Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  10

View Poll Results: 4-goals to the good...what do you do??

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Nothing - the boys will work it out.

1 6.67%
  • React NOW: Drop a winger back and get some more half-back cover.

0 0%
  • React NOW: Naughton Back - treat it as a last 5 minute emergency!

3 20.00%
  • React NOW: Forward line isn't "RIGHT" - change personnel/tall-small mix

5 33.33%
  • Wait and See: Maybe this is just a moment but alert the line coaches..

6 40.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

You're the Coach: Question #3

What a couple of weeks. You have engineered a last minute fightback with the move forward of Bailey Dale (2-weeks ago) and last week...well, what a win. After being credited by the players for a 'positive and inspirational' 1/4 time address, your 'Dogs came storming back from 6-goals down at quarter time to win by 26 points going away...the game really was beyond doubt from the time you hit the front right on the 3/4 time siren with a mark/goal to Josh Bruce - matched up against the inexperienced De Koning who looked both over-matched and out of ideas.

So - on to our next game.

It is 10-minutes into the 2nd quarter against the Saints and your team is 4-goals to the good. The numbers all 'look' OK but you just have a feeling that something isn't right. St Kilda kick a goal from an intercept deep inside your forward 50m - it is a 2-minute passage of structured play where they control the ball and methodically work it down the field. From the ensuing CBD, again you go forward - only for another Saints intercept and ANOTHER period of control by the Saints...they don't score this time but 'something' is not right.

What do you do???
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

2. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: You're the Coach: Question #3

Be content in the knowledge that a Ross Lyon coached team can’t score enough over the rest of the game to make up the difference?
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

4. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Be content in the knowledge that a Ross Lyon coached team can’t score enough over the rest of the game to make up the difference?

Post Thanks / Like

Naughton back - shore things up until half time.

That - or wheel out Gia as a mercenary to take someone out.

7. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I voted to wait and see and alert the line coaches. I would expect the leadership group to sort things out as it is not panic stations yet.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I voted to wait and see and alert the line coaches. I would expect the leadership group to sort things out as it is not panic stations yet.
    Same for me MJP.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like the Freo final or 2021 GF scenario. Forward line not right. Act to stop this. Switch lead patterns and get more separation. Lower heads when kicking inside or if under too much pressure grub kicks to designated spot for smalls to react and run to.

11. Likes mjp liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

These are terrific threads - thanks MJP! Playing out my Rocket Eade fantasy.

Agree with Meenies that I'd be making a move forward of the footy. I'd rather a proactive than a reactive coach and they're paid the big bucks to steer the ship - if the captain's intuition says iceberg ahead, I'd want them to change course.

Sounds like we're winning the midfield battle and our defense is holding up, so the issue is our forward half. Reckon you could 'go small' for 10 minutes - Weightman and Bont out of the square with JJ and Laith nipping around - with instructions going out to the mids to lower the eyes and have some composure with the footy. Potentially Dale comes up to the wing as a handball receive merchant. Give their defenders a different look for a while.

Could also go the other way and send someone like big Darcy down there to jump for everything with the instruction going out to the other key forwards to have a cup of concrete and bring it to ground. JJ, Laith and Rhylee getting busy on the deck.

Reckon the decision would depend on what your 22 looks like and how you've structured up in terms of talls and smalls.

13. Likes mjp, Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Does that ever happen in-game?

We are very much a ''momentum team''... when all is going well, we look fantastic, however when the momentum shifts, we seem unable to stem the flow.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Does that ever happen in-game?

We are very much a ''momentum team''... when all is going well, we look fantastic, however when the momentum shifts, we seem unable to stem the flow.
    Expectation and reality does not always align, but that is what should happen.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

.....but I wouldn't wait too long. Another intercept and goal and I'd tag the interceptor, change our avenue of attack, [angles and all that stuff], likely make my pet move of precision Dale to the wing as per Question 1 & 2, and wait and see if that works. It does! Saints lose that momentum, we recover and win by 4 goals.

17. Likes mjp liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Honestly I have no idea. I coach u/12s but it seems we've lost shape and need to slow down our i50s or kick really deep to Naughts and Lobb.

I'd go more accountable man on man footy we're pressing or zoning too hard and they're killing us in transition and the players have lost their shape. Work harder defensively, pressure has dropped off. When we get it slow it down. Message out to Bont and Duryea.

Who's running it out of defence for them they need to be dealt with. If it's a HBFlanker JJ or VDM need to shut them down. If it's a mid McLean needs to shut them down. Runner out to JJ / VDM or McLean for a negating role until we start rolling again.

I50s either slow them down, be patient for the lead up (Marra / Flea) or go long to Lobb and Naughts in the square, try to get some contests going and make their key backs accountable. Runner out to Naughton as a leader.

We need to slow the pace of the game and stop the rot otherwise they'll have 4 goals in 10 minutes and all our hard work in the first quarter has been pissed against the wall. Runner out to Bont.

We've seen this happen to us before we can't sit on our hands but perhaps a few subtle tweaks we don't need to start throwing players to opposite ends of the ground and we need to do more than nothing.

It will swing back to us but we need to get our hands dirty for 10 minutes

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Honestly I have no idea. I coach u/12s but it seems we've lost shape and need to slow down our i50s or kick really deep to Naughts and Lobb.
    I'm just going to challenge you on this part.
    We've entered F50 from a CBD. Hard to slow our inside 50m down from there.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

20. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    I'm just going to challenge you on this part.
    We've entered F50 from a CBD. Hard to slow our inside 50m down from there.
    Ok let's clear it out a bit then. We need to try isolate who is taking these intercepts by dragging them away from the drop of the ball. Whoever it is we need to push our opposing player higher and kick deeper. Playing body on body with an elbow in the ribs against their intercept player wouldn't hurt either!

Post Thanks / Like

This seems the most straight forward of the hypotheticals so far - the 'something' that's not right seems to be our forward line, as we have allowed two intercepts.

It might not be changing the players, but just reinforcing their roles - whoever is playing on the interceptor needs to get out of there and give Naughton space. Look for the leads of Lobb and Marra. Smalls need to be ferocious with their pressure and smart with their positioning - when our talks create a contest, we must be there to AT WORST create a forward 50 stoppage.

Winger back - I don't see the need. It sounds like our zone is actually holding up alright. Sure they have controlled the footy, but from a small sample size they are 50/50 on actually working it through.

Naughton back - plays in to their hands. It sounds like we are on top around the footy, and have just given up some intercepts and handed it back to them. Naughton must stay forward to create a contest, or even better be a decoy while we hit up our leading players.

Wait and see - I don't like it. I think at the least you need to refresh some tired legs, or send the message out to tighten up and not allow anymore intercepts. Also pump up how well the zone is working at holding them back.

23. Likes GVGjr, lemmon liked this post