Thanks Thanks:  103
Likes Likes:  142

View Poll Results: Leading goal kicker in 2023?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • Lobb

8 16.00%
  • Naughton

31 62.00%
  • Weightman

2 4.00%
  • Jamarra

8 16.00%
  • Bont

0 0%
  • Treloar

0 0%
  • English

0 0%
  • JJ

0 0%
  • Other

1 2.00%
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Who will be our leading goal kicker in 2023?

Good work Doc.

Jesse Stringer. Never gets old. Like his girlfriends.
    "It's over. It's all over."

2. Thanks 1eyedog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    Good work Doc.

Jesse Stringer. Never gets old. Like his girlfriends.
    He reminds me of Booger from Revenge of the Nerds who was "combing the high schools all day" looking for dates
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry for being a bit late this week. The Bulldogs have been in my naughty corner and just allowed out!

This week we have a very special nomination for our weekly honorary goal kicking award. Special because he was one of my favourite players. The Round 20 goal kicking award honours the colossal Ilija Grgic.

Grgic was a behemoth of the competition during his time with us. He played for us from 1993-96 for a total of 62 games and slotted 92 goals. He was huge! He played as the 2nd Ruck/Forward for most of his career at the Bulldogs but would often take over as No.1 ruck in the absence of the legendary Scott Wynd. He kicked quite a few bags which was a monumental effort for someone playing that kind of role. He kicked 6 against The Demons in R8, 1994 but my fave was when he teamed up with his partner in crime Ben Sexton in only his 9th game in the 1993 season. They slammed 6 each against the rising Kangas. They kicked most of them in the first half too. What a sight that was. Whereas the the much vaunted Kangas combo of Carey & Longmire could only manage 4 between them. Grgic & Sexton made Carey & Longmire look like Tweedle Dee & Tweedle Dum that day. Now thats something they can tell their grand kids about when gathered around the fire at story time.

Goalkickers for Round 20 v AFL Love Children

English 2, Treloar 2, B.Smith, Johannisen, West, Naughton, Weightman, Dale

The Ilija Grgic medal is shared between English & Treloar

The Buster Beazer Leaderboard after Round 20

37. Naughton
    30. Weightman
    26. Jamarra
    15. Bont
    14. Lobb
    11. Scott, English
    10. Williams
    9. Treloar
    8. Daniel
    7. Macrae, Libba
    5. JJ
    4. Arty, Baker, B.Smith
    3. Hannan, West
    2. McNeil, Poulter, Dale
    1. Garcia, McComb, Gardner, Richards, O'Donnell, Vandermeer

Well what can I say about this weeks goal kicking? Not much really. But I did watch a replay of the 2016 Grand Final this week and oh my God I could prattle on about that for hours, days even. Don't get me started on Zaine Cordy kicking the opening goal and his demolition of the Plastics in the prelim!

Did you know that on at least 2 occassions Ilija Grgic kicked bags in low scoring games to help us to victory? He booted 5 out of 9 when we sunk Brisbane in 95 & snagged 4 out of 8 to dismiss the Dawks.

I'm throwing it out there. That if Wallace had of got hold of Grgic in 97 he would have got the best out of him and he would have replaced Darcy in the team and we would have won our 2nd GF. Then add in Southern, Kolyniuk & Dimattina and we would have won by 150 points.
    Last edited by The Doctor; 04-08-2023 at 07:46 AM.
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

5. Thanks GVGjr, Jasper thanked for this post
    Likes EasternWest, bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

How good is Weightman with 30 goals to date. Had a shocker last week, but bobs up for a goal every now and then
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

7. Likes EasternWest, josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    Sorry for being a bit late this week. The Bulldogs have been in my naughty corner and just allowed out!

This week we have a very special nomination for our weekly honorary goal kicking award. Special because he was one of my favourite players. The Round 20 goal kicking award honours the colossal Ilija Grgic.

Grgic was a behemoth of the competition during his time with us. He played for us from 1993-96 for a total of 62 games and slotted 92 goals. He was huge! He played as the 2nd Ruck/Forward for most of his career at the Bulldogs but would often take over as No.1 ruck in the absence of the legendary Scott Wynd. He kicked quite a few bags which was a monumental effort for someone playing that kind of role. He kicked 6 against The Demons in R8, 1994 but my fave was when he teamed up with his partner in crime Ben Sexton in only his 9th game in the 1993 season. They slammed 6 each against the rising Kangas. They kicked most of them in the first half too. What a sight that was. Whereas the the much vaunted Kangas combo of Carey & Longmire could only manage 4 between them. Grgic & Sexton made Carey & Longmire look like Tweedle Dee & Tweedle Dum that day. Now thats something they can tell their grand kids about when gathered around the fire at story time.

Goalkickers for Round 20 v AFL Love Children

English 2, Treloar 2, B.Smith, Johannisen, West, Naughton, Weightman, Dale

I'm throwing it out there. That if Wallace had of got hold of Grgic in 97 he would have got the best out of him and he would have replaced Darcy in the team and we would have won our 2nd GF. Then add in Southern, Kolyniuk & Dimattina and we would have won by 150 points.
    Why was his career only 4 seasons?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post
    Why was his career only 4 seasons?
    Got traded to WCE, and later Essendon. We picked up (all time favourite) Matty Dent with the pick.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Good one Doc. One player I liked / stands out in my memory I would’ve been 8 or so when he started and we didn’t get much Dogs coverage back in Adelaide in those days. He often played with a glove which was quite novel at the time. Never quite amounted to what I thought he might.

11. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    How good is Weightman with 30 goals to date. Had a shocker last week, but bobs up for a goal every now and then
    He got off to a slow start to the season as well. Needs to finish the season off strongly.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

13. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Flea kicked 36.10 last year from 21 games

This year so far 30.17 from 15

So statistically he is having his best goal scoring season. He has already had more shots at goal than last year.

15. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    Flea kicked 36.10 last year from 21 games

This year so far 30.17 from 15

So statistically he is having his best goal scoring season. He has already had more shots at goal than last year.
    Hopefully he kicks a few tonight

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

The Round 21 goal kicking award honours another favourite son in Rohan Smith who topped our goal kicking in 2000 with 42 majors.

Smith made his debut for the Bulldogs in round 1, 1992 as a skinny winger with a mullet Caleb Poulter would have been proud of. He had come up through the u/19's and went on to have a long distinguished career. He played 300 games for the Bulldogs and kicked 254 goals and would twice earn All Australian honours. He is best remembered as a marauding hard running half back who loved to bomb magnificent long range goals from outside 50 on the run. He was a very versatile player and would often be swung forward particularly during the Wallace era even lining up at full forward in big matches. 4 times in his career he would kick a bag of 5. A super player who has is now on the coaching panel at the dogs. Smithy is no doubt a Bulldog through and through.

Goalkickers for Round 21 v Tiggers

Ugle-Hagan 5, Bontempelli 3, Naughton 3, Lobb 2, West 2, Daniel 2, Weightman, English

The Rohan Smith medal is won by Jamarra

The Buster Beazer Leaderboard after Round 21

40. Naughton
    31. Weightman, Jamarra
    18. Bont
    16. Lobb
    12. English
    11. Scott
    10. Williams, Daniel
    9. Treloar
    7. Macrae, Libba
    5. JJ, West
    4. Arty, Baker, B.Smith
    3. Hannan
    2. McNeil, Poulter, Dale

Wasn't it great to see the return of the 4 headed monster v Richmond. It looked a little different to the one we started the season with when we had Astro, Jamarra, Lobb & Darcy. This time it was Astro, Jamarra, Lobb and Daniel. How about Daniel taking that fantastic contested overhead mark to boot his first. The way he used his body in that contest to out manoeuvre his opponent would have made Buster Beazer proud. Jamarra's rampant 1st 1/4 helps him back into = 2nd spot. I mentioned a couple of weeks ago when Bont kicks 25+ a season we make the Grand final. He's moving into position with another 3 and holds 4th spot.

The Bulldogs are the only team this season to have 3 players kick more than 30 goals who are all 23 or younger!

Did you know Rohan Smith ranks 14th for most career goals at the Dogs? Not bad for a half back flanker!

Post Thanks / Like

The top three brought up their century!

Our ruck and second ruck average over 1.5 goals a game (allowing for the VFL stint if two games). I wonder where that situates us in the league.

Jack Macrae Watch: his season best is 9 goals. He’s on 7.

Great work as usual Doc!
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

love these posts each week Doc. Thankyou

20. Likes The Doctor liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The Round 22 goal kicking award honours another Footscray champion from the past, the legendary Merv Hobbs.

Merv Hobbs came to the Doggies from Daylesford. He made his debut against the Dawks in Round 8, 1961 and would quickly establish himself as the 1st rover and then rest in the forward pocket where he proved to be a clever goal sneak. Hobbs played 74 games for us and booted an impressive 115 goals. Twice he topped our goal kicking. Firstly with a mammoth 16 goals in 1963 when he tied with Georgie Bisset and then won it outright in 1965 with 24. However his best season was his first in 61 when he snagged 30, including 3 in the preliminary final drubbing of Melbourne (we used to own them in big games back then). This was the game where he took the real mark of the century. Ted Whitten described it as "like a rocket taking off at Cape Canaverel". His best haul in a game was 8 v South Melbourne in 62. His VFL career however came to an abrupt end when he smashed his knee and retired at the tender age of 23.

Here is Merv doing his thing in the 61 Grand final

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=292Ak5_fK-Q

Goalkickers for Round 22 v The Dawks (I really hate Hawthorn, they were the first opposition team I ever hated and not just because their colours are of pee and poo, but my Dad supported them and used to carry on about Hudson, then I started hating all the other teams)

Ugle-Hagan 2, Lobb 2, Williams, West, Treloar, English, Baker

The Merv Hobbs medal is shared between Jamarra & The Lobbster.

The Buster Beazer Leaderboard after Round 22

40. Naughton
    33. Jamarra
    31. Weightman
    18. Bont, Lobb
    13. English
    11. Williams
    10. Daniel, Treloar
    7. Macrae, Libba
    6. West
    5. JJ, Baker
    4. Arty, B.Smith
    3. Hannan
    2. McNeil, Poulter, Dale

It's not over yet folks. Jamarra reclaims 2nd spot and closes in on Astro who didn't snag one for the first time this season. Flea also going through a bit of a drought after we sung his praises a couple of weeks back. Maybe best not to do that! The Lobbster is starting to fire up and catches the Bont. My nomination for goal of the year is for Rhylee West's magnificent take down of Sicily when he was kicking in. That should be on our highlights reel for the season and should be played on the big screen whenever we play those miserable Dawks.

Did you know Merv Hobbs applied for the Footscray coaching position in 72 only to miss out to Bob Rose. He later became Chairman of selectors in 76. Perhaps he should make a comeback.

I think, in all seriousness, that the major reason we are so inconsistent at the moment is that we don't have a Merv in our team and haven't had one for years. Imagine if we had a Merv Bontempelli or a Merv Lobb or Merv Liberatore what a difference it would make. How about Merv West? Couldn't get much more Bulldog than that!

22. Thanks GVGjr, Grantysghost, bulldogtragic thanked for this post
    Likes EasternWest, bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks doc love these.

23 wow that's so young!