Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  11
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

You're the Coach: Question #4

Your record is 3-0 after what turned into a bit of a cake walk vs the Saints last week...they threatened during the 2nd quarter but your players drove a response - who said all of that leadership training doesn't pay off?? - and the game turned into a 41-point win that someone left all of the supporters unhappy. Sheesh - what to those guys want? As for the media, well...

Things haven't been smooth sailing though and off-field you think some cracks are appearing. There seems to be a bit of angst between a couple of leadership group members and you can't help but think that 'something' has happened between Caleb Daniel and Aaron Naughton. No-one is talking...but at the same time you can just 'TELL' something is up. You've already had both players in your office for a chat and they both 'swear' everything is alright but you just can't shake this feeling.
    ========

No poll for this one - just want to hear some suggestions on what the next steps are??
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

2. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: You're the Coach: Question #4

Push their heads together and make them kiss like dolls

4. Thanks Go_Dogs thanked for this post
    Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ask Bont to talk to them and try and see if there is anything in it. The captain needs to show leadership and resolve this one.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

6. Likes josie, MrMahatma liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Nothing. Workplace tiffs happen - if it's not affecting performance and my boss has already had a chat with me about it, I'd want that to be respected.

8. Likes Go_Dogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Do zero investigating, assume it’s Caleb’s fault and trade him to Port at the end of the year.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

10. Thanks Go_Dogs thanked for this post
    Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Do zero investigating, assume it’s Caleb’s fault and trade him to Port at the end of the year.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I think if a conversation has been held and the players are comfortable, then play on. Given they’re both members of the leadership team you have to back them (and the balance of that group) in. Maybe getting the balance of the group and perhaps someone like a Libba who would have good sway and informal leadership to keep ensuring everyone is pulling together consistently.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm with Go-dogs except for the Libba bit, and lemmon. I had a similar issue when I was working, chatted with the two involved who said alls well and the issue faded. Sometimes just an open chat dissolves issues.

Post Thanks / Like

I think you chat to your captain/leadership group to ask them to monitor the situation, and escalate it back to you if needed.

If it gets escalated back to you, you get the involved parties into a meeting together and hash it out.

Post Thanks / Like

You take them at their word but you ask the captain and VC to let you know why there seems to be angst amongst two of the other leaders. I'd also explain to Bont and Macrae how angst in the group can derail a season if it's allowed to fester and I'd ask them to think back to 2017.

It's a fine line between being proactive and making what could be a minor problem worse.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, not everyone has to be best mates. I'd loop Bont into my thinking and tell him to keep an eye on it, but not take it any further if both have said it's all good.

If something material happened, I'd have them both in the same room at the same time and call it out.

Post Thanks / Like

Speak their missos they'll know what's going on.

Post Thanks / Like

Call a junior member of the squad in for a chat and ask them what is going on. Use their naivity/willingness to please as a means of gathering necessary information, buttering them up by getting them to train with the main squad rather than the VFL squad for the up coming matches.

Assess the information and then determine whether you need to have a chat to Naughts and Caleb direct or mention to Bont/Macrae what has been going on.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Push their heads together and make them kiss like dolls
    Sam Mitchell doesn't coach the Bulldogs.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

20. Thanks hujsh thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Trust them, reiterate how important they both are in working together for the betterment of their team mates, and explicitly tell them it's their responsibility to demonstrate their professionalism as leaders to get the best out of themselves and others.

Watch them like hawks.

If they agree to the above keep them accountable to it if they **** up.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.