, the best two going to Naughts and Lobb. The other reason is that he doesn't waste his set shots on goal. The opposition just can't afford to let him get his hands on the ball too often.

Also, he is a beautiful, conventional leading forward when he chooses. And will only improve overhead with experience and as his frame matures.

Don't get me wrong, I love Astro Naught with his exciting attack on the ball, which always make me fear for his safety. And if the team ever learn to deliver the ball to Cody's advantage, he should continue to regularly trouble the scorers.
    The truth will set you free,
    but first it will piss you off. ... Gloria Steinem.

17. Thanks BornInDroopSt'54 thanked for this post
    Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanette54 View Post
    I agree, for wo reasons.

One is that he will (initially) get the third best tall defender, the best two going to Naughts and Lobb. The other reason is that he doesn't waste his set shots on goal. The opposition just can't afford to let him get his hands on the ball too often.
    You know he kicked 18.16 last year right?

And Naughton kicked 51.34?

I'm not trying to attack J54 or Doc or anyone else who thinks Jamarra will top the goal-kicking, but there seems to be a narrative out there that Jamarra is a great shot for goal and Naughts is a terrible shot for goal but in 2022 that simply wasn't the case...Naughts was a lot more accurate with more the double the number of shots on goal.

Lobb kicked 36.24 fwiw.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

19. Likes MrMahatma, BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not trying to attack J54 or Doc or anyone else who thinks Jamarra will top the goal-kicking, but there seems to be a narrative out there that Jamarra is a great shot for goal and Naughts is a terrible shot for goal but in 2022 that simply wasn't the case...Naughts was a lot more accurate with more the double the number of shots on goal.

Lobb kicked 36.24 fwiw.
    Marra’s action is beautiful and he flushes balls when he kicks them right, but I do wonder if the hoisting style he uses leaves a little too much room for error. As you said it’s kinda borne out in the results.

Although I also conversely believe that for whatever reason it takes young forwards a few seasons to deal with the nerves of having a set shot in the AFL. So maybe it’s nothing.

It is excellent that Naughton has become so reliable in any event.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

21. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Marra’s action is beautiful and he flushes balls when he kicks them right, but I do wonder if the hoisting style he uses leaves a little too much room for error. As you said it’s kinda borne out in the results.

Although I also conversely believe that for whatever reason it takes young forwards a few seasons to deal with the nerves of having a set shot in the AFL. So maybe it’s nothing.

It is excellent that Naughton has become so reliable in any event.
    Buddy used to bomb long ones and miss close ones with his long levers and booming kick too.

Post Thanks / Like

Lobb kicked 36.24 fwiw.
    Taking into account total shots at goal our main forwards ran like this last season:

Naughton 51.34 from 97 shots @ 53%
    Weighman 36.10 from 57 shots @ 63%
    Jamarra 18.16 from 46 shots @ 39%
    Lobb 36.24 from 74 shots @ 49%

Of course that doesn't break down set shots vs in play or the difficulty of the shots, but it does paint a picture.

As I have said before the idea that Naughton is a poor set shot these days is a fallacy. His figures are fairly standard for most key forwards in the league. Weightman we know is a fantastic set shot, Lobb maybe not quite as good as we thought but perhaps playing more games on his favourite ground in Marvel will help. Jamarra looks good kicking at goal but the reality is he has plenty of work to do to improve his accuracy. 11 fewer shots than Flea for 18 fewer goals, needs to make more of his chances.

24. Thanks Dancin' Douggy thanked for this post
    Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Taking into account total shots at goal our main forwards ran like this last season:

Naughton 51.34 from 97 shots @ 53%
    Weighman 36.10 from 57 shots @ 63%
    Jamarra 18.16 from 46 shots @ 39%
    Lobb 36.24 from 74 shots @ 49%

Of course that doesn't break down set shots vs in play or the difficulty of the shots, but it does paint a picture.

As I have said before the idea that Naughton is a poor set shot these days is a fallacy. His figures are fairly standard for most key forwards in the league. Weightman we know is a fantastic set shot, Lobb maybe not quite as good as we thought but perhaps playing more games on his favourite ground in Marvel will help. Jamarra looks good kicking at goal but the reality is he has plenty of work to do to improve his accuracy. 11 fewer shots than Flea for 18 fewer goals, needs to make more of his chances.
    The impression of Naughton as a poor shot comes from the amount of misses "my mother could have kicked".

He is actually quite good from the 35 to 50 range but blows plenty from inside 20. There needs to be stats for that.

If there are stats for posters I would expect Naughts to be a world record contender. He seems to hit the post a LOT and multiple times some games.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

26. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post