Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  11
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bailey Williams? Is anyone gonna tell us???

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    But the one source of truth is wrong.

This thread certainly points out who works in IT and who does not.
    I'm not sure what side you see me on but I can imagine working with whoever the AFL has managing the sites (apparently champion data but I suspect the actual updates are done by offshore resources) is much more tedious and time consuming than it really should be for very simple fixes. I see mjp's perspective but I doubt the club sees it as worth the money and time to takeover running their site (if the AFL would even let them and if they did it would be with very strict guidelines on keeping everything consistent with all the other clubs)

Personally I'm inclined to put these issues at the feet of the AFL. They have enough people to check this information for errors on the few times a year it's updates (draft/trade period).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Sent a DM and got this message

Hi Michael, thanks for that! We were made aware of the annoying change. Unfortunately Champion Data does the player headshot updates and not us so we're currently working with them to have that error rectified.
    The Champion Data monopoly is crazy. Are they owned by the AFL yet?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    I don't believe they are
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Sent a DM and got this message

Hi Michael, thanks for that! We were made aware of the annoying change. Unfortunately Champion Data does the player headshot updates and not us so we're currently working with them to have that error rectified.
    Champion data! Wow - inception style outsourcing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    But the one source of truth is wrong.

This thread certainly points out who works in IT and who does not.
    Mistakes can happen if you "own" the service.

The test is how quickly it's resolved and if it meets your service level agreement with your partners; this is where the issues can be and would really bother me if it took too long.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    They were 49% AFL owned a few years back, not sure if anything has changed since then.

7. Thanks Bulldog4life thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    I see mjp's perspective but I doubt the club sees it as worth the money and time to takeover running their site....
    My issue is that we have clearly lost control of the content on our site.

We could use things like the player photos to promote things/events etc - Easter is coming up, change some of the photos to include Easter Eggs and run a competition asking which player has the most eggs...I mean, I don't KNOW the total ins and outs of the site but it looks like a pretty straight-forward word-press based site...how actually hard could this be?

Run a past players promo and shoot every player with a previous player who wore the same number - get the fans to guess who...give a prize to all entries and a major prize to someone with a perfect entry...and surround all of these with membership offers and links to sponsors with back-link tracking turned on...surely EVERYONE will see the benefit in this? Use competitions like this to enable Mission (for example) to expand their database and send people recipes for Bonts favourite taco recipe...you can't do any of this stuff unless you control your CONTENT.

The club CLEARLY can control the content on the front page of the site...so I'm sure this could be done as well. As has been stated, the draft was in November yet somehow no photos of our draftees are up? Why is this so hard?
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

9. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    AFL signed a contract many years ago and clubs got millions of dollars.

Essendon were running their own website but ended up yielding as well.

We should still be able to do lots of the stuff you talk about.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

We could use things like the player photos to promote things/events etc - Easter is coming up, change some of the photos to include Easter Eggs and run a competition asking which player has the most eggs...I mean, I don't KNOW the total ins and outs of the site but it looks like a pretty straight-forward word-press based site...how actually hard could this be?

Run a past players promo and shoot every player with a previous player who wore the same number - get the fans to guess who...give a prize to all entries and a major prize to someone with a perfect entry...and surround all of these with membership offers and links to sponsors with back-link tracking turned on...surely EVERYONE will see the benefit in this? Use competitions like this to enable Mission (for example) to expand their database and send people recipes for Bonts favourite taco recipe...you can't do any of this stuff unless you control your CONTENT.

The club CLEARLY can control the content on the front page of the site...so I'm sure this could be done as well. As has been stated, the draft was in November yet somehow no photos of our draftees are up? Why is this so hard?
    I don't think many clubs care about their websites. They control their social media channels, and that's where their content goes.

We regularly advertise competitions to guess the team, play memory, etc etc with prizes like Merch packs, mission hampers, game day experiences - but this happens on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter with links.

I don't see the website as an issue within our control.

Post Thanks / Like

Still not fixed. Im surprised, do they really not have ANY access or log in capability themselves?
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

Post Thanks / Like

I think it’s funny and they should leave it
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

14. Likes hujsh, Grantysghost, Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    I think it’s funny and they should leave it
    Trade target

Post Thanks / Like

The priority for the club is fans, sponsors, anything that generates income and of course the footy department and players etc.
    That's why they don't put a lot of effort into the website or news articles. They have a digital team but I don't think they're in anyway maxed out getting content onto the site.
    If one of our company sponsors called and said why is a player wearing another company's logo they'd jump on it quickly but an incorrect picture is just an email and a perhaps a follow-up.

If we really want to create a point of difference on other clubs we should be running our own site but I can't see the club getting passionate about it.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    The priority for the club is fans, sponsors, anything that generates income and of course the footy department and players etc.
    That's why they don't put a lot of effort into the website or news articles. They have a digital team but I don't think they're in anyway maxed out getting content onto the site.
    If one of our company sponsors called and said why is a player wearing another company's logo they'd jump on it quickly but an incorrect picture is just an email and a perhaps a follow-up.

If we really want to create a point of difference on other clubs we should be running our own site but I can't see the club getting passionate about it.
    All clubs agreed to giving control to the AFL, so no way would we be rebels. Young people tend to gravitate to social media and don't look at the website. The social media is pretty strong.

Post Thanks / Like

All clubs agreed to giving control to the AF, so no way would we be rebels. Young people tend to gravitate to social media and don't look at the website. The social media is pretty strong.
    How have you measured that?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"