Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  11
    Post Thanks / Like

Bontempelli remains Bulldogs skipper

Bontempelli remains Bulldogs skipper

Marcus Bontempelli will continue to serve as Western Bulldogs captain as part of an unchanged leadership group in 2023.

The four-time Charles Sutton Medallist was first elevated to skipper at the beginning of the 2020 season, captaining 66 games across three seasons.

The 27-year-old claimed the AFLPA’s Best Captain award in 2021 and was named All Australian vice-captain that same year.

Alongside Bontempelli sits vice-captain Jack Macrae for a second season, with leadership group members Taylor Duryea, Caleb Daniel and Aaron Naughton.

“It continues to be such an honour captaining this Club and I am really excited about what is next for this group,” Bontempelli said

“To be trusted again by the playing group and staff is something I won’t take for granted, while having guys of Jacko, Doc, CD and Naughty’s calibre is important in terms of building cohesion and continuing to search for sustained success.”

“From a club point of view, we value contributions from the entire playing group and encourage individuals to bring their own leadership qualities to collectively add connection throughout the 2023 season.”

“There is a positive energy around our football program at the moment and it’s a privilege to lead this team for another season.”

Three-time All-Australian Macrae was first included in the leadership group as vice-captain in 2022, playing 208 games and kicking 47 goals.

2. Thanks Eastdog thanked for this post
    Likes bornadog, ratsmac liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bontempelli remains Bulldogs skipper

The club is in great hands.

4. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Was there ever any doubt
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

No mention of The Beard making it's debut in the leadership group? I would argue it's a very important addition
    Wake me up when we get to heaven, let me sleep if we're going to hell

Good luck, for your sake I hope heaven and hell are really there, but I wouldn't hold my breath

And we all found heaven - 2016 Premiers!

7. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Outstanding group!

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, the club is in great hands. The Bont to take the reins again with outstanding support around him. It's great to be spoiled with choice. There were times in the past years where I was worried where our next good captain would come from. I look at some other clubs like the bumbers and think geewiz, I'm glad Dyson Heppell isn't our first choice!
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

10. Likes Bumper Bulldogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Speaks volumes about Doc that he comes over from another club and ends up spending a couple of years in our leadership group.

He's really underrated.
    W00F!

12. Likes GVGjr, Bullies, azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    Speaks volumes about Doc that he comes over from another club and ends up spending a couple of years in our leadership group.

He's really underrated.
    He fitted in very well on and off the field. Great communicator and organizes our back line.
    Picking experienced players from others sides that can come in add so much in a variety of ways can be great for the club.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

14. Likes The Bulldogs Bite, Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    He fitted in very well on and off the field. Great communicator and organizes our back line.
    Picking experienced players from others sides that can come in add so much in a variety of ways can be great for the club.
    I remember watching him down Ballarat and standing on the outer wing and you could hear him yelling non stop who needs to go and when. At ball ups and throw ins telling guys where to stand and who to man. He is the General down back and it is no surprise we lose our shape down there when he is not playing.

16. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bullies View Post
    I remember watching him down Ballarat and standing on the outer wing and you could hear him yelling non stop who needs to go and when. At ball ups and throw ins telling guys where to stand and who to man. He is the General down back and it is no surprise we lose our shape down there when he is not playing.
    Ballarat games are great for getting a bit closer to what happens on the ground.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"