Re: Why the Bulldogs will take a tumble in 2023

I wish somebody could delete this article it’s so negative

2. Thanks Grantysghost thanked for this post
    Likes Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogfan View Post
    I wish somebody could delete this article it’s so negative
    Don't worry about it as it can create interesting debate.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Yeah come on now, Dunkley might be a milquetoast loser but he’s a complete stud and we don’t have anyone close to covering him.

For a team whose biggest failings have come in being unable to stop teams scoring in volume, losing an (and our only tbh) elite two-way mid is potentially devastating. Not to mention his phenomenal offensive contested game and high quality work as a resting forward.
    Yes I had to look up milquetoast. I'm borrowing that one !

5. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Ummm - they are over here.

Been a lot of criticism of Freo and how they have gone about it in Perth. I think Freo have tried to 'hold' short-term whilst trying to improve for the long-term (Jackson)...but they have seriously compromised both their best 22 (Acres - better than he's given credit for) and depth (Logue, Tucker, Meek). I think best case for them now is (ladder position) 6-8 - and they can sell that - but if it turns into 10-12, well...it's going to be a hard sell (particularly if West Coast continue to suck).
    Couldnt help but think that this article and post relate strongly to what you are arguing here:

https://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/fr...8f2f64ef30e0bf

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Revolution View Post
    Couldnt help but think that this article and post relate strongly to what you are arguing here:

https://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/fr...8f2f64ef30e0bf
    Found this part interesting:

Longmuir, however, said he never expected Lobb — the Dockers’ leading goalkicker last year — to stay with Fremantle beyond 2022, despite being contracted until the end of 2023 season.

“We held Rory to a contract last year and he never firmly committed to us as a club, so I don‘t think that (selling a bigger picture) really applies to him,” Longmuir said.

Not sure what Longmuir expects of Lobb when you're actively seeking to trade-in a player in (Jackson) who effectively plays the exact same role??

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    I get the worry but he really couldn’t have been more reassuring in that practice match. In choppy conditions he still got 90m onto a lot of possession chains, which is his whole deal at his best.

I’m more worried (for the first half of 2023 anyway) about Barry. His disposal is as unpolished as ever and his pre-season has been every bit as limited. Concerned he’s gonna take a month or two to knock the rust off and given our early draw it’s a luxury we can’t afford.
    I get the worry too Happy but it is only anxiety.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Revolution View Post
    Not sure why the narrative is we will be crap.

Interesting.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Not sure why the narrative is we will be crap.

Interesting.
    We looked like pretenders who were lucky to make the 8 (objectively true) last year against Freo. Then on paper we lost Hunter and Dunkley.

AFL players aren't really AFL watchers though so aside from their matchday prep there's a decent chance they don't really think about it any deeper than that. Did they think about Lobb's value as a target inside 50 and as the other ruckman (that tap to Bont for a goal last week was a sight for sore eyes)? Do they know how good Liam Jones is looking? Do they then consider the impact of those players joining vs the loss of Dunkley in position we're stacked in and Hunter who has barely played since 2020? probably not. They probably just see Lobb and Jones as older and maybe worse on paper.

These are things we as supporters look at and think about but I doubt Patrick Dangerfield really bothers himself with outside of his professional commitments.

12. Likes Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I hope history repeats itself but Melbourne went from an incredibly disappointing and underachieving 2020 to a flag in 2021 off the back of a blistering pre-season and a game plan change away from their inside midfield bees to the honeypot. Serious track watchers here and in the media are suggesting we've had a very good pre-season and have implemented game plan changes to maximise our strengths and minimise exposure to our weaknesses. The list balance appears to be better even though we've lost a bonafide stud in Dunkley and an elite runner in Hunter (who was cooked with us last year to be fair). Super early days but Liam Jones is looking an astute pick-up as is Rory Lobb. Even Oskar Baker seems to have impressed as a potential wing replacement for Hunter.

The above is prefaced with the fact that I've watched absolutely no footy since the 2022 PF's (didn't even watch the GF as I was holidaying in Greece. Did it actually happen? Did Selwood and Danger really have their fap-a-thon coronation?)
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

14. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    We looked like pretenders who were lucky to make the 8 (objectively true) last year against Freo. Then on paper we lost Hunter and Dunkley.

AFL players aren't really AFL watchers though so aside from their matchday prep there's a decent chance they don't really think about it any deeper than that. Did they think about Lobb's value as a target inside 50 and as the other ruckman (that tap to Bont for a goal last week was a sight for sore eyes)? Do they know how good Liam Jones is looking? Do they then consider the impact of those players joining vs the loss of Dunkley in position we're stacked in and Hunter who has barely played since 2020? probably not. They probably just see Lobb and Jones as older and maybe worse on paper.

These are things we as supporters look at and think about but I doubt Patrick Dangerfield really bothers himself with outside of his professional commitments.
    Yes probably true. The GF* capitulation also, our last two finals have been abysmal.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Yes probably true. The GF* capitulation also, our last two finals have been abysmal.
    On the positive we were way ahead in the last two finals - so got to make sure we keep it rolling and don't stop.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post

The recruiting of Lobb Jones and Baker are all positional needs that we have lacked particularly in our key defence area. We should expect improvement in players like Ugle- Hagen Darcy and Scott. Particularly like the move of Daniel into the midfield where his superior foot skills will improve our forward entries. The big query will be our leg speed as apart from Treloar Richards and Dale we are not quick. Feedback would indicate that Luke Beveridge is a lot more relaxed. I sense there will be greater harmony among the playing
    group with both Dunkley and Hunter moving on.

18. Likes GVGjr, WBFC4FFC liked this post