Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  31
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Excited, worried, uncertain

Heard this on SEN and thought we should canvass our WOOF members.

What one thing has you excited about the 2023 season?
    What one thing has you worried about the 2023 season
    What one thing makes you uncertain about the 2023 season?

Please try and answer all 3.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Excited, worried, uncertain

Excited : Jamarra's big pre season and the amazing shape he's in. Reckon he's ready for a big year especially with Lobb coming into the forward line.

Actually the entire tall forward line what a nightmare matchup for the opposition.

Worried : defence. Jones is a good addition however the waning form of Keath and our lack of a decent small lock down option ticks the worried box for me.

Uncertain : would have to be Treloar. Hugely interrupted pre season, the bromance is shattered so he's a close watch for me this year to see how he performs and how the club can assist him to be his best.

3. Likes EasternWest, Go_Dogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post

Excited: Sounds like Bont is fit and he's just the best player in the comp.
    Worried: We have a lot of eggs in the Jones basket and 18-months out of footy I just don't know...
    Uncertain: I just don't get how the forward line is going to look and cant really figure out how the pieces fit.

Cool thread.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

5. Likes EasternWest, Go_Dogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Based on the reports we have been receiving
    Excited - A fit Marcus
    Worried - What if something happens to Tim?
    Uncertain - Can we keep the scoreboard ticking?

Post Thanks / Like

Excited: A fit and raring to go Bont

Worried: about our defensive system is fixed or not fixed

UnCertain: Which team will show up for making finals.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Excited the continued development of Jamarra, Naughton and Darcy. Not sure we’ve ever had a group of talented talls as we do now.

Worried how our backs gel and perform. Like really worried!

Uncertain how English performs against the best rucks. His stoppage work needs to improve.

Post Thanks / Like

Excited : Lobbs inclusion to stop that 2 nd ruck mix and match
    Worried : Wasting another year without making a run in the finals
    Uncertain : Will the depth of our midfield be tested?

Post Thanks / Like

Excited: Teddy Richards primed to dominate and take charge of the backline.

Worried: Injuries to aging but critical players - Jones, Duryea, Keath, JJ, etc

Uncertain: How dynamic our midfield mix is? Do we have enough variety and different looks / attributes to challenge the better sides consistently.

11. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Excited: Young Talls. Can carry the side for the next decade.

Worried: Old playing list and aging midfield. The 2023 draft is crucial towards replenishing this part of the ground.

Uncertain: Playing style. This is make or break stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post

I am excited about the prospect of this team performing to its full potential and winning a flag. They are good enough on their day and it’s a joy to watch our best footy unfold.

I am worried that there’s a monkey on their back now, with the manner they’ve folded in big games.

I anm uncertain what impact the change in training base and conditions for the players will have with the redevelopment disruptions.

14. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Likes Stevo, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Excited - tall timber across the ground, and some in reserve. Across many ages we seem to be covered for the first time I can recall

Worried - missing Dunkley with Treloar injured and West, Garcia and anyone else untried/ not ready to step up

Uncertain - our too many midfield problem now manifesting as a too many talls problem
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Excited - don’t get the trepidation from others, because if Jamarra takes a leap, Cody gets his pre-dislocated-elbow-which-he-played-through-because-he’s-a-psycho form, Marvel Stadium Lobb is a thing and Naughton takes some benefit from not having to do actually everything, we might just have the best forward line in the league

Worried - we didn’t do anything to address what’s cost us three straight finals campaigns. Well we did do something but apparently the something we did isn’t going to be used to do anything. If Tim hasn’t improved his centre square ruckwork it doesn’t matter how many marks inside 50 we get or how hard the midfield works to make up for him.

Uncertain - the reports on Jones are good to hear but I can’t shake my last real memory of him getting completely cooked by Josh Bruce at Marvel in 2021. We don’t exactly have a Weitering to support him either and I don’t buy that missing a whole year is anything but bad news.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

17. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Excited: The Talls. What a crew!

Uncertain: The Talls. Will they all gel and fit in a balanced team?

Worried: Jones and Keath may be no good and then we’re in real trouble.

Post Thanks / Like

Excited: Team is relatively fit and an injury free Bont gives us our difference maker in 50/50 games.

Uncertain: How the talls gel at each end. I feel we are being judged as though Jamarra and Darcy are finished products and this adds more pressure on the coaching group to squeeze them in.

Worried: List gaps when it comes to outside run, lock down defender small/medium and ground level forward. All teams have these gaps it feels like ours are relatively significant, can we fill them?

Post Thanks / Like

Excited:

I’ve got a bit of 2010 feel about things. Finals for a couple years, but bringing in Lobb as a structurally important player like Barry Hall was. Who let Jarrad Grant & Gia have their best seasons to date having lesser defenders. Got to the prelim, and fluffed our lines then. But we have three club leading goal kickers on the list (Naughton, Lobb & Bruce) with Picks 1 & 2 (Marra & Darcy) and with a genuine second ruck, allowing Tim to maybe have a rest forward too. Work out the smalls led by Cody, and execute forward entries well, I don’t see a defence being able to stop them all. With Marra & Darcy to be well down the order of defenders, if their performances bring belief and confidence at belonging at the level too, the confidence in the forward half will never have been seen before. Lobb as a structural change is huge for Tim and the forwards.

Uncertain:

The ‘Old Men’s Club’ (defence). Keath, Bruce, Jones, Duryea. All could play in the same side, but will their bodies hold up. Dr Buss is a project and Bevo says Darcy is a forward/ruck. Leaving just Gardner at a more spritely age (with amazing TOG numbers also which could really help). So how the medicos keep them together seems to me to be uncertain. Manage ur well and if they’re playing well, then it will no longer be uncertain.

Worried:

The wings. And if Sam Power will sleep this year thinking about all the good picks and spare salary cap he’s got available. Plus potentially getting another highly rated KPP as a Father/Son. Poor guy.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023