Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  86
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Why the Bulldogs will take a tumble in 2023

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    You could write this about any team. Melbourne's forwardline for example, losing Dogga to Freo etc.
    Their capitulation in both finals last year.

I wasn't aware that we had a cultural issue at the club and that it may trickle down to the players. Is there really something wrong? Getting rid of Stringer and Hunter were the right calls, they were toxic personalities, harsh but true. Dunkley went for money and Dahlhaus, who cares, he went home.

Surprised he didn't focus on Treloar wanting in, Lobb wanting in, Jones wanting to come back, Duryea wanting in and Alex Keath wanting in through those stages as well.

More importantly though are the signings. Our genuine superstars have bought into Bevo's message and are sticking together. Doesn't sound like something is rotten at the kennel at all.
    Don't forget Easternwests favourite player Suckling wanting in
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Don't forget Easternwests favourite player Suckling wanting in
    So close to signing Matthew Lobbe at the same times as Piggy too don't forget.

4. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    He's not wrong...

Plus, he used the word "Elucidating" - that's a 50-cent word in ANY article.

Yeah but he also typed the word "clicky" then merrily hit 'publish' with a clique of his trusty mouse.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

6. Likes jeemak, Grantysghost, bornadog, soupman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Whilst there is a lot of guess work in the article (about the culture) there are a couple of points that I sort of agree on:

1/ Mid-sized defenders - can/will they defend? I'm concerned about the ability of this group (Richards, Dale & Duryea) to defend.

2/ Tackling - our turnover game has been awful and losing our best tackler (Dunkley) doesn't help in this area. Hoping we defend the ground better in 2023.

And we do have a very tough start to the year... but if our attitude is right, we will be in the mix for a top 4 spot... but if its half arsed, and with the competition very even it could very easily be a tough year.
    I'm not as concerned about the mid sized defenders, but part of that relates to the major issue you raise of addressing the way we defend the ground,

I tend to think a lot of our defensive issues were a by-product of poor overall team defence

It is indeed a tough start - good goal kicking conversion early could get us off to a flyer

Quote Originally Posted by mjp

He's not wrong.

Cultural questions - we've all asked them. Dunks comments - we all wonder what the truth is about the culture and what is 'WRONG' ('cos it often looks like something is wrong). Bevo is a unique talent as a coach but he DOES do some things that drive all of us crazy - when I posted a thread about this with a poll the responses were many and varied. We ARE skinny for small defenders and goodness knows what's gonna happen if Doc is out for an extended time (and he's getting old so that is highly likely). We DO have a tough draw to start the season.

Hell - he could have added in "what are they thinking with that forward line", "Do they have any idea what they will get from Rory Lobb or Liam Jones", "Is Tim English EVER going to deliver on his promise in a game that matters" and "Is there any chance that Alex Keath returns to 2021 form 'cos they darn well need him". And on top of that, he could have added in the David King "They still don't have a true intercept player on their list" angle as well.

Plus, he used the word "Elucidating" - that's a 50-cent word in ANY article.

If you think we will slide, there are a lot of reasons why it could happen...
    Yeah, culture question worth asking/raising but some of the front end was a bit over indulged though on little real evidence - the coach might have his moments, but he has often got us to the finals, and has twice seen us have pretty magical Septembers

The player turnover was a longish bow the way written - but then maybe we can question why we haven't harnessed some of our less focused players?

8. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    So what do we reckon, was this written by ChatGPT or a primary schooler?
    I asked ChatGPT "Tell me why the Western Bulldogs will fail in 2023" and this is the response - which has some familiar themes!

As an AI language model, I cannot predict the future with certainty, but I can provide some possible reasons why the Western Bulldogs might not perform well in 2023:

Stronger competition: The Australian Football League (AFL) is highly competitive, and there are always teams that improve from season to season. The Western Bulldogs may struggle if they face tougher opponents in 2023.

Injuries: Injuries can have a significant impact on a team's performance, and if the Western Bulldogs experience a significant number of injuries to key players, they may struggle to maintain their form.

Internal conflicts: Any team can be affected by internal conflicts or discord, and if the Western Bulldogs experience such issues, it could impact their performance on the field.

Changes in coaching staff: The coaching staff plays a critical role in a team's success, and if the Western Bulldogs experience changes in their coaching staff, it may take time for the players to adjust to new strategies and tactics.

Loss of key players: The Western Bulldogs may struggle if they lose key players to injury or to other teams in the offseason. It can be challenging to replace a star player, and it may take time for the team to find a suitable replacement.

It's worth noting, however, that these are merely speculative reasons and that the Western Bulldogs have a strong team with experienced players and a solid track record. Ultimately, it's impossible to predict with certainty how they will perform in 2023.

10. Likes hujsh, Bulldog Revolution, jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Damn that’s actually pretty close.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    I asked ChatGPT "Tell me why the Western Bulldogs will fail in 2023" and this is the response - which has some familiar themes!

As an AI language model, I cannot predict the future with certainty, but I can provide some possible reasons why the Western Bulldogs might not perform well in 2023:

Stronger competition: The Australian Football League (AFL) is highly competitive, and there are always teams that improve from season to season. The Western Bulldogs may struggle if they face tougher opponents in 2023.

Injuries: Injuries can have a significant impact on a team's performance, and if the Western Bulldogs experience a significant number of injuries to key players, they may struggle to maintain their form.

Internal conflicts: Any team can be affected by internal conflicts or discord, and if the Western Bulldogs experience such issues, it could impact their performance on the field.

Changes in coaching staff: The coaching staff plays a critical role in a team's success, and if the Western Bulldogs experience changes in their coaching staff, it may take time for the players to adjust to new strategies and tactics.

Loss of key players: The Western Bulldogs may struggle if they lose key players to injury or to other teams in the offseason. It can be challenging to replace a star player, and it may take time for the team to find a suitable replacement.

It's worth noting, however, that these are merely speculative reasons and that the Western Bulldogs have a strong team with experienced players and a solid track record. Ultimately, it's impossible to predict with certainty how they will perform in 2023.
    It's like there's a template to express your theme.

Post Thanks / Like

Have I missed something in terms of Dunkley explicitly talking about the culture?

Was Dahlhaus a better player at his new club? Jake Stringer has certainly not been. He would have been on stronger ground if he mentioned Roughead’s departure.

While “elucidating” on Richmond’s better culture he mentions them laughing and hanging out together. Maybe a visit to Seddon on any weekday would show him that our guys do this on a regular basis. They can be clicky with the best of them! They go on holidays together, and the influence of Bont in helping younger teammates undertake extra training to succeed in the off season is often mentioned. What’s it like inside 4 walls? We don’t know, but neither does this “author.”

What does he mean by issues with Bevo’s “character”? Has he turned up drunk/stoned and incoherent at club functions, run off with a club physio, been investigated for off colour comments and behaviour towards a young female staffer, as other coaches (two of them premiership winners) have? Character is not the same as baffling selection tactics or grouchiness towards the media.

Maybe we’ll slip this year, maybe we won’t, we’re all occasionally anxious/bewildered by things we see, and we’re not immune from criticism. I have no idea what 2023 will be like but I doubt I’ll be returning to this article as a source of truth if things go pear shaped.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

14. Thanks BornInDroopSt'54 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post

On the other hand I asked why they will finish top 4. Stuffed up with Dunkley but here it is:

As an AI language model, I cannot predict the future, so I cannot say for certain that the Western Bulldogs will finish in the top 4 in 2023. However, I can provide some information about the team's current status and their chances of finishing in the top 4 based on past performance and analysis of the team's strengths.

The Western Bulldogs are a talented team with a strong track record of success in the AFL. They have a balanced squad with experienced players and emerging young talent, including Marcus Bontempelli, Josh Dunkley, and Aaron Naughton. The team also has a strong and experienced coaching staff, led by Luke Beveridge.

Here are some reasons why the Western Bulldogs may finish in the top 4 in 2023:

Strong midfield: The Western Bulldogs have a strong midfield, with Bontempelli, Dunkley, and Jack Macrae among the best in the league. They are capable of dominating the clearance battles and generating scoring opportunities for the team.

Defensive strength: The Western Bulldogs have a solid defense, led by Alex Keath and Caleb Daniel, which can limit the opposition's scoring opportunities and provide a solid foundation for the team's attacking play.

Emerging talent: The Western Bulldogs have several young players who are showing great potential, including Naughton, who is one of the most promising young forwards in the league. These players have the potential to provide a boost to the team's performance and help them finish in the top 4.

Experience: The Western Bulldogs have a squad with a good mix of experienced players and young talent, which gives them a balanced approach to the game. This experience will be valuable in pressure situations and can help them secure victories against tough opposition.

Overall, the Western Bulldogs have a good chance of finishing in the top 4 in 2023, but as with any sports team, there are many factors that could influence their success. Factors such as injuries, form, and opposition performance could all impact their performance, and it remains to be seen how they will fare in the coming season.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

However, I can offer some potential reasons why the Brisbane Lions might finish in the bottom 4 in 2023, which could result in the Western Bulldogs receiving a high draft pick:

Loss of Key Players: If the Brisbane Lions lose key players to injury, retirement, or transfer, it could weaken their squad and make it harder for them to compete at a high level.

Tough Schedule: If the Brisbane Lions have a difficult schedule and are matched up against strong opponents early in the season, it could set the tone for a challenging season.

Inconsistent Performance: If the Brisbane Lions struggle with inconsistency and are unable to string together wins, it could result in a downward spiral and a lower ladder finish.

Strong Competition: The competition in the AFL is always tough, and the other teams in the league could improve significantly in 2023, making it harder for the Brisbane Lions to compete at the top of the ladder.

New Coach: If the Brisbane Lions have a new coach who is still adjusting to the team and the league, it could take time for them to implement their strategies and get the team playing at its best.

If any of these factors come into play, it could result in the Brisbane Lions finishing in the bottom 4, and the Western Bulldogs receiving a higher draft pick as a result. However, it's important to note that these are just potential reasons and that many other factors could come into play that may affect the final outcome

17. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Clique does not equal click. Grammar in journalism of recent times is often poor.

IMO mostly a poor quality article.

Good points made by BAD and other woofers. I still like to read articles about dogs I might largely disagree with.

Journo (that’s an exaggeration) seems to have a beef with Bevo.

19. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Say what you like and it ranges from good points to conjecture, but it certainly covers most of my fears about the things that could go wrong in a worse case scenario.
    "You always own the option of having no opinion. There is never any need to get worked up or to trouble your soul about things you can't control. These things are not asking to be judged by you. Leave them alone" - Marcus Aurelius

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Underdog View Post
    Say what you like and it ranges from good points to conjecture, but it certainly covers most of my fears about the things that could go wrong in a worse case scenario.
    My biggest fear is our defensive system that broke down last year. This is our biggest concern. Yes we added Jones, but team defense breakdown can't happen again.

22. Likes F'scary liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This really is a stupid article
    A club that has Bont playing for them had not lost their best player. Dunkley benefited last year from Bont carrying injuries as well as numerous other players. Yes he had a good year but only a completely clueless journalist could think he can’t be covered.

24. Likes Eastdog, josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Legend View Post
    This really is a stupid article
    A club that has Bont playing for them had not lost their best player. Dunkley benefited last year from Bont carrying injuries as well as numerous other players. Yes he had a good year but only a completely clueless journalist could think he can’t be covered.
    Dunkley needed to have a good year it was in his best interest.