Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  9
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Danny/Boyd podcast - Easton Wood episode

This is a brilliant episode.

Wood’s description of his change in mindset at the end of 2013 AND the differences between b-Mac and bevo are compelling.

https://pca.st/episode/8a6fd058-76a9...6-d49709c5dd4a
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

2. Thanks hujsh, bornadog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Danny/Boyd podcast - Easton Wood episode

The defensive mindset difference was very interesting.
    I had no idea Woody's ankle was so bad at the end of 2016
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Love anything long that is this insightful. Kind of left me wanting more around the tactical changes from 2014 to 2015.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dog town View Post
    Love anything long that is this insightful. Kind of left me wanting more around the tactical changes from 2014 to 2015.
    It was pretty good huh!
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Listened this afternoon and really enjoyed it.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Woody always comes across as such a humble guy. Used to enjoy the podcast he did with Murph. Interesting to hear that he will be starting another podcast with the club in the coming months.

Post Thanks / Like

Looking forward to Danny and Tom's event at the comic's lounge this saturday arvo, reliving the 2016 final series.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HOSE B ROMERO View Post
    Looking forward to Danny and Tom's event at the comic's lounge this saturday arvo, reliving the 2016 final series.
    Would be interesting to attend.

I also hope we win another soon cause 7 years ago now.

10. Likes HOSE B ROMERO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I meant to show some appreciation for pointing this one out, excellent listening.

Thank you.

Another thing I found interesting was the despair in which the players talked about having to play VFL seconds, and it's fine post retirement to do so but I guess at the time it must be something the players keep a stiff upper lip over. Unless you're a Melbourne player of course.......

Easton is an amazing club story, coming from where he was, to Bevo arriving, and then captaining a premiership. It was the right time for us to have two genuinely empathetic players in he and Bob captaining a side and leaning on each other to get the best result for the club. Bigger egos, or at least different egos may not have been able to navigate the leadership and the potential for success as well as they did - and them doing so is one of the biggest inputs to our success.

I know an hour's a short time to cover things off, and I also understand timing of the season may have worked against it, but a more thorough breakdown of the 2021 finals and what went wrong in the Grand Final would be really interesting listening from Easton's perspective. It's a strange and hurtful chapter in our history full of highs and the ultimate low from a playing point of view that would be great to unpick a little.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I meant to show some appreciation for pointing this one out, excellent listening.

Thank you.

Another thing I found interesting was the despair in which the players talked about having to play VFL seconds, and it's fine post retirement to do so but I guess at the time it must be something the players keep a stiff upper lip over. Unless you're a Melbourne player of course.......

Easton is an amazing club story, coming from where he was, to Bevo arriving, and then captaining a premiership. It was the right time for us to have two genuinely empathetic players in he and Bob captaining a side and leaning on each other to get the best result for the club. Bigger egos, or at least different egos may not have been able to navigate the leadership and the potential for success as well as they did - and them doing so is one of the biggest inputs to our success.

I know an hour's a short time to cover things off, and I also understand timing of the season may have worked against it, but a more thorough breakdown of the 2021 finals and what went wrong in the Grand Final would be really interesting listening from Easton's perspective. It's a strange and hurtful chapter in our history full of highs and the ultimate low from a playing point of view that would be great to unpick a little.
    Good thing it's not an issue anymore, at least not with us and Footscray

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Good thing it's not an issue anymore, at least not with us and Footscray
    It'd be a tough ask to expect your players to appreciate reserve grade footy at a club not affiliated with your AFL club outside of being polite and putting in effort when there - but tough asks are part and parcel of life and learning the ropes so it should be highly encouraged (which for the most part as far as I can tell, it is). You're right, we are lucky we have Footscray now.

The Springvale footy club (Casey Demons) like all of the VFL/A (that played along) clubs were forced into partnerships they didn't really want to be forced into, but there just wasn't any choice for a second grade competition unless they marched to the beat of the AFL's drum. The choice was cease to exist (through "competitive forces"), or exist because we don't want to fork out for a genuine reserves competition. The latter was the obvious model, but it was cooked and AFL clubs moved away from it as quickly as they could.

I get they had their issues, but these clubs were valuable pillars of the community with extremely rich histories, and the AFL commoditised them or destroyed them and pushed the sport to ammo and outer suburban leagues. You can hang onto history if you want to, you can foster it and make it work for you. Is the AFL really better because it destroyed Victoria's traditional next best footy league?
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post

Wood’s description of his change in mindset at the end of 2013 AND the differences between b-Mac and bevo are compelling.

Thanks for sharing this.

Easton Wood was my favourite player. What a star he was. Some great insights in this.
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

Post Thanks / Like

I really struggle with one of the hosts and I can't even get through the opening intros.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post

Yeah that was great. The confidence we had going into each final in 2016 was also great to hear, particularly the bit where Wood states they were still confident early in the Hawthorn game and that we knew we had their measure. Great stuff.

Also, shout out to Chris Bell. I know he got a lot of stick on here pre-2016 but what he did to get Jack and Libba up for a tilt at the finals and what he did for Easton's ankle 8 days out from our EF against West Coast sounded like a thing of beauty.

17. Likes macca, HOSE B ROMERO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Yeah that was great. The confidence we had going into each final in 2016 was also great to hear, particularly the bit where Wood states they were still confident early in the Hawthorn game and that we knew we had their measure. Great stuff.

Also, shout out to Chris Bell. I know he got a lot of stick on here pre-2016 but what he did to get Jack and Libba up for a tilt at the finals and what he did for Easton's ankle 8 days out from our EF against West Coast sounded like a thing of beauty.
    Agreed. You would imagine Bell and the medical staff would be under a lot of pressure at times.