Thanks Thanks:  12
Likes Likes:  42
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Stewart Crameri opens up on how the Essendon supplements saga impacted his life

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    I have a bit of sympathy for the players but it is 100% their responsibility, as well-paid professional athletes who had access to all possible information around PED's, to know to the last ml what is being injected into their bodies. I get the argument about peer pressure from the club saying everything is kosher, hence the small amount of sympathy.

I have much less sympathy for the club and its leaders. They are still the ony club to win a flag in the same year they were confirmed as cheating the cap - this is not beneath them at all. That's not to give a pass to the AFEL for shutting everything down that might have been going on at other clubs, or these other clubs (St Kilda, Geelong) who may or may not have been up to their ears in similar nefarious activity.
    It's says a bit about how passive the more senior players were at the club. I get younger players might follow the leader but it's hard to believe that a couple from the leadership group didn't challenge things or speak to their doctors and seek advice.
    There were a handful of players that said no wasn't there?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

2. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Stewart Crameri opens up on how the Essendon supplements saga impacted his life

If medical professionals are injecting me I want a piece of paper or e-record of what it is. I would also do a quick internet search from reputable medical/science driven sources or ask a GP about it pre-internet days, no matter how young an adult I was.

The off-site injections with no paperwork should have set alarm bells off, especially for senior players. And for those with a good relationship with Dr Reid and with him being seemingly being left out of program should have rung double alarm bells.

Do I feel sad for Crameri and some of the other EFC players that suffered? Yes. Do I feel sad for some ok members who acknowledge the whole saga was a stain on their history. Yes. Do I think the penalty given to their club or the players was over the top? No. In fact I think club penalty should have been higher. I remember reading the transcripts of sms from Hird to Charters (I think it was him) in The Age. Hird knew what they were embarking upon was suspect. Absolutely no sympathy for him and I do not think I could renew my dog’s membership if he was part of our coaching group or ever part of our club.

Honestly thought this was all over. Why dredge it up again?

4. Likes Sedat, bornadog, Grantysghost, jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by josie View Post
    If medical professionals are injecting me I want a piece of paper or e-record of what it is. I would also do a quick internet search from reputable medical/science driven sources or ask a GP about it pre-internet days, no matter how young an adult I was.

The off-site injections with no paperwork should have set alarm bells off, especially for senior players. And for those with a good relationship with Dr Reid and with him being seemingly being left out of program should have rung double alarm bells.

Do I feel sad for Crameri and some of the other EFC players that suffered? Yes. Do I feel sad for some ok members who acknowledge the whole saga was a stain on their history. Yes. Do I think the penalty given to their club or the players was over the top? No. In fact I think club penalty should have been higher. I remember reading the transcripts of sms from Hird to Charters (I think it was him) in The Age. Hird knew what they were embarking upon was suspect. Absolutely no sympathy for him and I do not think I could renew my dog’s membership if he was part of our coaching group or ever part of our club.

Honestly thought this was all over. Why dredge it up again?
    10 year anniversary has got it back in the news.

Nice post Josie.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

6. Thanks josie thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    I have a bit of sympathy for the players but it is 100% their responsibility, as well-paid professional athletes who had access to all possible information around PED's, to know to the last ml what is being injected into their bodies. I get the argument about peer pressure from the club saying everything is kosher, hence the small amount of sympathy.

I have much less sympathy for the club and its leaders. They are still the ony club to win a flag in the same year they were confirmed as cheating the cap - this is not beneath them at all. That's not to give a pass to the AFEL for shutting everything down that might have been going on at other clubs, or these other clubs (St Kilda, Geelong) who may or may not have been up to their ears in similar nefarious activity.
    It's a hard lesson to learn, but the players all were solely responsible for what was put into their bodies. It's OK for other sports, it's OK for Aussie Rules.

This renewed charm offencive by the media on behalf of the EFC is doing nothing beyond unifying opponents of the EFC against the EFC. I love that it happens every year or so, it'll never work.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

8. Likes GVGjr, josie, Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    It's a hard lesson to learn, but the players all were solely responsible for what was put into their bodies. It's OK for other sports, it's OK for Aussie Rules.

This renewed charm offencive by the media on behalf of the EFC is doing nothing beyond unifying opponents of the EFC against the EFC. I love that it happens every year or so, it'll never work.
    I think it is working very well.

Good to be reminded that Essendon still lack integrity and there media supporters have always overlooked their frailties.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Just on Hird and the drugs saga after I read The Boys Club my point of did change somewhat.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

11. Likes MrMahatma liked this post