Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  14

View Poll Results: I will throw "xxxxxx" forward to pinch a goal.

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Bont

8 32.00%
  • Timmy English

2 8.00%
  • Bailey Dale

4 16.00%
  • Caleb Daniel

1 4.00%
  • Alex Keath

0 0%
  • JJ (I'm assuming he's playing back)

1 4.00%
  • The prodigal son (Darcy)

9 36.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

You're the COACH: Question #1

Just a fun little poll.

I have written up a few of these and would like to get some opinions on what you would do.

Question #1:

There are 7-minutes remaining and we are 9 points (so, 2-goals) down. We have dominated inside 50's on the day and so far in the last q have had 17 inside 50's (world record pace) vs only 6 for our oppo but have managed only 1.3.

You have decided to make a forward change to try and 'pinch' a goal/the game. So you throw "xxxxxxx" into the forward line.

Adding some justification would make this more fun!
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: You're the COACH: Question #1

I will go with the Bont for this year but depending on where Darcy plays, in future probably Darcy. As fatigue starts to set in, the tall guys don't get any shorter and they can usually pluck a mark.

I chose Bont as he can be a match winner.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

3. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My answer is English with the caveat that Lobb is moved into the ruck. Tim’s around the ground and boundary stoppage work is much better than Lobb’s is, but if we’re being honest with ourselves and need a true hitout to advantage from a centre clearance then Lobb is our best look at it. It’s a rein we haven’t been able to pull previously and think it can make us a much more dynamic team

Plus Tim is really dangerous up forward in his own right anyway.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Naughton.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Naughton.
    you read the wrong question
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    you read the wrong question
    G tells me he's a defender now..! I'm throwing him forward when needed, reason : he's a good forward.

I actually selected Darcy - reading the recent interview with Gardner he reckons he marks everything that goes near him.
    I think he'd be the perfect choice to throw forward in this scenario.

8. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Dale. Proven goal kicker and has fwd smarts.

Post Thanks / Like

Bont without question. His mere presence alone will cause unease against every single opposition player down there and I'd bank on him to create a Bontcentric environment that provides opportunities for others (although Bont is just as likely to win the match off his own boot anyway).

11. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Given I don't know the line up its a bit difficult to answer but assuming they're not in there already I would move the following fwd and in this order.
    - Darcy, this kid has the talent and temperament to do this. He'll clunk a couple of marks and slot them easily.
    - Bont, goes without saying however I wouldn't put my house on his goal kicking.
    - West, kid plays bigger than he is, can take a good mark, is an accurate kick and can win a free if the ball hits the deck.

13. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Dale undoubtedly. Bont and Macrae are our top inside 50ers so they'll keep doing that. Dale arguably our best kick, a fair mark and a former forward knows forward play.

15. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bailey Dale. Would back him to find a pocket of space on a short lead and more likely than not to convert from anywhere.

Post Thanks / Like

I went for Big Chill. At the end of the season he started to really clunk them. Given we are trying to pinch a goal, its either against the run of play or late in the quarter. We are pumping the ball in with a hail-mary sort of approach ... I'm saying Tim English will stand tall and take a one grabber; go back and kick the goal.
    WOOF Member 422

Post Thanks / Like

I went with Caleb. He is so clever, he is the kind of player that find a goal that no one else can see. Also, I think the oppo would certainly plan for Bont & to a lesser extent Dale (my first thought) so Daniel would probably be a bit less predictable.

I'll never forget Caleb popping up for one of the most crucial goal's in our history in the 2016 prelim
    Last edited by The Doctor; 13-02-2023 at 06:48 PM.
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

19. Likes Dogs 24/7 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Darcy for me.

If we're dominating i50s, for the love of god keep that midfield group together.
    Darcy right now is a one-trick pony but by god being 8 foot tall and marking the ball at it's highest point is a good trick.

Starting forward defences will work him out. Pinch hit late in a quarter and they might not adjust in time.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    I went with Caleb. He is so clever, he is the kind of player that find a goal that no one else can see. Also, I think the oppo would certainly plan for Bont & to a lesser extent Dale (my first thought) so Daniel would probably be a bit less predictable.

I'll never forget Caleb popping up for one of the most crucial goal's in our history in the 2016 prelim
    Do you remember that goal he kicked against the Crows I think in Ballarat? He can do it from a stoppage as well. Surprised he hasn't been tried across half forward more.