Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  38
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How successful will Bruce be playing Back

Quote Originally Posted by SonofScray View Post
    It’s a credit to him that he is prepared to risk his spot and take on a challenge in an area of need for us. Somewhat forced into it, by circumstance, but he could have just settled for getting edged out.
    I would think we have equal cover at both ends of the ground so perhaps Bruce in training with the defensive group is brought up to speed so he can fill the role, but think he’s ‘next in line’ at both ends…. Or perhaps needed more as a forward if there is form or injury issues with Naughton, Lobb or JUH.

2. Likes SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Like Gollum, Brucey may yet have a role to play. Jones is a bit of an unknown quantity right now. Keith had a bad season last year. Darcy is still developing and may be best suited as a ruck or ruck/forward in a year or two. After that it is Gardner supported by inexperienced third tall types and slow burn bus driver.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

4. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Right now Jones & Gardner are ahead of Bruce as KPDs, and I don't think Bruce plays an interceptor role so that's Keath and Darcy ahead of him in that role too - with Khamis/O'Brien arguably stiff competition for that one spot too.

Jones has had 18 months out of the game so there's every chance Bruce gets games this year but it may not be too many.
    I suspect we may consider one of Keath or Bruce for a 1 year extension next year if either play more than a handful of games
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

I'm pretty sceptical about him succeeding there, interestingly for many of the reasons i didn't think Jones would be a good defender.

Think he lacks finesse with his marking, i bad at ground level, and is sloppy by foot, all things Jones had as limitations. Obviously making the switch much older but a chance i guess of making it, although I don't know if i see him being a better option than a fit version of any of Keath, Gardner, Jones or Darcy.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

7. Likes Matjoh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Love Bruce's enthusiasm but its not enough. His after injury comeback was a huge fail. I think he's too slow to trouble good forwards and poor at ground level. Sadly I think he'll only be a spare back/forward after Khamis and even a fit O'brien. Sweet a better stand in ruck too. Could be Bruce's last year.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Matjoh View Post
    Love Bruce's enthusiasm but its not enough. His after injury comeback was a huge fail. I think he's too slow to trouble good forwards and poor at ground level. Sadly I think he'll only be a spare back/forward after Khamis and even a fit O'brien. Sweet a better stand in ruck too. Could be Bruce's last year.
    I tend to agree but the main challenge for him as a defender is his decision making and his kicking. He's poor on his opposite foot and it takes a while for him to get the ball too his boot. Now as experienced as he is he might be able to make the adjustment but as a defender he might struggle.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

10. Likes Matjoh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I’m a fan of this move. Bruce was drafted to GWS as a key defender, and was picked up by StKilda to play down back as well. I reckon this puts pressure on Keith, and pushes out Gardener. I’ll put it out there that come round one, Jones and Bruce will be out two key defenders, maybe Gardener as a third tall if required, and Keith will be in the Magoos.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AutoFill View Post
    I’m a fan of this move. Bruce was drafted to GWS as a key defender, and was picked up by StKilda to play down back as well. I reckon this puts pressure on Keith, and pushes out Gardener. I’ll put it out there that come round one, Jones and Bruce will be out two key defenders, maybe Gardener as a third tall if required, and Keith will be in the Magoos.
    He's got a bit of work to do to force his way in but at least we will have plenty of depth. He will play a few roles for us this year.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AutoFill View Post
    I think Gardner is a lock for best 22
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I think Gardner is a lock for best 22
    No doubt. Him and Jones and then we have decisions to make.

My preference is that Keath gets first crack at an intercepting role. Keath or Darcy

RedWhite&Blue Guest

He looks extremely fit and has lost the weight to lessen the strain on his knee.
    In full flight Bruce is a better forward than Lobb but the question remains if he can capture that 2021 form.
    As a backman Bruce is an unknown quantity and he's only a warm body in the ruck.
    I think it is easier for a forward to go back rather than the other way around so I'm backing Bruce in to make it work.
    Fingers crossed.

16. Likes Bulldog4life, Happy Days, bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Think he should be a depth forward, basically Lobb replacement who never plays 22.

18. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think he lacks lateral movement and agility, but moves real well north south, which to me are more forward traits. Like a few others have mentioned, i think he suits more as a backup forward to younger options. I think he will play a similar role within the group to what Schache did last year, just be better at it. I wouldn't chance playing him back personally.

20. Likes GVGjr, Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by muzzyahoy View Post
    I think he lacks lateral movement and agility, but moves real well north south, which to me are more forward traits. Like a few others have mentioned, i think he suits more as a backup forward to younger options. I think he will play a similar role within the group to what Schache did last year, just be better at it. I wouldn't chance playing him back personally.
    This makes a lot of sense. Welcome aboard mate. I'm a raptors fan too, well was the year we had Kawhi so I'm really a fair weather supporter.
    Keep one eye on them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    I would think we have equal cover at both ends of the ground so perhaps Bruce in training with the defensive group is brought up to speed so he can fill the role, but think he’s ‘next in line’ at both ends…. Or perhaps needed more as a forward if there is form or injury issues with Naughton, Lobb or JUH.
    Yep all makes sense.