Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  37
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Developing tall players

Recent history might not suggested we have been overly successful in developing key position players via the draft.

At the end of the 2019 season our lack of key position players meant we had to go out and bring in two experienced players from opposition teams in Alex Keath and Josh Bruce that were bookends for our forward and back lines.
    Both were around 27/28 years of age at the time but it addressed the gaps that we had and both now enter the 2023 as reinvigorated players after injury prone 2022 seasons.

At the end of the 2022 season, and partly due to the injuries to Keath and Bruce, we once again went shopping for KPP and got Jones as a key back and Lobb to play alongside of Naughton up forward and to help out as the match day support ruckman. Both have fitted in well but Jones is nearly 32 and Lobb nearly 30. Lets hope the fountain of youth is kind to our 4 key positions recruits.

Along the way we have brought in Gardner from Geelong who is performing well and might be ready for a big season, we had the draft gods smile on us with Naughton and after a long wait we've seen a significant upside in English. We are still patiently awaiting for Sweet to make a step forward as a viable ruck option for us.

We are now the 5th most experienced side in the competition which would indicate that we should be poised for a real tilt at this seasons flag.

Over the last 3 years we have invested a lot in drafting our own key position players. Ugle-Hagan went #1, Darcy #2 and Busslinger #13 but I question what does the club need to do to make sure we can genuinely develop the taller players?
    What might other clubs do to fast track or accelerate the development of KPP?

I'm interested an idea if we need to bring in development coaches who might have a particular focus or skill set in developing key position players?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Developing tall players

Let's not forget Naughton at pick 9 who goes ok, and I still think given Gardner's fanatical approach to training he gets to 100 games for us.

JUH is a slow-burn and I'm not sure he ever becomes a no 1 forward. Darcy could well and up a 60/40 or even a 50/50 forward/ruck for us in time. Just watching how the kids 'naturally' time their attack on the football is a fair indicator of what they will develop into.
    I do think a bit of exposure to both ends of the ground does help with development.
    I really think Marra needs to pinch hit in defence occasionally and if he's still running under the ball at times it could help his timing a little.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, we were certainly blessed with getting Naughton.

Post Thanks / Like

Training with other proven key position players is the best thing they can have for their development in my view. Think of how much a young forward would learn opposed to Steven May at training or a key defender dealing with Josh Kennedy at his very best.

5. Likes hujsh, GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Great example of Kennedy at training here. Knowing how hard to work, when to engage and when to hold etc is going to be much more quickly absorbed like this in my opinion.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=r41lrxTbz9c

7. Thanks hujsh, GVGjr thanked for this post
    Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dog town View Post
    Great example of Kennedy at training here. Knowing how hard to work, when to engage and when to hold etc is going to be much more quickly absorbed like this in my opinion.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=r41lrxTbz9c
    Perfect example of a hard working and persistent training drill.

Post Thanks / Like

I believe it takes patience when developing key position players. Coaches need to possess a clear conception of how big players will fit into their game plan and, consequently, the skills and physical attributes they need to bring to their team. For example, the game plan might call for a fast, leading forward with good hands or a rebounding interceptor or a defensive gorilla who can match it on-on-one opposition with any opposition forward. Whatever. The task becomes, firstly, to find the likely types and, secondly, to develop the attributes that attracted you to them.

Coaching Essential One is to develop the skills central to your game plan. If, say, you have a gun midfield, stacked with elite kicking skills, you might recruit a fast, leading type. You would then coach marking skills on a lead, blocking patterns or fast spreading. If your half backs play high, you might recruit a defensive type capable of matching forwards in one-on-one contests resulting from fast-break turnovers. Coaching then would focus on defensive body positioning, spoiling, and ground positioning. Create Dale Morris mark II.

But you must also be aware that, generally, most opposition KPPs are strong men. If your KPPs can’t compete physically, their effectiveness will be limited. And that goes for ruckmen as well. For example: Zaine Cordy, Tim O’Brien, Josh Schache, early JUH, early Tim English. All have been monstered from time to time.

So, coaching Essential Two is to build strong cores. To build muscle. To build strength.
    We have failed badly on this score. Too few players have had the strength to match it one on one with their direct opponent. Sweet perhaps, but he’s a ruckman. Naughton perhaps, but he’s a freak who slips any attempt to lock him up in a contest. The backline has struggled particularly in this regard.

But maybe no longer. At last, we seem to be on the right path. Smart recruiting has blessed us with a bevy of developing types who have potential – Darcy, Busslinger, Naughton, JUH, Raak, Gardner and Sweet. We also have mature types who can hold the fort as they mature – Jones, Lobb, Keath and Bruce. The coaching challenge is to develop a robust and consistent game plan that we stick to. Coach to it and continue to recruit to it. And build stronger bodies along the way.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Critter View Post
    I believe it takes patience when developing key position players. Coaches need to possess a clear conception of how big players will fit into their game plan and, consequently, the skills and physical attributes they need to bring to their team. For example, the game plan might call for a fast, leading forward with good hands or a rebounding interceptor or a defensive gorilla who can match it on-on-one opposition with any opposition forward. Whatever. The task becomes, firstly, to find the likely types and, secondly, to develop the attributes that attracted you to them.

Coaching Essential One is to develop the skills central to your game plan. If, say, you have a gun midfield, stacked with elite kicking skills, you might recruit a fast, leading type. You would then coach marking skills on a lead, blocking patterns or fast spreading. If your half backs play high, you might recruit a defensive type capable of matching forwards in one-on-one contests resulting from fast-break turnovers. Coaching then would focus on defensive body positioning, spoiling, and ground positioning. Create Dale Morris mark II.

But you must also be aware that, generally, most opposition KPPs are strong men. If your KPPs can’t compete physically, their effectiveness will be limited. And that goes for ruckmen as well. For example: Zaine Cordy, Tim O’Brien, Josh Schache, early JUH, early Tim English. All have been monstered from time to time.

So, coaching Essential Two is to build strong cores. To build muscle. To build strength.
    We have failed badly on this score. Too few players have had the strength to match it one on one with their direct opponent. Sweet perhaps, but he’s a ruckman. Naughton perhaps, but he’s a freak who slips any attempt to lock him up in a contest. The backline has struggled particularly in this regard.

But maybe no longer. At last, we seem to be on the right path. Smart recruiting has blessed us with a bevy of developing types who have potential – Darcy, Busslinger, Naughton, JUH, Raak, Gardner and Sweet. We also have mature types who can hold the fort as they mature – Jones, Lobb, Keath and Bruce. The coaching challenge is to develop a robust and consistent game plan that we stick to. Coach to it and continue to recruit to it. And build stronger bodies along the way.
    What a post Critter. You are setting a very high benchmark.

Post Thanks / Like

A great post but I do have issue with your opening line.

This is a cart before the horse approach.

Coach has a list of players and needs to develop a game plan that fits with the skill set available.

To my mind it has been one of the frustrations of the Beveridge era.

Players are cast aside because of what they can't do without the opportunity to develop with what they can do.

Prime examples in Roughead and Lewis Young and probably Josh Schache.

We have had talls with certain skills that can be utilised at AFL level, but the coach has determined that they don't fit his game plan.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post

Coach has a list of players and needs to develop a game plan that fits with the skill set available.

Players are cast aside because of what they can't do without the opportunity to develop with what they can do.

We have had talls with certain skills that can be utilised at AFL level, but the coach has determined that they don't fit his game plan.
    Exactly what Rocket did when he got to the club. Initially he had ideas about what the game plan should be, but once he got to know the players, he changed it up to suit their skill set.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Great post mate.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Roughy wasn't cast aside, and again, we offered a contract for Young and did whatever we could to get him to play at times even though it wasn't in his preferred position (and if you listen to the justifications from the coach, it was because we needed another player to take on a role that meant a spot opened up for him).

I do understand what you mean in terms of adapting a game plan for the cattle you have, however, I'm not sure those you mention would have been good enough to alter the intentions of the coaching team to give them a go when more committed players who were able to actually run and be committed to the structure/ standard required were available.

Do we really think in a sliding doors moment that saw a change in approach that gave Lewis Young or Josh Schache more opportunity in their preferred roles would have made a difference to our fortunes these past couple of years? Or Jordan Sweet?

Mainly my issues with Bevo are around patterns that have developed across vulnerabilities in the middle and team defence. Much of this is on the players, possibly most of it I guess, but that he hasn't been able to get consistent attention to detail in these areas frustrates me. And a different way of using fringe talls probably doesn't really change anything in them.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Roughy wasn't cast aside, and again, we offered a contract for Young and did whatever we could to get him to play at times even though it wasn't in his preferred position (and if you listen to the justifications from the coach, it was because we needed another player to take on a role that meant a spot opened up for him).

I do understand what you mean in terms of adapting a game plan for the cattle you have, however, I'm not sure those you mention would have been good enough to alter the intentions of the coaching team to give them a go when more committed players who were able to actually run and be committed to the structure/ standard required were available.

Do we really think in a sliding doors moment that saw a change in approach that gave Lewis Young or Josh Schache more opportunity in their preferred roles would have made a difference to our fortunes these past couple of years? Or Jordan Sweet?

Mainly my issues with Bevo are around patterns that have developed across vulnerabilities in the middle and team defence. Much of this is on the players, possibly most of it I guess, but that he hasn't been able to get consistent attention to detail in these areas frustrates me. And a different way of using fringe talls probably doesn't really change anything in them.
    Both Roughead and Young have had good seasons after their departure in positions of need for us.

You can offer any reasons they left, but the prime one was the lack of opportunity to continue playing with us.

This lack of opportunity I see as the Coach/Match Committee not valuing what they could do.

It is now old ground, but I want our current talls to develop to maximise their talents.

We probably need to accept that Sam Darcy will get burnt by a leading forward if we play him as a key defender.

We also need to find ways for our key forwards to get separation to assist them getting more uncontested ball.

The game plan needs to be developed to maximise their chance of success or we will see players like Jamarra and even Aaron Naughton not being as good as they could be.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Both Roughead and Young have had good seasons after their departure in positions of need for us.

You can offer any reasons they left, but the prime one was the lack of opportunity to continue playing with us.

This lack of opportunity I see as the Coach/Match Committee not valuing what they could do.

It is now old ground, but I want our current talls to develop to maximise their talents.

We probably need to accept that Sam Darcy will get burnt by a leading forward if we play him as a key defender.

We also need to find ways for our key forwards to get separation to assist them getting more uncontested ball.

The game plan needs to be developed to maximise their chance of success or we will see players like Jamarra and even Aaron Naughton not being as good as they could be.
    Roughead played every game he was fit and was the clear first choice ruckman. He didn't normally complete those games but he was selected regardless.

Post Thanks / Like

Very good post. I agree that core strength is critical to a developing key position player, many of these kids are 6'6 at 18 and lack core strength, so it takes time on the track and in the gym to get them into a competitive position.

The other constraint is the skill set required to be a key position player at AFL level, particularly a key forward. It's tough. All footballers are taught to track the ball and apply pressure through junior footy so midfielders are already ahead of the curve when they arrive at AFL clubs because they've been pretty much doing the same thing since u/8. The skill set of a key forward doesn't really become apparent until much later, perhaps even u/14 - u/15 level, at least that's what I see at junior levels.

It's a great start to be tall and keen but learning to read the flight of the ball, use your body to protect the drop zone, time your fly and mark the thing - how many times have we seen fresh and even experienced KPP run under the bloody thing - and develop sophisticated leading patterns takes time, alot of time and practice to be ready for AFL level defenders. Then there's confidence and then, as you say there's core strength etc. Lastly, there are big talented guys standing next to you the entire match trying to kill anything and everything that comes your way. It's their sole focus and that's why the key forward role is the hardest position to play and that's why a good one is worth their weight in gold. Alot of pieces need to come together to make an effective KPP at AFL level, more than any other type of player so the hit / miss ratio is going to be higher for KPP as it has been for us for a long time.

We've been blessed with Naughton who was an elite mark coming into the club, he was strong, fast and agile and now he's one of the best key forwards in the country, Darcy is showing great signs as well. He can read the flight of the ball very well and knows how to position himself to compete in aerial contests, these are great traits but not every key forward has them at a high level, and most take much longer to fully develop them.

18. Likes bornadog, Bulldog4life liked this post