Thanks Thanks:  28
Likes Likes:  154
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bulldogs Ballarat Practice Match.... Your thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullies View Post
    Did Ryan Gardner get injured? Any updates?
    Quote Originally Posted by DISHLICKERS View Post
    Regarding Gardner he did get injured but nothing serious it seems as he came back on the ground
    He has been dealing with a hyper-extension issue throughout preseason according to Chris Grant who was interviewed at half time.

Apparently he flares it up from time to time, hopefully he's able to get through the first few rounds and it goes away I guess.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Apart from the obvious players, I thought the following had a great audition for round 1:
    - Treloar - I didn't think he would be ready. Very wrong.
    - Crozier - kicking out duties with Dale. thought he did a good job throughout. Super sub?
    - Darcy - killed them at the start but not sure why off in the second half. Looked to have thin tape around his right knee as they walked off at end of game.
    - West - I am a big fan but got caught a few times (because he was going in) and a few bad kicks. I liked him in the centre rotations in the Bont group.
    - Khamis - what to do with Baku? Class above in forward line against the B defence. Giving his chances a red hot crack.
    - Arthur Jones - really liked his energy. Would like him on if Weightman not ready. If is, then Arty on interchange to rotate with flea.
    - McLean - was it just where I was sitting or did Toby have a quite day?

3. Likes GVGjr, Yankee Hotel Foxtrot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    He has been dealing with a hyper-extension issue throughout preseason according to Chris Grant who was interviewed at half time.

Apparently he flares it up from time to time, hopefully he's able to get through the first few rounds and it goes away I guess.
    The half time interview was the most insightful thing out of our club since Bevo did a long form interview with Whateley before the 2021 grand final. If they put a replay up make sure you listen as it gives clear view on where we see numerous players.

5. Likes Testekill, hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by meenies View Post
    Apart from the obvious players, I thought the following had a great audition for round 1:
    - Treloar - I didn't think he would be ready. Very wrong.
    - Crozier - kicking out duties with Dale. thought he did a good job throughout. Super sub?
    - Darcy - killed them at the start but not sure why off in the second half. Looked to have thin tape around his right knee as they walked off at end of game.
    - West - I am a big fan but got caught a few times (because he was going in) and a few bad kicks. I liked him in the centre rotations in the Bont group.
    - Khamis - what to do with Baku? Class above in forward line against the B defence. Giving his chances a red hot crack.
    - Arthur Jones - really liked his energy. Would like him on if Weightman not ready. If is, then Arty on interchange to rotate with flea.
    - McLean - was it just where I was sitting or did Toby have a quiet day?
    West gets caught 2-3 times every game. He needs to give the ball first option more. Marra was much better today but he is in the same category, gets himself into trouble nearly every game.

7. Likes GVGjr, Bullies liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dog town View Post
    The half time interview was the most insightful thing out of our club since Bevo did a long form interview with Whateley before the 2021 grand final. If they put a replay up make sure you listen as it gives clear view on where we see numerous players.
    I thought it was excellent. The questioning was well informed and led Grant onto different topics that were the actual important ones, rather than the standard SEN breakfast ones.

Really liked his views on the inconsistency across and within games, and how the players were really strong in wanting to address that.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the updates, missed the game today and just got home.

Who was Liam Jones playing on? How did Naughton go - I know he kicked 3
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I thought it was excellent. The questioning was well informed and led Grant onto different topics that were the actual important ones, rather than the standard SEN breakfast ones.

Really liked his views on the inconsistency across and within games, and how the players were really strong in wanting to address that.
    Duryea also said something very similar during the week of inconsistency across and within games.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Thanks for the updates, missed the game today and just got home.

Who was Liam Jones playing on? How did Naughton go - I know he kicked 3
    Jones was on Naughton for a heap of it but he barely lost a 1 on 1. Naughton definitely had a better 2nd half and maybe Jones tired but there was minimal 1 vs 1 wins on Jones.

12. Thanks bornadog thanked for this post
    Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dog town View Post
    Jones was on Naughton for a heap of it but he barely lost a 1 on 1. Naughton definitely had a better 2nd half and maybe Jones tired but there was minimal 1 vs 1 wins on Jones.
    Thanks for that.

Just shows Jones has still got it. Naughton hasn't been brilliant this preseason, and I think still finding his way.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Thanks for that.

Just shows Jones has still got it. Naughton hasn't been brilliant this preseason, and I think still finding his way.
    Naughton was held well early but he really got going in the second half. If anything his marking got better once the rain came.

Jones was good but wow he does some really stupid stuff. Which I already knew but it’s all the more jarring when it’s for your team instead of someone else’s. Running back with the flight to not only spoil his own team mate but allowing Lobb to kick the easiest soccer goal ever in the third quarter was a particularly bad one.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

15. Thanks bornadog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Naughton was held well early but he really got going in the second half. If anything his marking got better once the rain came.

Jones was good but wow he does some really stupid stuff. Which I already knew but it’s all the more jarring when it’s for your team instead of someone else’s. Running back with the flight to not only spoil his own team mate but allowing Lobb to kick the easiest soccer goal ever in the third quarter was a particularly bad one.
    It's interesting, because I agree with you and thought it was unthinking....however, Garcia on the commentary thought it was amazing courage!

Post Thanks / Like

https://www.zerohanger.com/bulldogs-...clash-133431/#

A trio of injury concerns fortunately faded for the Western Bulldogs during their intraclub clash in Ballarat on Saturday morning in what was a strong hitout under testing conditions.

The weather wasn't kind to Luke Beveridge's men, with rain and wind impacting play as a mixture of the Bulldogs' senior players and VFL-listed talent went head-to-head at Mars Stadium.

The Dogs were near full strength for the four-quarter session, with Cody Weightman (adductor), Laitham Vandermeer (leg), Tim O'Brien (hamstring) and Jason Johannisen (calf) among the small list of absent names.

Defender Ryan Gardner looked to be the club's latest pre-season casualty after suffering an arm/elbow injury in a marking contest with Jamarra Ugle-Hagan in the second term, with Gardner assisted off the field in the hands of Bulldogs medical staff.

Gardner remained on the sidelines for a large portion of the quarter before returning to the field with his left arm strapped and showing no signs of agony after grimacing from the incident earlier.

Ruckman Tim English also left local Dogs fans nervous after a nasty collision left him requiring an on-field assessment for a head knock before he quickly returned to action in the middle.

English missed multiple rounds last season due to a head knock, while hamstring and adductor issues have hindered his preparations for 2023.

The Western Australian managed to get through the remainder of the intraclub match unscathed.

Meanwhile, utility Roarke Smith suffered a suspected foot injury during the hit-out, with the 26-year-old sitting out of the intraclub match for some time.

Dogs fans shouldn't be too concerned for the trio of injury scares, while the likes of Weightman and Johannisen look to be in the mix for next week's pre-season game against North Melbourne.

The club confirmed on Friday that Vandermeer will miss the start of the home and away season with a leg fracture, while O'Brien is set to miss the opening month due to ongoing hamstring issues.

The former Hawks will find it hard to break back into Beveridge's side after a promising display from their tall contingent, with Ugle-Hagan, Aaron Naughton, Rory Lobb and Sam Darcy all managing to share the forward 50.

Lobb and English look well-balanced to split the ruck duties this season, even going head-to-head at times, while Darcy was impressive as a forward target.

The father-son selection's versatility is set to buoy Beveridge's key-position plans, with his aerial dominance also looking to match that of Naughton's.

Veteran Josh Bruce resumed his new role in defence, while swingman Buku Khamis had a large say on the scoreboard with strong opening and fourth terms.

Sophomore Arthur Jones showed exciting signs in attack in the absence of Weightman, while Toby McLean looked comfortable in the forward half of the field after playing just four games since the end of the 2020 season.

The Dogs' senior players weren't the only ones to impress in Ballarat, with VFL-listed midfield-forward Luke Goater, the brother of North Melbourne's Josh, impressed with his run and disposal.

Delisted Collingwood wingman Caleb Poulter was also impressive in his role behind the ball, with the former Magpie hoping to redeem himself in 2023 after signing with Footscray.

The Bulldogs will host North Melbourne at Ikon Park next Saturday for their one and only pre-season match before a Round 1 encounter with Melbourne at the MCG on Saturday, March 18.

18. Thanks Bulldog4life thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Darcy had tape on his knee all game. I didn’t notice him get a knee knock.

Toby was very quiet.

20. Thanks bornadog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post

My thoughts on Jones would be that he was nearly flawless to mid Q3 then dropped away. I am very big on defenders not allowing the ball to get goal side and he had that licked today.

22. Likes GVGjr, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Darcy had back tightness.
    I thought Cleary played well and looked classy

24. Likes Bullies liked this post