Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  23
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Robbo's Top 50 - Preseason 2023

My top 50 would be 100% inherently bias but would also be better than the ESPN and Robbo's.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    My top 50 would be 100% inherently bias but would also be better than the ESPN and Robbo's.
    Mine wouldn't be biased.

It would just have Bont, Libba and Naughton in the top 10.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    I don't think there is any way to create a list that isn't inherently biased.

For example:

Bailey Dale is in the top 50 players in the AFL.

- That isn't a question - it is a complete statement of fact. He plays a unique role (well, relatively unique) and every footy side (prob with the exception of Carlton who have Saad) are trying to find a player to play it...Collingwood have Crisp of course but like every other side who find themselves with an exceptional half-back they turn them into a 'good' mid-fielder.

Now - if like the HUN/ESPN polls, you don't create a list based on position types then you will never, ever come to this conclusion...

Even using the CD position descriptions is not enough - and no system that puts Dale and Duryea into the same category (general defender) will ever come up with the correct answer here.

I guess what I'm trying to say if you are the best/second best at your designated role - in the case of Dale/Saad, that role is clearly 'rebound/running defender' - and EVERY club wants one of those players, and you are being paid commensurate with the value you bring your team (and in the case of both of these footballers I believe that to be true!) THEN you are simply going to be 'BETTER' than the 10th midfielder on the list. You just are. Or does this trigger a debate about the 50-best vs the 50-Most Valuable or some other such thing? I sincerely don't know...but I know the mix of the list is wrong and not representative of footy in 2023.

Under-valued: Lock-down small defenders, Key defenders, Running defenders, outside mids, rucks and small forwards.
    Over-valued: Inside mids
    Correctly valued: Tall forwards.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

4. Likes bornadog, Grantysghost, Bulldog Joe, josie liked this post