• Josh Bruce

0 0%
  • Liam Jones

17 54.84%
  • Tim O'Brien

0 0%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Who is the best Key Defender on our list?

Based on last year, Gardner - and I think he's really a no 2 defender at AFL level.
    Hoping Jones proves me wrong.

If Keath regains form, I suspect we play him more as an interceptor rather than a legit FB/KPD
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

2. Likes Matjoh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Jones and Keath will be in 2023. Both look fit and motivated and injury free are close to AA defenders.

Ryan came 7th in the B & F, However I was very surprised how he outvoted Red and others. He showed significant improvement in 2023 but is still a limited player. Needs to work on his marking, reading of the game, decision making and not spoiling teammates. I see him complementing Keath and Jones very well this year. Can play a lock down roll and will probably play on the 3rd tall. Would play him of Cameron and Curnow due his mobility and would love to see him shut them down like Moz did.

4. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Imperial View Post
    Gardiner finished 7th in a club best and fairest of a team who played finals in 2022 and is in his prime at 25. His key defender partners were a struggling Keath and battlers in Cordy and O'Brien.

Jones finished 8th in a club best and fairest (and behind Lachlan Plowman who played the same number of matches) of a team who only won 8 matches in 2021. His key defensive partner was a gun, Weitering, who finished second by a long way in that count. Jones didn't play at AFL level in 2022 and turns 32 next month.
    Now you've got me all worried.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

Post Thanks / Like

Jones got my vote.

The most runs on the board and plays a good blend of defensive and attacking footy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Go_Dogs View Post
    Jones got my vote.

The most runs on the board and plays a good blend of defensive and attacking footy.
    I think I voted doe Keath but Jones might pass them all. Really impressed with his kicking skills today.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    Who is your first choice key defender as we head towards the 2023 season.

I thought it would be interesting to see what people think given the recent history of the contenders
    Based on the reports we have been reading here it has to be Jones.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    Naughton. Not going to happen but it'd be out of him and Jones(if he finds his pre covid form)

Lobbe, Marra and Darcy firing will make this move happen. In my head anyway.
    I was originally just going to skip past this but if Bruce is struggling as a defender and we know when fit he is a effective forward could a forward line of of JUH, Bruce and Lobb make us a competitive scorer knowing that Naughton would transform our defense?
    Very unlikely but worth considering.

10. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Currently Gardner easily and he's still got upside. Flogged ports Dixon amongst others and ranked elite for spoils. Cant rely on Keaths 2021 efforts or Jones'. Now both older [and slower?]. Hope K & J prove me way wrong. Fingers crossed.

12. Likes Stevo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Matjoh View Post
    Currently Gardner easily and he's still got upside. Flogged ports Dixon amongst others and ranked elite for spoils. Cant rely on Keaths 2021 efforts or Jones'. Now both older [and slower?]. Hope K & J prove me way wrong. Fingers crossed.
    I'm a bit more optimistic than that with Keath and Jones. Gardner can play on a variety of players and if Keath and Jones can stay fit and the early vision is positive in that regard I think we can have a stronger defensive back line.

Post Thanks / Like

Deleted.
    Last edited by 1eyedog; 10-02-2023 at 06:35 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I’m in the Naughton to the backline camp.
    I just think that Bruce and Darcy are better suited to the forward line meaning Naughton should go back for team balance.
    We’re potentially wasting 2 players if Naughton stays forward. I don’t know what’s happening preseason but from the games I saw last year, Darcy is a great mark and reader of the play but doesn’t have the speed or strength to stick to a man. He’s the type of player who other teams should worry about rather than asking Darcy to play accountable football.
    Bruce has tremendous forward instincts and just knows where to go and fit in with the other forwards. As a defender, I think we take away his greatest strength and is just another big body.

16. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HKB View Post
    I just think that Bruce and Darcy are better suited to the forward line meaning Naughton should go back for team balance.
    We’re potentially wasting 2 players if Naughton stays forward. I don’t know what’s happening preseason but from the games I saw last year, Darcy is a great mark and reader of the play but doesn’t have the speed or strength to stick to a man. He’s the type of player who other teams should worry about rather than asking Darcy to play accountable football.
    Bruce has tremendous forward instincts and just knows where to go and fit in with the other forwards. As a defender, I think we take away his greatest strength and is just another big body.
    Ideally we’d have 2 Naughton’s to play at either end. He is probably the most suited player we have to play CHB, but he’s also been our best forward for a few seasons and has the swagger and marking ability in packs that we don’t quite get elsewhere.

I agree with you that Darcy and Bruce are both probably better suited to play as forwards, but for Darcy I don’t mind him spending time back for development, while with Lobb’s recruitment Bruce has seen the challenge ahead and made sure he’s able to get some time in another role - a great versatile back up at this stage.

Good thought provoking post and one I’m sure we’ll continue to debate.

18. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HKB View Post
    I still remember the practice game at Ballarat against St Kilda when Naughton was swung forward by Bevo and it worked but it's been an ongoing debate. Mick McGaune told me a couple of weeks back that in his opinion Naughton is a AA defender.
    I can see both sides to the argument but it's hard to move a guy capable of scoring 50 goals in a season.

I guess the question is could Lobb, Marra and Bruce get us close to what we need in terms of output from key forwards?

20. Likes Stevo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

For me it's an easy decision.

Defence wins finals.

We will have an amazing attack with Lobb, Bruce, Marra, Weightman etc.

Our weakness is in defence. Put your best player there.

Kicking goals wont be a problem for us, stopping them will.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    For me it's an easy decision.

Defence wins finals.

We will have an amazing attack with Lobb, Bruce, Marra, Weightman etc.

Our weakness is in defence. Put your best player there.

Kicking goals wont be a problem for us, stopping them will.
    Our recruitment of Jones and now a fitter Keath plus the emergence of Gardner gives us a bit more depth than in previous years plus it looks like Darcy is a first choice defender. Would Naughton to the back line a fix a problem that we don't have?