Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  26
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Sportsbet sponsorship of the AFL

Did anyone else catch the last item on the 730 report tonight about Sportsbet sponsorship of the AFL, and apparently some leading players declining to allow Sportsbet to use their images in advertising?

Apparently surveys indicate that the great majority of AFL fans think that gambling sponsorship and its advertising during games is out of control and should be limited.

Arguably, there are two sides of the argument to this.

One side is that this form of gambling is legal and therefore the promotion of it is legitimate and reasonable.

The other side of the argument, which I agree with, is that this gambling and its promotion is a blight on the game and dangerous to the community.

What do you think?
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sportsbet sponsorship of the AFL

Gambling advertising has become over saturated, I’m happy for an industry that generates harm in the community to have its reach checked.

3. Likes Dry Rot, EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hate it. Such a leach industry and while I don't necessarily want it banned it is broken and atm out of control.

The fact that the major advertising campaigns are basically "I am boring guy at parties but actually i am very cool because i gamble" and "look we are just a regular bunch of guys who are in so deep in our group gambling addiction that even at the birth of our own children we would be fretting about the 7th leg of our multi that Brian added on as a laugh", and that both of these are presented as if they are this edgy personality trait and not the sad and sorry insight into how f*cked this industry can be is insane. They are literally saying the quiet bit out loud and it's specifically to draw more people in (and must somehow be working).

I dunno my main friendship group has no interest as far as i can tell but there are enough other people around me (particularly guys in their 30s) who wear it as a sick badge of honour. Multiple guys I know will bet against their team on the weekend so that if they lose they still "win".
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

5. Likes EasternWest, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupman View Post
    Multiple guys I know will bet against their team on the weekend so that if they lose they still "win".
    That is really weird and ****ed up.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Years back sports were concerned about losing the sponsorship from Cigarette companies but guess what, something else filled the void. Then it was Alcohol companies and then most clubs divested from poker machines due to the public pressure.
    Now the dilemma for sporting competitions is often gambling platforms are a significant sponsor.

Players now also have more control over how their own images are used for sponsorship opportunities and have the right to pick and choose which companies they're happy to be associated with.

I'd prefer that the AFL has no association with gambling companies but controlling it is probably the key.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

8. Likes Dry Rot, Stevo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Players can sign a form to exclude their pics as part of advertising, but apparently many players don't know that
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

There is nothing that sh*ts me more than trying to open a highlights package to show my kids after the game and being confronted with a bloody Sportsbet ad.

The fact that it is shoved in your face constantly is infuriating, particularly with children. It should not be part of the game day experience. Bet on an 800 leg multi every week if you want, but the advertising is too much.
    Wake me up when we get to heaven, let me sleep if we're going to hell

Good luck, for your sake I hope heaven and hell are really there, but I wouldn't hold my breath

And we all found heaven - 2016 Premiers!

11. Likes Dry Rot, 1eyedog, josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Daughter of the West View Post
    There is nothing that sh*ts me more than trying to open a highlights package to show my kids after the game and being confronted with a bloody Sportsbet ad.

The fact that it is shoved in your face constantly is infuriating, particularly with children. It should not be part of the game day experience. Bet on an 800 leg multi every week if you want, but the advertising is too much.
    Primary school kids all talk about the footy as same game multis.

My mates and I had a punters club during covid, we had won almost $1000 as a group and then lost it all on a single bet. It was really scary to see how easily you can lose plenty. I have deleted all my accounts and haven't bet on sport in over 12 months.

I don't think you can ban betting, but you can sure as hell ban betting advertising around the grounds and during the telecast.

13. Likes Dry Rot, EasternWest, josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I watched the Dolphins first NRL match on the weekend. They have a betting sponsor on their back and the Roosters had a different one. They weren’t major brands (well, I don’t think I’d ever really heard of them). So there must be so many different betting agencies now. I’m sure many of the NRL teams have gambling businesses as major sponsors. Doesn’t seem to be the case in AFL and it’s just the league with the big gambling sponsor. Not sure which is worse. Both codes had too many gambling promos I’d say. The amount of ads on Kayo is nuts.

15. Likes Dry Rot, Stevo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Adjacent to this all is the fact that is nothing less funny than than the humour deployed by sports betting marketing folk and social media teams.

17. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    That is really weird and ****ed up.
    Should have heard them try to convince me to bet on Melbourne in the 2021 Grand Final. I said no amount of money would be a consolation prize for losing, their argument was I just had to keep raising the amount until I did hit a number i was happy with.

I dunno the mere idea that I would be happy to sell out the joy of winning a Grand Final (not just my joy either, as if i could hit a number that would compensate me for the joy I would feel, the enjoyment my family of Bulldogs supporters would have, the memories it would make, what it would mean for the club and it's supporters, hell even it's impact on the chat here) for any amount of money completely misses the point f why I follow teams in sport.

Meanwhile I have watched close games with these guys involving their teams and they will verbalise that they want to lose because they will make $50. I'm unsure if they truly mean that but I don't buy that they don't.

The fun of sport is that the highs are made so high because of the possible lows. If you numb yourself against being able to "lose" then where is the joy in winning?
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

19. Likes Dry Rot, Bulldog Joe, Stevo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Betting on footy games is fairly popular. I dont want the club to sign on with one but I have no problems with the AFL or Foxtel doing it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo View Post
    Betting on footy games is fairly popular. I dont want the club to sign on with one but I have no problems with the AFL or Foxtel doing it.
    I guess the question is...should it be so popular? Should kids be growing up seeing Brownys market updates at each quarter time break? Should people with gambling problems not be able to watch their favourite sport anymore because gambling advertising is an intrinsic part of the product?

I think the answer is a clear no. The companies can exist, but they shouldn't be able to advertise at games or during telecasts. The big black warning texts are a good starting point.

Post Thanks / Like

I went to Crown for a conference last week and due to where I parked I walked the main floor to get to the conference area. You know what the scenery reminded me of? A game at Marvel.

Constant noise, constant distractions/ dazzling lights, and inducements to gamble.

Is it just me or has the noise around problem gambling within the AFL grown inversely to the inundation and growth of gambling sponsorship within the AFL?
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    I guess the question is...should it be so popular? Should kids be growing up seeing Brownys market updates at each quarter time break? Should people with gambling problems not be able to watch their favourite sport anymore because gambling advertising is an intrinsic part of the product?

I think the answer is a clear no. The companies can exist, but they shouldn't be able to advertise at games or during telecasts. The big black warning texts are a good starting point.
    You need to be over 18 to make a bet so hopefully by then they can manage their money. We cant lock down everything form peoples decision making. I could live with the no advertising during telecasts but they should be able to advertise.