Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  38
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How successful will Bruce be playing Back

I would play Bruce (as a backman) against the gorillas, where his experience and strength could come to the fore. Tom Hawkins, for example, takes so many unattended chest marks because he does all the necessary bodywork before the ball arrives. Pretty hard to move (a fit) Josh off his intended contest. Of course, now Cordy has gone, a bit of mongrel in the backline won't hurt us either.
    The truth will set you free,
    but first it will piss you off. ... Gloria Steinem.

2. Likes GVGjr, azabob, WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I can't see it working out but I'm hopeful it does.

4. Likes Bullies liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I can't forget his big hauls as a forward and hope he can find a spot somewhere.

6. Likes Nuggety Back Pocket, josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornInDroopSt'54 View Post
    I can't forget his big hauls as a forward and hope he can find a spot somewhere.
    He's been with us for 3 years (47 games) and he's kicked 4 or more goals on just 3 occasions.. 2 of these were against the worst performed team (North) through this time so with more depth in the forward line and coming off the knee injury it's clear he is at the back of queue.

Post Thanks / Like

Got a bit of it in the practice match and duly butchered it leading directly to simple goals on a number of occasions.

Not sure if time in defence fixes the issues he has. A real concern if we’re relying on him.

9. Likes Bullies liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree, If we're relatively injury free this year in defense and up forward, Bruce may struggle to remain relevant.
    He will need to make the most of his opportunities as injuries keep him in the mix for the 22, otherwise he could quickly find himself struggling to have a regular first 22 role this season.

11. Likes Bullies liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Poor Bruce had some shockers yesterday . They do stick out more in defence . Hopefully it was just one of those days and at least it was only a practice match or some supporters would have lost their shit .
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Thought he was ok. Competed well and did his job. Errors were exposed and he will learn. As a backup he is more than serviceable.

14. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

How do you rate his first month back in the (old) men’s club? afl.com.au match report has him in our bests from yesterday.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    How do you rate his first month back in the (old) men’s club? afl.com.au match report has him in our bests from yesterday.
    I thought he's been OK across the first three rounds. He did some ok things yesterday in terms of his positioning and thought he was switched on defensively but he made some critical errors. The conditions didn't suit him.

Not sure why we went with three tall backs last night was a weird decision I thought given the conditions and the lack of quality talls in Richmond's forward line.

Post Thanks / Like

He hasn’t been great, hasn’t been terrible. I would’ve taken that in the pre season.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

How do you rate his first month back in the (old) men?s club? afl.com.au match report has him in our bests from yesterday.
    He has definitely surpassed expectations and played a key role in our new Monsters of the Maribyrnong setup.

Thought it was interesting last night that at the first bounce, Keath went to Lynch and Jones to Martin. Bruce isn?t the one going to the opposition?s stud tall forward. And Jones is seen as having the defensive nouse and foot speed to go with the Dusty type.
    "I'll give him a hug before the first bounce and then I'll run into my pack and give them orders to rip him apart."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelGrip View Post
    He has definitely surpassed expectations and played a key role in our new Monsters of the Maribyrnong setup.

Thought it was interesting last night that at the first bounce, Keath went to Lynch and Jones to Martin. Bruce isn?t the one going to the opposition?s stud tall forward. And Jones is seen as having the defensive nouse and foot speed to go with the Dusty type.
    Bevo mentioned after Round 1 that Bruce is down there to play an 'intercepting' role. Think he's given the least dangerous forward so that it frees him up to come off his man and help in the air - can see that in some of the aggressive decisions he's making as well to leave his man.

Think he's making a fist of something he's not hugely suited to. I'd prefer someone more mobile and safer by foot in the spot, but he's trying his guts out and keeping Gardiner/O'Brien/Buku out of the side at the moment.

20. Likes EasternWest, SquirrelGrip liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

He's gotten a bit better each week so I think he is earning his spot.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

22. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

OK.

He is going to get burnt out the back if he is up against a player who can get their feet moving. He is going to turn over the footy a bit with his less than surgeon like kicking and fast, instinctive release of the footy by hand.

He is going to keep giving a strong physical contest in the air and in the clinches. He will win some important battles.

Appreciate the effort he is putting in and that it’s an adjustment for him, so let’s see if we can build on OK form towards solid and reliable.