Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  11
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

You're the Coach: Question #6

You have the magic touch - you are the MAGIC MAN.

Brisbane came at you hard a couple of weeks back but by 3/4 time the game was done - your mids and half backs absolutely strangled them - aside from that 5 minute burst in the second - and the end result was a dominating (if somewhat less than overwhelming) 27 point win. Inside 50's were +16, clearances +21 and scoring shots +12....possessions an other-worldly +132 and if there are any concerns right now, well, they would be related to how such possession dominance is not being reflected by MASSIVE wins.

Well, that's not exactly true. Your recruit Rory Lobb hasn't had a touch for two weeks - hasn't gotten close to it - and his woes are no doubt contributing to the overall score-board trevails. AND there is the issue with Duryea (concussion protocol) and Gardner is on a watch-list for his ankle - the doc is talking a syndesmosis injury and that MIGHT be 6-8 weeks...and those two have been your most reliable defenders. I guess Josh Bruce got a few touches in the VFL but most of them came after half-time when he was swung forward...O'Brien is available but...

THEN there is the 'real' problem that needs addressing. English has been playing well but is battling a sore knee - some tenonitis that the Doc says he can 'play through' but some weeks are going to be better than others...and vs Brisbane he could hardly jump at all. The Doc also says that even if he takes a month off it might not be long enough to resolve it...it might - but it might not. So - does he keep playing, do you need to bring in Sweet...what's the plan??

Basically, there's a lot going on. So let's here it:

: English problem.
    : Gardner problem.
    : Duryea problem.
    : Lobb problem.
    : Inside-50 ==> Goal ratio problem.

Oh - and this week's game is on THURSDAY against an Adelaide side that has (to everyone's surprise) won 3-in-a-row...so whatever you're gonna do, do it QUICK.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: You're the Coach: Question #6

Don’t play injured players if it comprises their well-being or exacerbates their ability to recover eg.a 4 week recovery blows out to 8 if they play on

Sweet in for English
    O’Brien in for Gardener (I didn’t think O’Brien was as bad as most thought last year and if Keath & Jones are doing ok it eases pressure on him a bit)
    Cleary/Gallagher/Crozier/Buku (or whomever we’ve been grooming as a lockdown defender for opposing small forwards) for Duryea
    If it’s an effort issue with Lobb bring in Bruce, otherwise back Lobb in to turn it around

3. Likes mjp liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You better believe Lobb is going in the ruck.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

5. Likes bornadog, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    You better believe Lobb is going in the ruck.

7. Thanks jeemak thanked for this post
    Likes mjp, jazzadogs, josie, MrMahatma liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    But actually though. The thing about paddling for the school rowing team is it actually is a paddling and a lot of people forget that.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

9. Likes hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Rest English - its a long season - bring in Sweet
    Give Bruce first dibs to replace Gardy
    Doc is harder to replace, so maybe look at the matchups and see who he would have played on and whether there is anyone who could be a better match up rather than just doing a positional play.

11. Likes mjp liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Start Lobb at CB in ruck.

Then he pushes forward and a mid rucks around the ground.

4 headed monster.

Duryea easy replacement Cleary or someone.

Gards bring in whomever is playing better in the twos out of Bruce and TOB.

4. Win.

Post Thanks / Like

I've dealt with knee tendonitis and 1 week off will do absolutely zero for Timmy. Get him on the single leg slang board squats to mitigate the pain a bit week to week. He plays through as there's virtually no chance for damage.

Lobb to the VFL for a week - selection integrity matters.
    Sweet takes the centre square bounces and 60-70 of rich time. Timmy plays close to goal and no 2 ruck.

Keath and Jones as KPDs, TOB as intercept.

Is JJ fit? Crows are flush for small forwards but they're attack first, defend second types.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

14. Thanks josie thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    I've dealt with knee tendonitis and 1 week off will do absolutely zero for Timmy. Get him on the single leg slang board squats to mitigate the pain a bit week to week. He plays through as there's virtually no chance for damage.

Lobb to the VFL for a week - selection integrity matters.
    Sweet takes the centre square bounces and 60-70 of rich time. Timmy plays close to goal and no 2 ruck.
    I am so down with this plan...love the way you have thought it through.

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Is JJ fit? Crows are flush for small forwards but they're attack first, defend second types.
    You can make the call on JJ as you're the coach and I didn't mention him. But I guess you're saying you're sending him back to cover for Doc??

Is anyone going to address the possession ==> scoring question 'cos I have a feeling you are going to need to address that.

It isn't just about moving magnets around.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Basically, there's a lot going on.

: short turn around
    : English problem.
    : Gardner problem.
    : Duryea problem.
    : Lobb problem.
    : Inside-50 ==> Goal ratio problem.
    Rest English. 4 day turn around as well as going to Adelaide.
    In Sweet.
    Darcy is already in. Plays back.
    Extra smallish player in for Gardner.
    Not too concerned with Lobb yet.
    Sounds like the forwards not leading in own patterns; chemistry not there yet;
    delivery inside is 2022 style - going backwards, chipping sideways, taking time moving forward - so maybe the feeders are not following game plan yet - plan on; kick low darts; "use legs" (Rowan Smith's favourite words); not enough communication by the next person in the chain.
    I liked Gallagher and Crosier is the match sims I have seen. They have been solid in VFA. One of them to replace Duryea. Preference Gallagher as Bevo likes taking a new kid on a road trip and not being the sub first up. Maybe Cros as Sub.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by meenies View Post
    Sounds like the forwards not leading in own patterns; chemistry not there yet;
    delivery inside is 2022 style - going backwards, chipping sideways, taking time moving forward - so maybe the feeders are not following game plan yet - plan on; kick low darts; "use legs" (Rowan Smith's favourite words); not enough communication by the next person in the chain.
    So...that sounds like you've defined the problem.

And identified a potential solution.

Now what do you DO???

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    So...that sounds like you've defined the problem.

And identified a potential solution.

Now what do you DO???
    Short week - so maybe one day of recovery and review the previous match/mistakes. Break down the game plan needs to be followed. Coaches to discuss if game plan too complex or some players not executing the plan - maybe under too much pressure to, not sure of how to execute it, know what to do but just not following directions (approach these individually), or other reasons.
    One day of practice - concentrate on game plan simulation.

Post Thanks / Like

English out Bruce to FF and Lobb in the ruck.
    Duryea out Scott to small defender
    Gardner out Darcy back as cover.

Sink or swim boys there is no plan B.

Sweet is a non-event if Lobb is fit.

Post Thanks / Like

So, our mids and half backs absolutely strangled them and Inside 50's were +16, clearances +21 and scoring shots +12! So whats the problem? Typical bulldog stats. No problem. Winning. Crows won 3, just, but beat noone and havent won 4 in a row for years. Tim's sore, rest him for a cuppla weeks or so as per doc.. Lobb not performing forward - he gets Tims ruck spot interchanging with Sweet. [If he fails again out]. Gardner sore, rest him too. Darcy in for Gardner. Crozier = clone for Duryea.

21. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    English out Bruce to FF and Lobb in the ruck.
    Duryea out Scott to small defender
    Gardner out Darcy back as cover.

Sink or swim boys there is no plan B.

Sweet is a non-event if Lobb is fit.
    If Sweet can be effective in the ruck it will allow us to continue to play Lobb as a forward which is where he’ll the most benefit to the team… and it’s why we recruited him,