Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  11
    Post Thanks / Like

“Absolute star, incredible, amazing”: Superlatives flow for promising Bulldog

“Absolute star, incredible, amazing”: Superlatives flow for promising Bulldog

By Andrew Slevison a day ago

Western Bulldogs defender Ryan Gardner could not be more effusive in his praise for young teammate Sam Darcy.
    Darcy, 19, has already turned heads in his short career to date, winning plaudits for his performances as an intercept defender across his first four AFL games which came late last season.

Another to join the growing list of Darcy enthusiasts is fellow backman Gardner who had superlatives flowing when asked about the father-son pick 2 from the 2021 draft.

“I think he’s going to be an absolute gun,” Gardner said on SEN’s The Run Home.
    “Even just what he does at the moment, if the ball gets kicked anywhere near him he just marks it.
    “He’s got extremely good skills, he’s a great kick for a tall guy, and he’s only young.
    “I can see him being an absolute star. Some of the things he does are incredible, especially only being in his second year.
    “We’ve had a couple of match sims already where he played down back and the ball has been kicked near him and he just marked everything. He’s racking up five or six intercept marks in a match sim that only goes for 40 minutes.”

Darcy won’t be pegged to solely a defensive role with Gardner predicting him to be used in each third of the ground given his athleticism and ability.

“He’s going to be an amazing player, especially when he puts a bit more size on,” Gardner gushed.
    “He’s so versatile you can play him everywhere. Forward, back, in the ruck when he gets a bit of size.
    “I just can’t see him being anything less than (all of) that.”

Joining Gardner, and Darcy to begin with, in defence for the Bulldogs in 2023 will be Liam Jones.
    The former Dog and Blue is back at the Whitten Oval and primed to bring his experience, professionalism and toughness back with him to the AFL landscape.

“Having Liam Jones down there, he’s super. He’s come into our club and had a massive impact straight away,” said Gardner.
    “He’s someone who has a lot of experience. Just the way he goes about his business at training, he’s such a professional and he goes really hard at it, I can tell you that.”

As for Gardner himself, he received a boost on Thursday when signing a new three-year deal with the Dogs.
    Having previously been delisted by Geelong in 2018, 25-year-old Gardner now knows not to take anything for granted when it comes to his footy career.

“I worked three different jobs. I was pouring pints at the Railway in Yarraville, I was working for a steam cleaner for a little bit there as well, and I was doing some pick packing at X Blades factory, just packing boots and sending them off while I was studying as well,” he said.
    “I definitely got a good perspective on what it was like not to be at an AFL club, and I was similar to a lot of guys who came out of school and who went straight to an AFL program. It was a real eye opener for me.
    “I think now I’m really into my study so just when I finish my footy I have something to fall back on.”

Gardner, Darcy, Jones and the Dogs are preparing for an intra-club practice match in Ballarat on February 25 before meeting North Melbourne on March 4.
    They kick off the 2023 season proper against Melbourne at the MCG on March 18.

2. Thanks bornadog, josie, HOSE B ROMERO, Eastdog thanked for this post
    Likes WBFC4FFC, Dry Rot, Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: “Absolute star, incredible, amazing”: Superlatives flow for promising Bulldog

Slightly off topic (sorry all) but I couldn't help noticing what Ryan thinks of Liam Jones's training efforts. "Just the way he goes about his business at training, he’s such a professional and he goes really hard at it, I can tell you that.”

What was his attitude to training in his first stint at the 'Dogs ? Or is this something he learned, or developed at the Blues ?
    The truth will set you free,
    but first it will piss you off. ... Gloria Steinem.

4. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: “Absolute star, incredible, amazing”: Superlatives flow for promising Bulldog

It’s an interesting comparison isn’t it. Sam with his blue blood pedigree, high draft position and huge expectations. Ryan who so nearly didn’t get even one game, (and what a shaky debut it was), has been the butt of jokes and ridicule, and only now with the patience of his coaches and his own determination, slowly showing what he can do. His highlight package is full of spoils, not speckies. There is a place for both of them in our hearts and in our team.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

6. Likes HOSE B ROMERO, Bulldog Joe, Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

No pressure, Darce.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    No pressure, Darce.
    Yep, kid's played like 3 or 4 games and is already being anointed as the 2nd coming.... not ideal.

Ryan needs a little coaching on how to level off the expectations of his teammates.

Post Thanks / Like

Obviously the players are as excited as me when the look as young Darce! It's hard not to be.
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Yep, kid's played like 3 or 4 games and is already being anointed as the 2nd coming.... not ideal.

Ryan needs a little coaching on how to level off the expectations of his teammates.
    I found it refreshing.

I'm tired of the media-trained AFL players. NBA player interviews are far more interesting because they aren't as censored.

I can understand the thinking behind tempering expectations and trying not to put too much pressure on young players, but at the same time, there needs to be a balance with 'keeping it fun and exciting' and not so robotic. I'm sure young Darce would appreciate Gardy's comments more than he fears them.
    W00F!

Post Thanks / Like

Surely not the second coming. JC would not get a game.

As there been anyone ever with his skill set at that height.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

I thought it was fine, it was bloke gushing I used to do it with Tyson Lane when he took marks over me (when we were team mates).
    Best player I've ever seen!

Wait....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    As there been anyone ever with his skill set at that height.
    Never forget.

Post Thanks / Like

Are we expecting too much from this kid in 2023?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    To be honest he will be great when he plays but I am expecting a few weeks out with soft tissue injuries as he builds up .
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I’m not sure any of us are really expecting anything are we? Not this year. I mean, outside of “he could be anything” the next most frequent comment is “where do we play him this year?”.

I’m not sure our success or otherwise depends on Darcy this season and don’t think too many people actually expect him to be the difference maker just yet. But then again… there’s always that hope that he may just come on a bit quicker than expected and then we’re in for a hell of a ride in ‘23!

Post Thanks / Like

No issues with the expectation Darcy will be the best player from his draft