Thanks Thanks:  103
Likes Likes:  142

View Poll Results: Leading goal kicker in 2023?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • Lobb

8 16.00%
  • Naughton

31 62.00%
  • Weightman

2 4.00%
  • Jamarra

8 16.00%
  • Bont

0 0%
  • Treloar

0 0%
  • English

0 0%
  • JJ

0 0%
  • Other

1 2.00%
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Who will be our leading goal kicker in 2023?

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    But I thought Naughton was a terrible kick and should most definitely play in the backline and Jamarra was the most beautiful kick to ever grace a Bulldogs jumper?

Seriously though, I have been saying for a long time Naughton's goal kicking is better than the generally held perception and Jamarra's is poor despite looking like he should be a great kick at goal. Not sure what the issue is for him as he has gotten worse year on year to this point.
    Naughton would be more interesting to see what the expected score was vs his actual. My perception is he gets so many easy shots from contested marks he should have Tony Lockett accuracy. His ability to smash a ball into the post from 30m out slight angle is unparalleled.

2. Likes lemmon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Would also love to see Naughton's set shot accuracy rather than shot at goal accuracy. He's so agile on the ground that I feel like he'd kick a bigger proportion of goals on the run over most key forwards.

Feel like just about every week he's the first to recover from a contest, he gets to the ball out the back first and kicks one running into an open goal. It's a great trait, but I think 'shot at goal' accuracy is a misleading stat when we can all see he misses far more easy set shots than he should.

Post Thanks / Like

The Round 8 goalkicking award is named after 1997 leading goalkicker Simon Minton-Connell. He kicked 43 goals from his 17 games in that season.

Minton Connell had a great start to the 97 season slotting 39 goals in the first 11 rounds of the season. Only once during those games did he fail to kick 3 goals or more. Then inexplicably his form fell away. He struggled the following season until recalled for the 98 Qualifying Final against the Wiggles. He completely wiped the floor with Ashley McIntosh who that year was All Australian and Best & fairest winner. I'm sure they didn't show any highlights of McIntosh from that game at their presentation night, because all he did was chase M-C's tail. He booted 5 in that epic win. Epic because it was against the Wiggles and it was by 70 points.

Goalkickers for Round 8 v Giant Waste of Space

Naughton 3, Lobb 2, Jones 2, Weightman, Ugle-Hagan, Scott, Liberatore, Johannisen, Bontempelli

The Simon Minton-Connell medal goes to Aaron Naughton

The Buster Beazer Leaderboard after Round 8

18. Naughton
    9. Jamarra
    8. Lobb
    6. English, Williams, Weightman
    5. Bont, Libba
    3. Baker, Treloar, Daniel, Arty, Scott, JJ
    2. Macrae, Hannan
    1. Garcia, McComb, McNeil

Astro adds another award to his trophy cabinet, although by half time I thought his fellow forwards Jamarra, Lobb & Arty were conspiring together to kick all the goals to try and catch up to him. Astro must have checked the Busta leaderboard at half time and noticed the move of Lobb into outright 3rd. So he decided he had to do something about it and produced party tricks such as one handed speccies and grabbing the game by the scruff in the 2nd half to increase his lead at the top. English is joined by fellow blonde Weightman in equal 4th. I noticed Williams didn't take my advice last week and dye his hair blonde. No wonder he is going through a goalkicking drought. The shoot out between Bont & Libba continues and Arty after getting a taste last week likes the flavour and starts to make his move up the leaderboard.

Did you know prior to being drafted Simon Minton Connell played in North Hobart's 1987 premiership side as an 18yo full back? He had 6 kicked on him! He also sported the most ridiculous hair cut ever by a full back or possibly any player ever. A flat top haircut that made him look like one of those cartoon characters that had an anvil land on it's head. Others with a Bulldog connection in that same team were Darren Davies and David Noble.
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

5. Thanks bulldogtragic, Grantysghost, bornadog, azabob thanked for this post
    Likes EasternWest, GVGjr, ratsmac, Happy Days liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    The Round 8 goalkicking award is named after 1997 leading goalkicker Simon Minton-Connell. He kicked 43 goals from his 17 games in that season.

Minton Connell had a great start to the 97 season slotting 39 goals in the first 11 rounds of the season. Only once during those games did he fail to kick 3 goals or more. Then inexplicably his form fell away. He struggled the following season until recalled for the 98 Qualifying Final against the Wiggles. He completely wiped the floor with Ashley McIntosh who that year was All Australian and Best & fairest winner. I'm sure they didn't show any highlights of McIntosh from that game at their presentation night, because all he did was chase M-C's tail. He booted 5 in that epic win. Epic because it was against the Wiggles and it was by 70 points.

Goalkickers for Round 8 v Giant Waste of Space

Naughton 3, Lobb 2, Jones 2, Weightman, Ugle-Hagan, Scott, Liberatore, Johannisen, Bontempelli

The Simon Minton-Connell medal goes to Aaron Naughton

The Buster Beazer Leaderboard after Round 8

18. Naughton
    9. Jamarra
    8. Lobb
    6. English, Williams, Weightman
    5. Bont, Libba
    3. Baker, Treloar, Daniel, Arty, Scott, JJ
    2. Macrae, Hannan
    1. Garcia, McComb, McNeil

Astro adds another award to his trophy cabinet, although by half time I thought his fellow forwards Jamarra, Lobb & Arty were conspiring together to kick all the goals to try and catch up to him. Astro must have checked the Busta leaderboard at half time and noticed the move of Lobb into outright 3rd. So he decided he had to do something about it and produced party tricks such as one handed speccies and grabbing the game by the scruff in the 2nd half to increase his lead at the top. English is joined by fellow blonde Weightman in equal 4th. I noticed Williams didn't take my advice last week and dye his hair blonde. No wonder he is going through a goalkicking drought. The shoot out between Bont & Libba continues and Arty after getting a taste last week likes the flavour and starts to make his move up the leaderboard.

Did you know prior to being drafted Simon Minton Connell played in North Hobart's 1987 premiership side as an 18yo full back? He had 6 kicked on him! He also sported the most ridiculous hair cut ever by a full back or possibly any player ever. A flat top haircut that made him look like one of those cartoon characters that had an anvil land on it's head. Others with a Bulldog connection in that same team were Darren Davies and David Noble.
    Quality
    "It's over. It's all over."

7. Likes The Doctor liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We are going with a different approach this week and honouring a player who may not have won the goalkicking in a season but nevertheless was a handy goalsneak for us. The Round 9 goalkicking award is named after Darren Collins, a small forward who played for us between 1987 - 89.

Recruited from Collingwood, the blond dasher played 24 games and booted 37 goals. I remember him at Collingwood and thought he was pretty good and was glad to see him join us. His best season was 1988 when he came 3rd in the goalkicking with 20 from 13 games. However I thought some of his best footy came in our troubled year of 1989 when he booted 3 in a great win v Sydney at WO and followed up with a match winning 5 in a low scoring slugfest v St Kilda in the wet and slush at Waverley. He joined Fitzroy via the MSD in 1990 before he disappeared from the AFL. Career over at 22.

Goalkickers for Round 9 v Carltank

Scott 3, Lobb 2, Johannisen, Naughton, Liberatore, A.Jones, Smith, Ugle-Hagan

The Darren Collins medal goes to Anthony Scott

The Buster Beazer Leaderboard after Round 9

19. Naughton
    10. Lobb, Jamarra
    6. English, Williams, Weightman, Scott, Libba
    5. Bont
    4. JJ, Arty
    3. Baker, Treloar, Daniel
    2. Macrae, Hannan
    1. Garcia, McComb, McNeil, Smith

Anthony Scott ran riot v the Blues and rises up the leaderboard with a bullet. He is now in equal 4th. Whoo hoo! Astro maintains his 9 goal lead at the top. Next year I might start a hitting the post leaderboard and name it after Aaron Naughton. The Lobbster continues to stealthily climb the ladder and joins Jamarra in 2nd spot. Libba moves ahead of Bont in the battle of the Italian stallions. We welcome at long last Bailey Smith to the leaderboard after his delicious goal that helped sink the Blues in the last. Special mention to Arty for his goal and 3 assists late in the last. Magnificent. Duryea had a chance to make his debut on the leaderboard but choked. Had O'Donnell kicked that goal from the impossible angle I would be here hailing him as the new Eddie Betts.

Did you know that after Darren Collins came 3rd in the goalkicking in 1988 behind Busta Beasley (only 62 goals behind) he got his revenge on Beasley in 1989 when he finished 4th in the goalkicking with 16 majors and pipped Beasley by 1 goal. Now thats something he can tell his grandkids about.

The top 5 in 1989 were;

1. Adrian Campbell with 21
    2. Phil O'Keefe & John Georgiades with 19 each
    4. Darren Collins with 16
    5. Simon Beasley with 15

Gee, what a year!

Why aren't there anymore Darrens in football? Who was the last Darren to play for us? Baxter?
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

9. Thanks bulldogtragic, GVGjr, jazzadogs, bornadog, 1eyedog thanked for this post
    Likes azabob, Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    We are going with a different approach this week and honouring a player who may not have won the goalkicking in a season but nevertheless was a handy goalsneak for us. The Round 9 goalkicking award is named after Darren Collins, a small forward who played for us between 1987 - 89.

Recruited from Collingwood, the blond dasher played 24 games and booted 37 goals. I remember him at Collingwood and thought he was pretty good and was glad to see him join us. His best season was 1988 when he came 3rd in the goalkicking with 20 from 13 games. However I thought some of his best footy came in our troubled year of 1989 when he booted 3 in a great win v Sydney at WO and followed up with a match winning 5 in a low scoring slugfest v St Kilda in the wet and slush at Waverley. He joined Fitzroy via the MSD in 1990 before he disappeared from the AFL. Career over at 22.

Goalkickers for Round 9 v Carltank

Scott 3, Lobb 2, Johannisen, Naughton, Liberatore, A.Jones, Smith, Ugle-Hagan

The Darren Collins medal goes to Anthony Scott

The Buster Beazer Leaderboard after Round 9

19. Naughton
    10. Lobb, Jamarra
    6. English, Williams, Weightman, Scott, Libba
    5. Bont
    4. JJ, Arty
    3. Baker, Treloar, Daniel
    2. Macrae, Hannan
    1. Garcia, McComb, McNeil, Smith

Anthony Scott ran riot v the Blues and rises up the leaderboard with a bullet. He is now in equal 4th. Whoo hoo! Astro maintains his 9 goal lead at the top. Next year I might start a hitting the post leaderboard and name it after Aaron Naughton. The Lobbster continues to stealthily climb the ladder and joins Jamarra in 2nd spot. Libba moves ahead of Bont in the battle of the Italian stallions. We welcome at long last Bailey Smith to the leaderboard after his delicious goal that helped sink the Blues in the last. Special mention to Arty for his goal and 3 assists late in the last. Magnificent. Duryea had a chance to make his debut on the leaderboard but choked. Had O'Donnell kicked that goal from the impossible angle I would be here hailing him as the new Eddie Betts.

Did you know that after Darren Collins came 3rd in the goalkicking in 1988 behind Busta Beasley (only 62 goals behind) he got his revenge on Beasley in 1989 when he finished 4th in the goalkicking with 16 majors and pipped Beasley by 1 goal. Now thats something he can tell his grandkids about.

The top 5 in 1989 were;

1. Adrian Campbell with 21
    2. Phil O'Keefe & John Georgiades with 19 each
    4. Darren Collins with 16
    5. Simon Beasley with 15

Gee, what a year!

Why aren't there anymore Darrens in football? Who was the last Darren to play for us? Baxter?
    Subscribe
    "It's over. It's all over."

11. Likes azabob, The Doctor liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I remember Jason Watts was my only joy in 1996.

My vague recollection was he could not miss.

I guess the drafting of Cook and SMC spelled the end of Watts?
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

So Naughts, Lobb & Marra good for about 4.5 goals a game already despite some shoddy kicking and an injury to Lobb. That seems like a ‘pass mark’ for getting Lobb to me.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

14. Likes EasternWest, Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    So Naughts, Lobb & Marra good for about 4.5 goals a game already despite some shoddy kicking and an injury to Lobb. That seems like a ‘pass mark’ for getting Lobb to me.
    Naughton's and Ugle-Hagan's averages are pretty much the same this season to date as last season (Naughton 2.32 in 2022 and 2.11 to date; Ugle-Hagan 1.06 and 1.11) Lobb's averaging 1.25 goals per game, a bit better than his career average of 1.08 and not quite up to his average for the past 2 years, 1.6. Is there any reason to think that shoddy kicking and injuries aren't going to continue ? I'll be surprised, pleasantly surprised, if the 3 do much better for the rest of the season.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by D Mitchell View Post
    Naughton's and Ugle-Hagan's averages are pretty much the same this season to date as last season (Naughton 2.32 in 2022 and 2.11 to date; Ugle-Hagan 1.06 and 1.11) Lobb's averaging 1.25 goals per game, a bit better than his career average of 1.08 and not quite up to his average for the past 2 years, 1.6. Is there any reason to think that shoddy kicking and injuries aren't going to continue ? I'll be surprised, pleasantly surprised, if the 3 do much better for the rest of the season.
    Fair argument. I’d hope that they start to gel even more, work more cohesively and the mids understand their patterns better and reward them. I’d hope if Weightman can hit form that he gets a little more off the leash too and we can really start to have oppo coaches and defenders stressed about match ups. We are only really half a dozen games into these three talls being fit, and I’m happy enough at this early stage (with only one good game from Cody) and Arty still green to bank 4.5 goals a game. While kicking is a huge issue, I do see some scope to raise it 5+ goals a game from the three talls (plus English has a few too). If they can get that up over 5, and Cody & Arty keep/hit form then things look bright for a bump in scoring power (midfield permitting). And hopefully someone takes that last forward spot that’s been rotating all season last held by JOD.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

At this rate - Naughton would finish on around 48 goals, and Lobb and Jamarra 25 each. I guess that it a reasonable return from the 3 keys, given that we would expect Arty and Weightman to contribute another 30-40 between them hopefully.

18. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    At this rate - Naughton would finish on around 48 goals, and Lobb and Jamarra 25 each. I guess that it a reasonable return from the 3 keys, given that we would expect Arty and Weightman to contribute another 30-40 between them hopefully.
    Hopefully some junk time stat boosts with WCE & North for them too. I’d take 100+ goals from our key forwards as a pass mark.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd think we've been shortchanged if they are the number of goals the 3 key forwards achieve this year.
    Just go back to when it was Bruce and Naughton leading the charge and it was close to 100 goal return from two of them so we need a better return than that from 3 of them especially with the lower returns from Weightman so far.

I'd say Scott, Weightman and Arty need to get us closer to 50 goals.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

If Jamarra can convert a little better and Lobb continues his improvement and gets the odd bag of 3-4 I can see that lifting

22. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I reckon we need more from the big 3. Better conversion will help. 120+ for the season is what we need. Scoring is a bit of an issue for us but thankfully the oppo aren't doing it well either.