Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3

View Poll Results: What level of influence do the assistants have?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • None: It's all Bevo

0 0%
  • Bevo 90% - Maybe 10% assistants

0 0%
  • Bevo 80% - The assistants have an impact

2 14.29%
  • Bevo 70% - We underestimate the assistants as an industry

6 42.86%
  • Bevo 60% - The assistants play a huge ROLE.

4 28.57%
  • Bevo 50% - Assistants 50% - Equal tandem!

2 14.29%
    Post Thanks / Like

What is the "COACHING INFLUENCE" Level?

I always read the threads that talk about the input (or otherwise) of assistant coaches with a lot of interest.

There was a lot of negativity last year about the assistants - especially Spangher and Webb as the 'new boys'...equally this year there has been a lot of positive commentary about Lade as the new SA and Smith in particular about his role at training.

So...what level of influence do you thing the assistants have on the outcomes of the group?
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What is the "COACHING INFLUENCE" Level?

A massive influence from what I can see, they drive standards and identity what players need to work on. FWIW both Spangher and Webb get amongst the boys and drive the standards. I've also been impressed with 3 development coaches and even Edge from the VFL side
    I'm hoping that Spangher really gets our forward line performing better now that he has some depth and quality to work with.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

It feels like King is a nice change as normally IIRC we're a bit of an assistant coach development club. Rarely getting experience from elsewhere but more bringing people in and giving them experience in different roles.

That's fine as being part of an attractive employer but hopefully the balance is corrected a bit more now and we continue to mix in fresh faces with older heads as I think the assistants play a huge role in the performance of the team

Post Thanks / Like

Hawthorn assistants during their glory years: Bevo, Cameron, Fagan
    Geelong assistants during their glory years: Ken Hinkley, Brendan McCartney, Brenton Sanderson
    Richmond assistant coaches during their premiership run: Mark Williams, J Leppitch, Craig McRae

Correlation =/= causation, but clubs who have been able to win multiple premierships seem to have assistant coaching squads made up of highly sought after people which suggests that head coaches just can't get the job done without quality assistants.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

5. Likes GVGjr, azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don’t have enough insight to really answer the poll, but I assume assistant coaches are very much responsible for ensuring players are able to execute the game plan that Bevo would set. More hands dirty and very important.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    It feels like King is a nice change as normally IIRC we're a bit of an assistant coach development club. Rarely getting experience from elsewhere but more bringing people in and giving them experience in different roles.

That's fine as being part of an attractive employer but hopefully the balance is corrected a bit more now and we continue to mix in fresh faces with older heads as I think the assistants play a huge role in the performance of the team
    I assume you mean Lade.

Yes, it is good to be on the other end of attracting a highly credentialled assistant from elsewhere.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    I assume you mean Lade.

Yes, it is good to be on the other end of attracting a highly credentialled assistant from elsewhere.
    Damn, must be tall discrimination on my part

Post Thanks / Like

The head coach needs his assistants both on game day and non game day. On game day, the assistants can feed Bevo information about players how they are performing in their role. With the pace of the game, it would be hard to see everything that is going on, especially when the ball is moving fast. On non game days, training and off field discussions with players is a vital role that one coach and one assistant like the old days is too much work.

The coach these days is more a manager of people and systems and delegation, communication is very important.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Damn, must be tall discrimination on my part
    Just blame auto-correct of the brain.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

11. Likes azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I question how much influence the assistants have in driving strategy, methods and tactics versus how much they're just there to execute Bevo's views on those elements enthusiastically/ effectively.

Won't ever really know, of course, but have a feeling from some anecdotal accounts it might be the latter which is OK I guess.....but may not always get the best results.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I question how much influence the assistants have in driving strategy, methods and tactics versus how much they're just there to execute Bevo's views on those elements enthusiastically/ effectively.

Won't ever really know, of course, but have a feeling from some anecdotal accounts it might be the latter which is OK I guess.....but may not always get the best results.
    I would agree, especially last year. I have a feeling this year Lade maybe having input on strategy and tactics.