Thanks Thanks:  12
Likes Likes:  42
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Stewart Crameri opens up on how the Essendon supplements saga impacted his life

I think it always on people to understand what is being injected and in a football sense the alarm bells should have been raised when the club Doctor was being ignored.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Stewart Crameri opens up on how the Essendon supplements saga impacted his life

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    The players did nothing wrong.

No doubt they should have been banned - no doubt - but they were let down by the club.

I have sympathy for Hird as he has been made the scapegoat by the AFL. I don't have sympathy for his penalties but no doubt Gill + co have a LOT to answer for. A LOT! They threw Hird into the Lions Den when they could have offered support. They isolated Essendon from the AFL to ensure the suggestions that other clubs (esp. St Kilda) were equally up to their eyes in it went no further...

None of that means he isn't a peanut and shouldn't have been banned. He is and he should never coach again. But there's a reason he fought the AFL and that's because Gill and co weren't necessarily honest about what they knew and when.
    With all due respect the players were led astray and Hird was at the head of the program.

While there are clearly errors in the AFL handling of the case, Hird is much more than a mere scapegoat.

The suggestion that others were doing similar things does not exonerate Hird.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

David Zaharakis' full story would be an interesting one as he was the odd one out and was he really a needle phob has he had pain injections during games which contradicts that story or did he have some apprehension about the program and its legitimacy.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

4. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    If you were the captain, would you not be raising some alarm bells re offsite injections?

The players that were "leaders" I don't have sympathy for.
    Who would they raise it with? And maybe they did and were told “it’s all good. The doctors are all over it and Hirdy is too.”

I feel for them. I mean, I hate Essendon and sucked in, but the players I feel for. Can’t say I’d have done anything apart from going along with it myself.

6. Likes mjp liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I’ve seen Crammers around Ballarat recently and not only is he still a big unit, he’s a really nice guy. Such a shame how his career panned out but it seems he’s gotten his head around it as well as possible.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

8. Likes bornadog, Mofra, GVGjr, jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I think it always on people to understand what is being injected and in a football sense the alarm bells should have been raised when the club Doctor was being ignored.
    I would always ask the Doctor what is being injected into me.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    Who would they raise it with? And maybe they did and were told “it’s all good. The doctors are all over it and Hirdy is too.”

I feel for them. I mean, I hate Essendon and sucked in, but the players I feel for. Can’t say I’d have done anything apart from going along with it myself.
    The big red flag was Doc Reid being excluded from the program.

I do have sympathy for the players as the club held a huge position of power over them, but I'd want to know what I was putting into my body as a professional athlete.
    Heck, I want to know now as an amateur hack
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    I’ve seen Crammers around Ballarat recently and not only is he still a big unit, he’s a really nice guy. Such a shame how his career panned out but it seems he’s gotten his head around it as well as possible.
    No doubt.

Jobe cops a lot of flak but he's an absolute gentleman too
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    The big red flag was Doc Reid being excluded from the program.

I do have sympathy for the players as the club held a huge position of power over them, but I'd want to know what I was putting into my body as a professional athlete.
    Heck, I want to know now as an amateur hack
    "It's just some additional proteins to help us recover quicker so we can work harder. It's cutting edge but it's all good".

Then what?

Did the players know that Reid was excluded?

Post Thanks / Like

"It's just some additional proteins to help us recover quicker so we can work harder. It's cutting edge but it's all good".

Then what?

Did the players know that Reid was excluded?
    Exactly.

The players did what they were told and why would they need to talk to the Dr...from their perspective, the injections were club sanctioned so...
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    With all due respect the players were led astray and Hird was at the head of the program.

While there are clearly errors in the AFL handling of the case, Hird is much more than a mere scapegoat.

The suggestion that others were doing similar things does not exonerate Hird.
    Pretty sure I said Hird should be banned. I do NOT think he should be exonerated.

My sympathy for him comes from the way the AFL approached the situation - they KNEW what was happening and threw Essendon under the bus. Where Hird and the club needed support, they were isolated and forced to deal with the top-bottom scenario personally...it was not cool.

Hird did the wrong thing but so did AFL House. There are two scandals here:

1/. Essendon drug scandal and I doubt we will EVER know what the real story over what was being injected was.
    2/. AFL information scandal.

Read Warner's book. It's bad.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

15. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Not all the players, the leaders.

Maybe it's a cultural issue that there's not a "safe space" to air your concerns.

If they did approach Hird with concerns (I never read they did) and they were rebutted then at least that's something.

It was a systematic breakdown, however somebody knew what they were doing wasn't legit.

Plus I can't believe we are still talking about it

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Plus I can't believe we are still talking about it
    It's simple we all hate Essenbums and their pain is the gift that keeps on giving. If the knife is in there just give a little twist every now and then.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

18. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    It's simple we all hate Essenbums and their pain is the gift that keeps on giving. If the knife is in there just give a little twist every now and then.
    It seems the media has decided this week is the week to seek redemption.

Numerous articles and all it does is confirm that Essendon are stuck in their own mire.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

I have a bit of sympathy for the players but it is 100% their responsibility, as well-paid professional athletes who had access to all possible information around PED's, to know to the last ml what is being injected into their bodies. I get the argument about peer pressure from the club saying everything is kosher, hence the small amount of sympathy.

I have much less sympathy for the club and its leaders. They are still the ony club to win a flag in the same year they were confirmed as cheating the cap - this is not beneath them at all. That's not to give a pass to the AFEL for shutting everything down that might have been going on at other clubs, or these other clubs (St Kilda, Geelong) who may or may not have been up to their ears in similar nefarious activity.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

21. Likes jeemak liked this post