Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  58
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: AFL : Other clubs 2023

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    Do they have anyone with obvious leadership?
    Maybe Zac Merrett or Andy McGrath
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting article re Ben Long. Likes the stability of one position, seems Dew will play him in the back 6.

I always liked this guy (until the Macrae incident) be interesting to see how he goes.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/874342/l...ty-at-the-suns

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Merrett has had a weird ride. He was VC one year, then left out of leadership group the next.

Those two along with Parish are probably the obvious candidates.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    McGrath is the definition of underwhelming.
    Just one of those guys who sends to have a lot of tools but you never see all of them in the same game.

Heppell is a fantastic guy, but he's barely best 22 for them.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Former Bulldog fan Coffield got through the saints sim match ok. I hope he goes well this year, for some reason I have a soft spot for the guys who endure an ACL and always like to see them get back.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

6. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    Thought Doedee would be a big chance there.

Wonder if he has other intentions being out of contract this year.
    Hopefully we throw our hat in the ring.

What Jordan Dawson being named Crows captain could mean for Tom Doedee’s future

Just after 11am on Saturday morning the phones of every Victorian list manager started to blow up.

That was when the news dropped about Jordan Dawson‘s appointment as the new Adelaide Crows captain but the phone calls weren’t about him, it was about the player he’d leapfrogged over to get the job.

Tom Doedee was already one of the biggest names in the 2023 free agent pool, now he‘s at the top of the pops given you don’t have to be Nostradamus to work out how the next eight months will unfold.

The Crows defender has already put contract talks on hold, they will remain that way as he gets his way back from injury, and then by mid-season when the Crows are most likely struggling again he‘ll privately start to look at the big-time offers coming from over the border.

And then when the season comes to a close, the former Geelong Falcon will reveal that suddenly the pull of home is too much and he‘ll be activating his free agency status to get back to Victoria.

In-between time, there will be plenty of denials and pledges of love for Adelaide but mark February 11 down as the day all 10 Victorian clubs started formulating their juicy offers for the 25-year-old centre half-back.

Doedee captained the Crows in five games in 2020 while Rory Sloane was out injured. He was put in the leadership group after just two seasons in the senior team.

Now being overtaken by someone whose been at West Lakes for five minutes has to be a kick in the guts.

While the appointment of Dawson came as a shock to many, it was greeted with a nod of approval in Sydney.

They knew all about his leadership qualities when he decided he wanted to go home to Adelaide at the end of the 2021 season.

Both South Australia teams were chasing Dawson and there were plenty of contacts in the Harbour City telling both that the half-back flanker with a booming left-foot was a special player.

On the field, Crows fans got to see that last year with his magical moment coming in just his third game when he kicked the winning goal in a famous after-the-siren Showdown victory over Port Adelaide.

Dawson went on to finish runner-up in the best-and-fairest and Crows coach Matthew Nicks called him a “natural leader” whose great strength was his ability to remain calm in chaos.

What happens to Doedee next will be interesting. He was part of a leadership group who shared the role last year – the others were Ben Keays, Reilly O’Brien and Brodie Smith – while Sloane was out with a serious knee injury.

The question that many will ask is did his decision to delay contract talks cost him the captaincy. Last month, Doedee was on local Adelaide radio explaining why he‘d dodged the decision to make a long-term commitment to the Crows.

“With the injuries that I’ve had and the surgeries I’ve had I knew I wouldn’t be able to commit to negotiating the contract stuff without being fully involved,“ Doedee told 5AA.

“I want to put that back, I want to focus on my rehab, make sure my shoulder’s right, give myself the best chance to play round one and then figure it out from there. I’m on path in that regard . . . and the contract stuff will follow.”

Which path he heads down now may be a different one to what he was thinking before the captaincy snub.

It‘s certainly a line his agent will be hearing from Victorian clubs as they ramp up their ’Get Doedee’ campaigns.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    McGrath is the definition of underwhelming.
    Just one of those guys who sends to have a lot of tools but you never see all of them in the same game.

Heppell is a fantastic guy, but he's barely best 22 for them.
    Such a shame they stuffed up their gifted #1.

Never draft short guys early (except Daicos)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Hopefully we throw our hat in the ring.

What Jordan Dawson being named Crows captain could mean for Tom Doedee’s future

Just after 11am on Saturday morning the phones of every Victorian list manager started to blow up.

That was when the news dropped about Jordan Dawson‘s appointment as the new Adelaide Crows captain but the phone calls weren’t about him, it was about the player he’d leapfrogged over to get the job.

Tom Doedee was already one of the biggest names in the 2023 free agent pool, now he‘s at the top of the pops given you don’t have to be Nostradamus to work out how the next eight months will unfold.

The Crows defender has already put contract talks on hold, they will remain that way as he gets his way back from injury, and then by mid-season when the Crows are most likely struggling again he‘ll privately start to look at the big-time offers coming from over the border.

And then when the season comes to a close, the former Geelong Falcon will reveal that suddenly the pull of home is too much and he‘ll be activating his free agency status to get back to Victoria.

In-between time, there will be plenty of denials and pledges of love for Adelaide but mark February 11 down as the day all 10 Victorian clubs started formulating their juicy offers for the 25-year-old centre half-back.

Doedee captained the Crows in five games in 2020 while Rory Sloane was out injured. He was put in the leadership group after just two seasons in the senior team.

Now being overtaken by someone whose been at West Lakes for five minutes has to be a kick in the guts.

While the appointment of Dawson came as a shock to many, it was greeted with a nod of approval in Sydney.

They knew all about his leadership qualities when he decided he wanted to go home to Adelaide at the end of the 2021 season.

Both South Australia teams were chasing Dawson and there were plenty of contacts in the Harbour City telling both that the half-back flanker with a booming left-foot was a special player.

On the field, Crows fans got to see that last year with his magical moment coming in just his third game when he kicked the winning goal in a famous after-the-siren Showdown victory over Port Adelaide.

Dawson went on to finish runner-up in the best-and-fairest and Crows coach Matthew Nicks called him a “natural leader” whose great strength was his ability to remain calm in chaos.

What happens to Doedee next will be interesting. He was part of a leadership group who shared the role last year – the others were Ben Keays, Reilly O’Brien and Brodie Smith – while Sloane was out with a serious knee injury.

The question that many will ask is did his decision to delay contract talks cost him the captaincy. Last month, Doedee was on local Adelaide radio explaining why he‘d dodged the decision to make a long-term commitment to the Crows.

“With the injuries that I’ve had and the surgeries I’ve had I knew I wouldn’t be able to commit to negotiating the contract stuff without being fully involved,“ Doedee told 5AA.

“I want to put that back, I want to focus on my rehab, make sure my shoulder’s right, give myself the best chance to play round one and then figure it out from there. I’m on path in that regard . . . and the contract stuff will follow.”

Which path he heads down now may be a different one to what he was thinking before the captaincy snub.

It‘s certainly a line his agent will be hearing from Victorian clubs as they ramp up their ’Get Doedee’ campaigns.
    Former Geelong Falcon..... Enough said.

10. Likes Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Gee whizz misses out on the captaincy so will have a big sook and go home? Expect the Cats to get him as part of a 'lifestyle / be closer to family choice'.

12. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Former Bulldog fan Coffield got through the saints sim match ok. I hope he goes well this year, for some reason I have a soft spot for the guys who endure an ACL and always like to see them get back.
    Taking he and Hunter Clark prior to Naughton has to still burn. They had two cracks at it!

Not sure about Coffield, Clark I like as a player though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Gee whizz misses out on the captaincy so will have a big sook and go home? Expect the Cats to get him as part of a 'lifestyle / be closer to family choice'.
    Could just be media putting 2 and 2 together and getting 5. Would be ironic if you were overlooked for the leader role and then you prove them right.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Taking he and Hunter Clark prior to Naughton has to still burn. They had two cracks at it!

Not sure about Coffield, Clark I like as a player though.
    Clark has a terminal case of Jesse White Syndrome. Looks like the biggest gun to ever exist but can’t really actually play. I can see why you’d burn a top 10 pick (maybe you did your recruiting research solely on google images) but they couldn’t be happy with their return so far.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

16. Likes Grantysghost, jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Clark has a terminal case of Jesse White Syndrome. Looks like the biggest gun to ever exist but can’t really actually play. I can see why you’d burn a top 10 pick (maybe you did your recruiting research solely on google images) but they couldn’t be happy with their return so far.
    Jesse White haha - there's a blast from ze past.

If Clark gets a run at it without getting his head caved in he might be ok.

Post Thanks / Like

The Tigers have passed on Narkle.

Signed a forward who has dominated in the Ovens and Murray league, Kaelan Bradtke as a rookie.

Do we think Narkle is worth pursuing?

Tigers sign country star, knock back former Cat - https://www.afl.com.au/news/874909

Post Thanks / Like

I see that Kaelan Bradtke has joined Richmond via the SSP.
    Quinton Narkle misses out.

The deadline is tomorrow.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"