Thanks Thanks:  103
Likes Likes:  142

View Poll Results: Leading goal kicker in 2023?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • Lobb

8 16.00%
  • Naughton

31 62.00%
  • Weightman

2 4.00%
  • Jamarra

8 16.00%
  • Bont

0 0%
  • Treloar

0 0%
  • English

0 0%
  • JJ

0 0%
  • Other

1 2.00%
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Who will be our leading goal kicker in 2023?

The numbers look nice at the end of the season but does it really matter who kicks them? I would prefer to not be overly reliant on 1 or 2 key forwards to kick our goals like Carlton are. If they get injured or have a bad day the team is in strife. It's great that we can have Scott or Williams or Weightman or whoever pop up from time to time and share the goal kicking load.

Post Thanks / Like

For the Round 10 goalkicking award we honour the great colossus of the goal square Danny Delre. He was our leading goalkicker in 1992 with 70 & 1993 with 36.

Danny Delre played 62 games for us and booted 139 goals. If he produced that in today's era he would be on $1m + per year! He started off in our U/19's but didn't make the cut and went to Williamstown in the VFA 1987-89. He was picked up in the preseason draft of 1990. 1992 was a cracker season for him. He first appeared in round 4 v Swans at the SCG and slammed in 7 goals in a B.O.G. performance. I was going Ape in the very conservative Ladies Stand that day. During the season he rag dolled Chris Langford of Hawthorn to boot 5, then made mincemeat of Peter Caven & Alistair Lynch when he booted 6 v Fitzroy. His best was in the Qualifying final when he produced an outrageously brilliant 8 v Geelong. The most goals by a Bulldog in a final ever.

Enjoy Danny Delre tormenting Caven & Lynch in Round 12, 1992. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGPLF95b5I4

Gee we kicked a lot of behind's yesterday, and not just Adelaide's. Leading butt kickers yesterday were; Baker, Arty, Libba, Flea & Williams all with 2 each. Naughton & Jamarra are tied overall for 1st with 14 each.

Goalkickers for Round 10 v Adelaide Cows

Scott 2, Macrae 2, Gardner, Naughton, Williams, Daniel, Lobb, Weightman, Bontempelli

The Danny Delre medal is shared by Anthony Scott & Jack Macrae

The Buster Beazer Leaderboard after Round 10

20. Naughton
    11. Lobb
    10. Jamarra
    8. Scott
    7. Williams, Weightman
    6. English, Libba, Bont
    4. JJ, Arty, Macrae, Daniel
    3. Baker, Treloar,
    2. Hannan
    1. Garcia, McComb, McNeil, Smith, Gardner

Anthony Scott must have really enjoyed winning the Darren Collins medal last week beacuse he has fronted up again and now adds the 'Delre Medal' to his rapidly filling trophy cabinet. He now holds 4th position outright. Lobb jumps into outright 2nd but Air Naughton, who must own an invisible stepladder, maintains his lead at the top. What a battle between Bont & Libba. They've been slugging it out all season. With great pleasure we welcome Ryan Gardner to the leaderboard. It's always great to have someone from the men's dept amongst the goals. I was actually going to ask the question this week who would be the first among our key defenders to kick a goal this year, but Gardner 'spoilt' my plans! Didn't he kick it with some authority too. Harry McKay should study Gardner's goalkicking technique. No being cute, no being clever, no kicking around corners, no complicating it. Just kick the bloody thing!

Did You Know, Danny Delre (as legend has it) first found he might be recruited to Footscray soon after playing in Williamstowns' losing 1989 VFA Grand Final. Apparently, he was showering off when Terry Wheeler barged in and notified Delre that IF Footscray continues to exist in 1990, and IF he was appointed coach, he would recruit him. Imagine the head swirl for Delre at that moment. Having just felt the disappointment of playing in a losing Grand Final and then the elation he could have a AFL career, but only if all the stars align. All this while in the shower!
    Last edited by The Doctor; 21-05-2023 at 04:36 PM.
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I'd think we've been shortchanged if they are the number of goals the 3 key forwards achieve this year.
    Just go back to when it was Bruce and Naughton leading the charge and it was close to 100 goal return from two of them
    so we need a better return than that from 3 of them especially with the lower returns from Weightman so far.

I'd say Scott, Weightman and Arty need to get us closer to 50 goals.
    Yeah, I understand that.
    I think in 2021 we were a far higher scoring/attacking team sitting at 95 points a game, whereas this year we are at 78 points a game so far. Hopefully we can lift that scoring average with a run of games at Marvel coming up - and some of the weaker teams later in the year.

4. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    Yeah, I understand that.
    I think in 2021 we were a far higher scoring/attacking team sitting at 95 points a game, whereas this year we are at 78 points a game so far. Hopefully we can lift that scoring average with a run of games at Marvel coming up - and some of the weaker teams later in the year.
    We could have easily scored 100 points on the weekend had our forwards and others kicked straight.
    Regardless if the overall scoring drops a bit and given we started so slowly to be near 80 points now is a reasonable position but if we have invested so heavily on Marra and Lobb to support Naughton we do need to be on the higher side of a 100 goal return from them.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    We could have easily scored 100 points on the weekend had our forwards and others kicked straight.
    Regardless if the overall scoring drops a bit and given we started so slowly to be near 80 points now is a reasonable position but if we have invested so heavily on Marra and Lobb to support Naughton we do need to be on the higher side of a 100 goal return from them.
    Will be interesting to see - that if the 3 of them gel more, what that translates to on the scoreboard. They are still drawn to the same footy more often than you'd like....I think we have looked good when Marra is leading up at the ball, either being the option or leaving space behind him for the other two.

Post Thanks / Like

The Round 11 goal kicking award honours the legendary Alby Morrison, who topped the goal kicking on 5 occasions from 1928 - 1931 & again in 1934.

Alby, also known as 'Boy', had an illustrious career with the Bulldogs. He played 224 games for us in 3 stints (1928 - 38, 1941 - 42, 1946 as a 37yo) and knocked in 369 goals. His career tally of 369 goals, a record that stood til Jack Collins came along, still has him placed 6th on the all time goal kicking list for the Dogs. In his debut season as a 19yo he kicked 50 which included hauls of 10 & 7 against the Dawks. He followed up again the next season with another 50. Morrison could play anywhere. As his career progressed he would play upfield a lot. During the depression years he played for free to help the club out. His best season was in 1938 when he came 3rd in the Brownlow medal and played in our first ever finals team where in the first half we outplayed Colliwobbles but bad kicking (6.11.47 to 9.1.55) cost us & we fell apart in the 2nd half. Sound familiar? By the time his career ended he had captained and captain coached the club.

Alby Morrison won the best & fairest twice and was named on the half forward flank in the Bulldogs Team of the Century. What a legend. Here is a caricature of Alby and the 'boys' including Alan Rait in 1933

https://australianfootball.com/artic...ricolours/2013

Goalkickers for Round 11 v Gold Coast Sins

Ugle-Hagan 3, Williams 2, Weightman 2, Smith, Scott, Naugton, Daniel

The Alby Morrison medal is won by Jamarra Ugle-Hagan

The Buster Beazer Leaderboard after Round 11

21. Naughton
    13. Jamarra
    11. Lobb
    9. Williams, Weightman, Scott
    6. English, Libba, Bont
    5. Daniel
    4. JJ, Arty, Macrae,
    3. Baker, Treloar,
    2. Hannan, Smith
    1. Garcia, McComb, McNeil, Gardner

Jamarra moves back into 2nd spot & closes the gap ever so slightly on Astro. Williams, Weightman & Scott (sounds like a firm of Accountants) continue their impressive goal kicking form and share 4th place. Can any of these guys finish on the podium this year? Libba & Bont forgot to turn up for their weekly stoush this week.

Did you know Alby Morrison continued to play footy after he retired from the Dogs? He played 5 seasons with Sorrento and in his final year at the ripe old age of 45 he kicked 45 goals and helped them to a premiership on the same day the Bulldogs broke through to win their 1st VFL premiership in 1954. I don't believe our Alby is related to Alby Mangels.

Did anyone see Alby play? Morrison that is, not Mangels.
    Last edited by The Doctor; 28-05-2023 at 08:59 AM.

8. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Likes EasternWest, bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Somehow duplicated previous post. I don't know how. I was doing it in my sleep.

10. Thanks bornadog thanked for this post
    Likes EasternWest, bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The Round 12 goal kicking award honours a player who averaged 1 goal per game in his stellar career with us. This is entirely appropriate this week as no one was able to kick more than one goal v Geelong. I speak of none other than Allen Jakovich.

Allen Jakovich played just the one season for Footscray in 1996. He kicked an amazing 7 goals 14 points in his 7 games for us at an average of 1.2 per game. He was selected at pick 9 in the 1995 draft despite missing the entire 1995 season due to a chronic back injury. This same draft that had future premiership full forwards in Barry Hall and Daniel Bradshaw available at our selection. Imagine if we pulled a recruiting stunt like this nowadays. There would be a guillotine erected outside Whitten Oval and the entire football dept would be waiting their turn for the chop. Anyhow in all games Jakovich played in when he scored 1 goal or less, we lost. However, when he scored 3 goals, we won! It only happened once, but we won!

Goalkickers for Round 12 v Geelong Handbaggers (How much I hate them, Ive hated them since I first saw them back in the early 70's which means Ive hated them longer than most of you reading this. I also hate GWS)

Weightman, Ugle-Hagan, Treloar, Smith, Richards, O'Donnell, Naughton, Macrae, Lobb, Daniel

The Allen Jakovich medal is shared by; Weightman, Ugle-Hagan, Treloar, Smith, Richards, O'Donnell, Naughton, Macrae, Lobb, Daniel

The Buster Beazer Leaderboard after Round 12

22. Naughton
    14. Jamarra
    12. Lobb
    10. Weightman
    9. Williams, Scott
    6. English, Libba, Bont, Daniel
    5. Macrae
    4. JJ, Arty, Treloar
    3. Baker, Smith
    2. Hannan,
    1. Garcia, McComb, McNeil, Gardner, Richards, O'Donnell

The race for leading goal kicker this year continues at snail pace. On current trajectory 30 goals should do it! At least our premiership heroes Bont, Libba, Caleb, JJ & Jack Macrae are in the middle of the chasing pack slugging it out with one another. All we need is Toby Maclean to come in and kick 5 next week to join them. Jack Macrae is having a prolific goal kicking year. At present he is having his equal 4th best goal kicking season in his 11 year career. His best is 9 in 2014. I'll be on Jack Macrae watch for the rest of the season. We welcome to the leaderboard James O'Donnell and Ed Richards. Who will be next among our defenders to join the leaderboard? Bruce, Keath or Jones? Where is Bailey Dale?

Did you know in his glittering career before he joined us Allen Jakovich kicked 201 goals in 47 games for Melbourne? Despite ripping most teams apart he only scored 3 goals & 6 points in total at a ratio of 1.2 v Bulldogs, the same ratio he scored for us!. He wore no.13 at both clubs. No 13. was also worn at the Dogs by other goal kicking greats, Josh Schache, Daniel Giansiracusa, Bernie O'Brien, Charlie Sloley and Ernie Nunn.

12. Thanks GVGjr, bulldogtragic, Sedat, Stevo thanked for this post
    Likes bornadog, lemmon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok folks I know you are all a bit cranky at the moment but I'm going to cheer you up as we honour a goal kicking great from our not to distant past. This week for Round 13 it is our 2014 leading goal kicker who gets the nod, Stewart Crameri. I can hear you all yelling "Yippee" from my place near Elwood Beach.

Stewart Crameri joined the Bulldogs from Essendope for the 2014 season., In his first year he topped our goal kicking by slamming in 37 goals and played in all 22 games that season. He would ultimately kick 70 goals in his 42 games for us before heading for the Geelong retirement home. He also played some great footy in 2015 when he came 3rd in the goalkicking behind Jesse Stringer & Tory Dickson. He kicked 2.5 in the elimination final loss to the crows. Who knows had he kicked 5.2 he might be a premiership player. His best game was when he kicked 7 against his former fuel injected teamamates in our magnificent 87 point win. Other great wins by the Bulldogs v Essendung were in 2019 when we won by 104 points and in 1977 when we won by 100 points and at Windy Hill too. I told you I would cheer you up.

Goalkickers for Round 13 v Port Power Outage

Weightman 3 (it should be 4 but for that cheating f%*$#ing umpire), Ugle-Hagan 2, Naughton 2, West, Treloar, Macrae, English, Daniel, Bontempelli

The Stewart Crameri medal has been snapped up by Cody Weightman

The Buster Beazer Leaderboard after Round 13

24. Naughton
    16. Jamarra
    13. Weightman
    12. Lobb
    9. Williams, Scott
    7. English, Daniel, Bont
    6. Libba, Macrae
    5. Treloar
    4. JJ, Arty
    3. Baker, Smith
    2. Hannan,
    1. Garcia, McComb, McNeil, Gardner, Richards, O'Donnell, West

Astro maintains his lead while Flea slips past Lobby into 3rd. Can Flea make a late season surge to the top? He will if we play Port every week. Jack Macrae continues his move up the leaderboard and has now caught Libba. Macrae is now having his equal 3rd best goal kicking season. He only has to kick 4 more this season with 9 more games to go + hopefully finals to have his best year. Come on Jack, I know you're reading this, you can do it. I'll name a weekly goal kicking award in your honour if you do! We welcome Rhylee West to the leaderboard.

Did you know Stewart Crameri was originally recruited by the Bummers at pick 43 in the 2009 rookie draft? We had 2 picks ahead of him and went for Brodie Moles & Andrew Hooper instead. Also available were James Podsiadly & Levi Casboult but never mind we also picked up later in that draft Eddie Prato & Pat Rose. We also picked up in the main draft prior to this, Howard, Tutt, Markovic & Thorne and upgraded James Mulligan to the senior list. Wow, what a haul! To be fair & for balance we also upgraded someone called Liam Picken!

Crameri is still playing having joined North Ballarat. Maybe we should recruit him back to help boost our membership drive in the area. But we might have to fight off Geelong as at the age of 34 he would be firmly in their sights.

14. Thanks Sedat, GVGjr, Grantysghost, Go_Dogs thanked for this post
    Likes Bulldog Joe, EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Jesse Stringer oh my.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Also the Crameri pick we gave to Essendon (26) was used on their current captain.

Zach Merrett.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Also the Crameri pick we gave to Essendon (26) was used on their current captain.

Zach Merrett.
    I deliberately left that out because I was trying to cheer everybody up!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    Jesse Stringer oh my.
    Did you know that 'the' Jesse Stringer was taken in the same rookie draft as Crameri? 18 picks later at 61 just 2 picks after the great Eddie Prato!

19. Likes Grantysghost, EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    I deliberately left that out because I was trying to cheer everybody up!
    Haha oh sorry! Ignore me like normal.

Post Thanks / Like

For the Round 14 goal kicking award we honour one of the most exhiliarating forwards I have seen in my lifetime of watching the mighty Bulldogs, the legendary Les 'Lelly' Bamblett.

Lelly........ the memories are rushing back, I'm getting a bit emotional! I'll try again, Lelly......joined the Bulldogs in 1984 after Shane O'Sullivan had completed yet another successful raid on WA. Lelly had been playing at Claremont having previously played at Melbourne where he won the Morrish medal (best player in the U/19's for you younger folk) in 1982. He would only play 37 games for 59 goals but what an impact he made. He was a star in our 1985 season where he kicked 51 goals and formed a dynamic partnership with Buster Beazer. Lelly could rip a game to pieces in a blink of an eye as the mighty Essendon side of that era found out when he rammed home 4 early goals as we flogged them by 7 goals. Lelly & Beasley combined to kick 11 v Pies & 12 v Geelong at Kardinia Park or whatever stupid name they have for it these days. Lelly kicked 5 in both those games. Like Eddie Betts of the modern era he was a brilliant opportunist and his burst acceleration left defenders clutching at thin air. He made defenders look completely stupid. As stupid as a gaggle of poorly dressed mannequins in a Myer store as he ran riot around them.

Goalkickers for Round 14 v LolNorf

Weightman 6, Bontempelli 3, Naughton 2, Daniel, Lobb, Treloar, English,

The Lelly Bamblett medal goes to Cody Weightman

The Buster Beazer Leaderboard after Round 14

26. Naughton
    19. Weightman
    16. Jamarra
    13. Lobb
    10. Bont
    9. Williams, Scott
    8. English, Daniel
    6. Libba, Macrae, Treloar
    4. JJ, Arty
    3. Baker, Smith
    2. Hannan,
    1. Garcia, McComb, McNeil, Gardner, Richards, O'Donnell, West

It's getting serious now folks. The big guns are making their move as Flea bursts into 2nd place closing the gap on Astro and Bont charges into 5th spot. These 2 clearly want to win the Beazer award and I would not be at all surpised if they both slipped Bevo a fiver to move Astro to the backline this week. Daniel & Treloar continue to quietly move up the board but don't be surprised if one of them does a Lelly and kick 5 next week!

Did you know I loved Lelly so much that as a young man with very long hair (I wouldn't have looked out of place on a Staus Quo poster) I drove my 78 Ford XC panel van from Sydney to Western Oval the day before a match and slept in the van in the car park at WO. I was confronted by a WO official the next morning who asked me what I was doing there. I replied "Sir, I have just driven from Sydney to see Lelly Bamblett'. He let me stay there and waived the parking fee.

Here is an exclusive Woof interview with Lelly by The Coon Dog

https://www.woof.net.au/forum/archiv...hp/t-5540.html

22. Thanks bulldogtragic, GVGjr, Sedat, bornadog thanked for this post