Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  9
    Post Thanks / Like

The “real hole” the bulldogs must fill to contend this season

THE “REAL HOLE” THE BULLDOGS MUST FILL TO CONTEND THIS SEASON

BY JACK MAKEHAM

David King has outlined the one missing piece that the Bulldogs need to find for the club to be a premiership contender this season.

The Bulldogs are coming into 2023 with high expectations, looking to make their third Grand Final appearance under Luke Beveridge.

However, King has pointed out that the lack of a dominant intercept defender is a gaping hole in this current Bulldogs squad.

“They’ve got to find a way to disrupt the opposition moving the ball, they didn’t have a player inside the AFL top 40 for intercepting last year, not one,” King said on SEN Breakfast.

“Sam Taylor was number one, James Sicily number two, Darcy Moore number three, Tom Stewart number four, Patty McCartin at Sydney, Jeremy Howe.

“That’s what we’re talking, that level of player, that level of influence.”

With the Bulldogs making the move to acquire veteran defender Liam Jones in the off-season to help fill this role, King believes the Bulldogs are capable of remedying this issue.

“I just wonder if there’s some structural work needs to be done, clearly that intercepting player needs to be found and realised by the Dogs pretty quick, just can’t be Ed Richards or bust,” he said.

“That’s a real hole, that’s a real flaw, everyone just says Liam Jones will come in and that’s what he’ll do.

“This is the first time that Luke Beveridge has had tall options to play with, so that’s exciting if you’re a Dogs fan.”

Kane Cornes also sees Jones as the short-term solution for the Bulldogs, however is looking more to the future with Sam Darcy running things down back.

“I wonder if Liam Jones can be that player, and Darcy is probably not ready to be that yet but there wouldn’t be a player in the league that you could be more excited about than Sam Darcy with his capabilities,” he said.

“That’s a big stat, if you play finals and you don’t have one player in the top 40 as an interceptor, that’s a big stat.”

Despite acknowledging this flaw, Cornes can’t help but be enamoured with the overall strength of the Bulldogs.

“They’ve just got talent everywhere though, I keep coming back to (the belief that) talent will win you games of footy,” he said.

“(Aaron) Naughton could explode this year, if (Jamarra) Ugle-Hagan can stand up, and if (Rory) Lobb can stand up to an extent, Aaron Naughton could be the big beneficiary of that. I really enjoy the way he plays his football, he kicked 51 goals last year, that could go to 70 this year.

“They’ve got everything the Western Bulldogs for me, finish top four in the home and away season and make a prelim final is a pass mark.”

The Bulldogs will have a tough task on their hands in their opening round fixture, taking on Melbourne in a replay of the 2021 Grand Final.

2. Thanks bornadog, BornInDroopSt'54 thanked for this post
    Likes Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The “real hole” the bulldogs must fill to contend this season

I was having a look at the stats for these during the week. The most interesting part for me was that I saw English as someone we need to get more intercepts out of (ranked 137 in league) but he is actually leading the league in intercepts for rucks.

In 2021 we had Keath at 26 (41 last year) and Williams at 31. Liam Jones was ranked at 5.

4. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Keath and Jones will get us enough interceptions. Gardner might help. Im not concerned.

6. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Gardner rarely marks the ball. Keath was a very good intercept player at the Crows. It remains to be seen whether he can still be that player. Can we play Keath, Gardner and Jones in the backline? Is it too top heavy? And do Darcy's opportunities dry up if we do?

Post Thanks / Like

This is a dumb article because we got literally the best player available to address this weakness.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

9. Likes manutd/dogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Gardner rarely marks the ball. Keath was a very good intercept player at the Crows. It remains to be seen whether he can still be that player. Can we play Keath, Gardner and Jones in the backline? Is it too top heavy? And do Darcy's opportunities dry up if we do?
    IMO, Gards has improved noticeably each year, and while he's not still a big marker of the ball, he took significantly more marks last year, plus he is getting continually better with his judgement of the ball in the air. If his confidence continues to grow and he keeps following the same trajectory, I'm confident he'll be able to step into Keath's shoes in a few years.

Post Thanks / Like

Jones & Gardner as the KPDs, Keath to be released as the intercept player. He won a showdown medal playing that exact role.
    Slimmed down and has looked good this pre-season so he looks like he deserves first crack
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

12. Likes azabob, GVGjr, bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think it has more to do with getting continuity in the backline. Hopefully we have a better run with injuries this year and the backline will be more settled. Jones will make a big difference

14. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We are a hard team to predict

We've lost a key midfield rotation guy in Dunkley and our most credentialed Winger in Hunter

We've added a veteran big whose had a year off in Jones

We're going to play a bigger side than ever before under Beveridge - Lobb, Naughton, Jamara, Jones, Gardner, Keath etc with Darcy and Bruce also on the list

I dont think the commentators know what to make of us, apart from knowing that if Bont and Naughton are in great form, then we are tough

16. Likes macca liked this post