Thanks Thanks:  103
Likes Likes:  142

View Poll Results: Leading goal kicker in 2023?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • Lobb

8 16.00%
  • Naughton

31 62.00%
  • Weightman

2 4.00%
  • Jamarra

8 16.00%
  • Bont

0 0%
  • Treloar

0 0%
  • English

0 0%
  • JJ

0 0%
  • Other

1 2.00%
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Who will be our leading goal kicker in 2023?

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I think that is a long shot at the moment. They seem pretty happy with Bruce in the back line.
    Long shots come off.
    Dave Darcy to half back
    "Bottles" Greenwood to Full back
    Libber (snr) to tagger
    Chris Grant to half back
    Tom Boyd to ruck
    J Christ to...Ah, it's Easter.

Bruce back to the Goal Square.

2. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Likes Bulldog Joe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Even Jake ?Jakey ?The Package? ?Jakey Boy? ?Jakey?? Stringer kinda turned out to be a joke as well.

With the obvious exception of Aaronathan Brown, has anyone who?s been good and stayed good ever won our goal kicking?
    Or Jesse Stringer
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

4. Thanks Sedat thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Merv Hobbs & George Bisset jointly won our goalkicking in 1963 ..... with 16 goals apiece!

I propose the Woof leading goalkicker award is the Hobbs-Bisset Medal.
    "I'll give him a hug before the first bounce and then I'll run into my pack and give them orders to rip him apart."

6. Likes The Doctor, GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelGrip View Post
    Merv Hobbs & George Bisset jointly won our goalkicking in 1963 ..... with 16 goals apiece!

I propose the Woof leading goalkicker award is the Hobbs-Bisset Medal.
    Looking at the list I never realised Charlie Sutton won the goal kicking (jointly) in 1951.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to everyone who suggested a goalkicking great in which to name the Woof goalkicking award. So I've decided for now to stick with the 'Busta Beaser' award in honour of Simon Beasley. However I thought we could honour our goalkicking greats by creating a weekly award in their honour to whoever kicks the most goals each round.

So this week the Round 4 goalkicking award has been named in honour of our 2022 leading goalkicker Aaron Naughton. Did you know that Naughton has now kicked more goals for the Bulldogs than Simon Minton Connell and James Cook combined?

Goalkickers in Round 4 vs Richmond

Naughton 3, Liberatore 2, English 2, Lobb, Daniel, Macrae, Hannan, McComb

Therefore the Aaron Naughton goalkicking award for Round 4 goes to Aaron Naughton!

Leaderboard after round 4

7. Naughton
    6. Jamarra
    3. Baker, Libba, English, Lobb
    2. Williams, Macrae
    1. Bont, Garcia, JJ, Treloar, Daniel, Hannan, McComb

Naughton moves to the lead ahead of Jamarra who left his kicking boots at Marvel Stadium last week. Early Sutton medal favourites Libba & English are making their moves and join Lobb and Baker in equal 3rd. Watch out for dark horse Jack Macrae! Daniel, Hannan & McComb make their debuts on the leaderboard.

I have to say I find this leaderboard so much more interesting than the US Masters leaderboard.

9. Thanks GVGjr, Happy Days, bornadog, josie, Bulldog4life thanked for this post
    Likes Stevo, Jasper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Love it. Thanks Doc!

Post Thanks / Like

The Round 5 goal kicking award honours the great Jason Watts who was our leading goal kicker in 1996.

Watts, if my memory serves me correctly came through the U/19's and made the senior list but was delisted in 1991 without playing a game. He spend the next 2 years with Werribee where he won the 1993 B&F in their premiership year. He was drafted back to us in the 1994 pre season draft (see below) as a mature age mid sized defender. It was a surprise to see him line up in the forward line in 1996. He did a great job in a tough season for the Dogs. he finished with 44 goals for the season. Now what odds would you have got for our top 3 goal kickers in 1996? You could have made a motza;

44 Jason Watts
    36 Daniel Hargraves
    22 Todd Curley

Goalkickers for Round 5 vs Port Adelaide

Weightman 4, Bont 1, Hannan 1, Naughton 1, English 1

The Jason Watts medal goes to Cody Weightman

Leaderboard after Round 5

8. Naughton
    6. Jamarra
    4. English, Weightman
    3. Baker, Lobb, Libba
    2. Williams, Macrae, Bont, Hannan
    1. Garcia, JJ, Treloar, Daniel, McComb

Naughton extends his lead to 2 goals. This could be an unassailable lead given the paucity of our goalscoring this season. Flea makes a statement and moves straight into equal 3rd after his first game for 2023. He clearly wants to win this award. Bont responds to the challenge issued by Jack Macrae and draws level with him. What a battle this could be?

---------

Jason Watts was taken with selection 12 in the 1993 preseason draft. It was quite a notable draft with 39 players chosen. From a Bulldogs perspective it was notable for the following players moving one way or the other. With pick 27 we chose our 1996 goal kicking runner up Daniel Hargraves. So a good draft for us. Going the other way were Matthew Mansfield to Fitzroy, Jon Ballantyne to Collingwood, Peter Filandia (runner during Rocket era) to Sydney.

Other notable players selected were Dermott Brereton, Andrew Bews, Craig Lambert, Dean Rice, Brad Pearce, Derek Kickett & several others who played regular AFL football. It also featured notable administrators Simon Lethlean (Hawks) & Cain Liddle (Cats)

Did you know Jason Watts was born in Los Angeles?

12. Thanks azabob, bulldogtragic, GVGjr, Happy Days thanked for this post
    Likes soupman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The Round 6 goal kicking award honours the legendary Alan Rait our leading goal kicker in 1933 with 59 goals from 15 games. He kicked 10 goals v Carlton that season which alone deserves a medal named in his honour.

Alan Rait was recruited from the mighty North Hobart Demons after he kicked 10 goals in the 1932 Grand Final. Rait was considered the greatest full forward in Tasmania until Peter Hudson came along. Rait held the TFL goal kicking record for most goals in a season when he kicked 152 in 1930. Hudson broke that record in 1976 and I saw him kick 13 of those goals in 3 quarters against North Hobart that year (flog). I also saw most of the others. Goes to show how good Rait must have been. His career with the Bulldogs was cut short by injury. He returned to North Hobart and became captain coach only to narrowly lose the 1935 grand final to Newtown who were coached by former North Hobart premiership coach Roy Cazaly (bloody traitor). He resisted the opportunity to return to the VFL when approached by Footscray to make a comeback and also to Essendon. Dodoro was probably in his early list management days back then.

Goalkickers for Round 6 vs Fremantle

Williams 3, Naughton 3, Treloar 2, Bontempelli 2, Daniel, English, Liberatore, Lobb, McNeil, Scott, Weightman

The Alan Rait medal is shared by Bailey Williams & Aaron Naughton

The Buster Beazer Leaderboard after Round 6

11. Naughton
    6. Jamarra
    5. Williams, English, Weightman
    4. Bont, Lobb, Libba
    3. Baker, Treloar
    2. Macrae, Hannan, Daniel
    1. Garcia, JJ, McComb, McNeil, Scott

Astro Naughton makes a break from the chasing pack. Leading the peloton is Jamarra who needs to find his kicking boots. He has kicked 6.11 so far this season compared to Naughton's 11.6. Perhaps Bailey Williams with 3.0 has Jamarra's kicking boots. He is the big mover this week and finds himself in equal 3rd. The battle among the midfielders is intensifying with Bont & Treloar making a charge. Poor Jack Macrae is in danger of being left behind after his early season dominance. We welcome to the leaderboard McNeil & Scott.

Did you know Alain Rait and I share something in common? We were both born in Hobart and raised on the Glebe!

14. Thanks Go_Dogs, azabob thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The Round 7 goal kicking award honours our former captain and 70's legend Laurie Sandilands who lead the goal kicking in 4 successive years from 1972-75. His best year was in 74 when he booted 50 majors.

Sandilands was a local lad hailing from West Footscray. He came through the Bulldogs U/19's and made his debut in R12 1966. Sandilands had a great year in 74. Against the powerhouses of the VFL at the time he played some of his best games. Against eventual premier Richmond he kicked 5, against runner up Lol Norf he kicked 7 and against preliminary finalist the Dawks he kicked 6 that year. He also led us out of finals wilderness when we made the finals for the first time since 1961. One stat I particularly enjoyed was when he kicked 9 goals straight against Geelong in 73. I hated Geelong even back then.

Goalkickers for Round 7 v Hawthorn

Naughton 4, Lobb 2, Ugle-Hagan 2, Daniel, English, Johannisen, Jones, Scott, Williams

The Laurie Sandilands medal goes to Aaron Naughton

The Buster Beazer Leaderboard after Round 7

15. Naughton
    8. Jamarra
    6. Lobb, English, Williams
    5. Weightman
    4. Bont, Libba
    3. Baker, Treloar, Daniel
    2. Macrae, Hannan, JJ, Scott
    1. Garcia, McComb, McNeil, Arty

Astro is galloping away with it at the moment. The bleach blonde Lobb makes his move into 3rd spot going toe to toe with fellow blonde bombshell English and Williams, who if he dyed his hair blonde would definitely kick a lot more goals. We welcome Arty Jones to the leaderboard after his first major of his career. Hopefully many more to come from Arty.

Did you know that Sandilands succeeded an eventual Brownlow medallist in Bernie Quinlan as leading goalkicker and was succeeded himself by another eventual Brownlow medallist in Kelvin Templeton?
    Last edited by The Doctor; 02-05-2023 at 03:13 PM.

16. Thanks Dogs 24/7, lemmon, Go_Dogs thanked for this post
    Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I look forward to this thread each week Doc. Waiting for Cody to make his move

18. Thanks The Doctor thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dogs 24/7 View Post
    I look forward to this thread each week Doc. Waiting for Cody to make his move
    Speaking of Cody, I don't think I have seen anyone work so hard for no scoreboard reward than he did against Hawthorn. If endeavour is the basis of scoring it won't be long before he starts getting his fair share of goals again.
    The truth will set you free,
    but first it will piss you off. ... Gloria Steinem.

Post Thanks / Like

Shot at goal accuracy (players) after R7 of the 2023 AFL season (minimum 20 shots)

Naughton at 57.7%, JUH at 33.3%

FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

But I thought Naughton was a terrible kick and should most definitely play in the backline and Jamarra was the most beautiful kick to ever grace a Bulldogs jumper?

Seriously though, I have been saying for a long time Naughton's goal kicking is better than the generally held perception and Jamarra's is poor despite looking like he should be a great kick at goal. Not sure what the issue is for him as he has gotten worse year on year to this point.

Post Thanks / Like

Naughtons kicks remind me a bit of Barry Halls in that the balls trajectory pretty much doesn't change once it leaves the boot. Only issue is that Barry's were generally always on target whereas Aaron's are only 57.7% of the time....which is surprisingly high.

Post Thanks / Like

Itd be interesting to know where on the ground kicks are taken from. I feel like Aaron gets a lot of his marks close to goal.