Thanks Thanks:  103
Likes Likes:  142

View Poll Results: Leading goal kicker in 2023?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • Lobb

8 16.00%
  • Naughton

31 62.00%
  • Weightman

2 4.00%
  • Jamarra

8 16.00%
  • Bont

0 0%
  • Treloar

0 0%
  • English

0 0%
  • JJ

0 0%
  • Other

1 2.00%
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Who will be our leading goal kicker in 2023?

Quote Originally Posted by Go_Dogs View Post
    Great stat that Naughton has foaled in each game.
    That sounds uncomfortable but aligns with what I've heard about AFL players getting around.
    "It's over. It's all over."

2. Likes bulldogtragic, D Mitchell, Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    That sounds uncomfortable but aligns with what I've heard about AFL players getting around.
    Like the pony with the sore throat.

He sounds pretty crook...!

No he's just a little hoarse.

(thankyou thankyou).

4. Likes EasternWest, Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

For the Round 18 goal kicking award we honour Richard Osborne who was our leading goalscorer in 1995 with 53 majors.

Osborne, aka "Tricky Dicky" by Lou Richards came to the Bulldogs after 11 years at Fitzroy and one season at Sydney. He played 51 matches for us and booted 98 goals. He was a very clever player who usually lined up on a half forward flank where he regularly displayed what great mark, kick & brilliant opportunist he was. In a 1/3rd of his games with us he kicked 3 goals or more. Tricky Dicky particularly like dining out on St Kilda helping himself to 18 goals in the 4 games he played for us against the Aints.

Goalkickers for Round 18 v Shitney

Naughton 3, Bontempelli 2, Liberatore, Vandermeer, Poulter, Weightman, Scott, Ugle-Hagan

The Richard Osborne medal is won by Aaron Naughton

The Buster Beazer Leaderboard after Round 18

35. Naughton
    26. Weightman
    23. Jamarra
    14. Lobb
    13. Bont
    10. Williams, Scott
    9. English
    8. Daniel
    7. Macrae, Libba
    6. Treloar
    4. JJ, Arty
    3. Baker, Smith, Hannan
    2. McNeil, Poulter
    1. Garcia, McComb, Gardner, Richards, O'Donnell, West, Dale, Vandermeer

It's now Astro breaking away and leads by 9. I thought Astro was awesome and was considering giving him an extra goal for his valiant efforts. It's going to take a couple of big bags from Flea or Jamarra to catch him now. Bont is closing in on 4th spot. Meanwhile Libba is now having it out with Macrae. Poulter doubles his season tally and we welcome Vandermeer to the leaderboard. I liked how Vanders confidently pointed at goal to let everyone know his intention then blasted it in.

Did you know that Richard Osborne's career tally of 574 goals has him ranked 43rd on the all time AFL leading goalkickers? One behind our very own Buster Beazer!

So Tricky Dicky played for 4 clubs; Fitzroy, Sydney, Footscray and Collingwood. There was another player from the same era who played for the first 3 (not in the same order) and then finished his career at a 4th club. His last game at the 4th club was in a losing Grand Final. Who am I? (not me, the player).
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

6. Thanks Grantysghost, GVGjr, bornadog, Go_Dogs thanked for this post
    Likes EasternWest, bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Only player I can think of is Pike?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Only player I can think of is Pike?
    Pike didn't play for us or Sydney.

9. Likes bulldogtragic, Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Coleman?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JanLorMill View Post
    Coleman?
    Good guess

He played for us, Fitzroy & Sydney, but didn't play his last game at another club in a losing Grand final
    Last edited by The Doctor; 18-07-2023 at 10:56 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    Good guess

He layed for us, Fitzroy & Sydney, but didn't play his last game at another club in a losing Grand final
    Athorn? I’m trying to rack my brain for Fitzroy & Sydney players. I thought I’d my old fav Matty Dent, so that was good.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Athorn? I’m trying to rack my brain for Fitzroy & Sydney players. I thought I’d my old fav Matty Dent, so that was good.
    I think we have a winner
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

I thought it was Stuart Wigney but it does sound like its Mark Athorn
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    we do have a winner!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    we do have a winner!
    Oh wow. I really didn’t expect this, I don’t have a speech. It’s just an honour to post with all of these fine members. I want to thank God. And Jebus for inventing bread and wine. I love carbs and alcohol. I want to thank my family for teaching me how to use a computer. I want to thank my admin moderator, he knows who he is. I want to thank Noho Hank for inspiring me to live my dreams. I want all the little boys and girls out there to know that you too can grow up to join an anonymous online footy forum and and use your useless information too to change the world. Dream big, you live once so make it count. Thank you again.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

17. Likes The Doctor, Sedat, Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I was wondering how Athorn at only 25 was deemed good enough to make a grand final side but then never played AFL again?

Then I read he tagged Michael Long in that final game who of course won the Norm Smith and it made sense.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    I was wondering how Athorn at only 25 was deemed good enough to make a grand final side but then never played AFL again?

Then I read he tagged Michael Long in that final game who of course won the Norm Smith and it made sense.
    How did Mark Bairstow feel after his direct opponent won the Normie in 1992 (Matera) and 1994 (Kemp)? Not a great deal of two-way running by the Geelong midfield under Blighty.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

The Round 19 goal kicking award this week is named after another 2016 premiership hero, Jake 'Jesse' Stringer. He topped our goal kicking for three successive years in 2015, 2016 & 2017 (shared with Picken)

The Package as he is also known played 89 games for the Bulldogs and kicked 160 goals. He arrived at the Bulldogs as pick 5 in the 2012 AFL draft ands wore the number 9. There is no doubt he played his best football in 2015 and the first half of 2016 when he was at his explosive best. His best haul came against the Crows when he kicked 6. My favourite performance from him however was against the Lions at Docklands in 2015. He was devastating that day booting 5 as we smashed them by 72 points. He would kick 5 or more goals seven times for us. At the Bummers in 99 games he has only done it twice against mighty foes like Gold Coast and lolNorf. I also loved that he provided the final pass to Dickson in the 2016 PF and to Picken in the GF to seal those fantastic games.

Goalkickers for Round 19 v Essendope

Ugle-Hagan 3, Weightman 3, Bontempelli 2, Scott, Naughton, West, Baker, Treloar

The Jesse Jack Jase Jake (try saying that fast 3 times) Stringer medal is shared between Jamarra and Flea

The Buster Beazer Leaderboard after Round 19

36. Naughton
    29. Weightman
    26. Jamarra
    15. Bont
    14. Lobb
    11. Scott
    10. Williams
    9. English
    8. Daniel
    7. Macrae, Libba, Treloar
    4. JJ, Arty, Baker
    3. Smith, Hannan
    2. McNeil, Poulter, West
    1. Garcia, McComb, Gardner, Richards, O'Donnell, Dale, Vandermeer

It's not over yet folks. Flea & Jamarra make up some ground on Naughty as Bont bursts into 4th place. Whenever Bont kicks 25 goals or more in a season we make the Grand final. Only 10 to go! Scott deftly moves into 6th spot. Treloar joins Libba & Macrae in the battle of the midfielders. Should these 3 draw equal with Daniel I propose they have a cage wrestling match to determine the winner. I'd back Libba in that one.

Did you know in the Bevo era Stringer in his only game for the Bulldogs v Essendrugs he booted 4 goals. In his 6 games for Essington vs the Bulldogs he has kicked a total of 4 goals.

Feast your eyes on these numbers for a moment. 41, 32, 49, 42, 104, 21, 30, 40 & 87. We have won 9 of our last 10 matches v Essendung and these were the margins. Jakey boy played in 6 of those losses. But he is still a Bullgod!

This week's report was brought to you by the number 9, the letter J and Dermot Brereton

21. Thanks bulldogtragic, GVGjr, Sedat thanked for this post
    Likes bornadog, azabob, EasternWest, Bulldog Joe liked this post