Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  7
    Post Thanks / Like

McLachlan’s parting gift as AFL CEO; McAvaney inducted into Australian Football Hall of Fame

I know this will make a lot of Woofers as happy as I am!

McLachlan’s parting gift as AFL CEO; McAvaney inducted into Australian Football Hall of Fame

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/...09-p5cqw8.html

Gillon McLachlan has promised to bring the joy back to footy and made no apology for the league’s progressive stance on social issues as he launched his final season as AFL chief executive.

Speaking one week before the 2023 season begins next Thursday night – the long-time league boss declared: “This is the season we want. And the season we need.”

McLachlan was unapologetic about the AFL’s choice to jump out of its lane by getting involved in wider societal issues.

“We lead the community on social issues,” McLachlan said. “And those who yell at us to stick to football don’t understand who we are and what we mean in the community – we don’t lecture or tell others what to do.

“We simply say to everyone in this country that we represent you, or we aspire to. We make it known what we stand for, the AFL and our clubs.

“It’s why there will be more than 1.2 million club members this year, another record.”

I am a bit of a curmudgeon when it comes to the positive doublespeak the AFL spews forth, however, this is possibly the most ridiculous thing I think I've read in a long time.

On what measure is the AFL representing everyone or leading social issues? The talent pool is dominated by private school kids, there's no openly LGBTQ players, there's ongoing racism within the league and two senior men's coaches subject to a stalled investigation into whether they forced indigenous players and their partners to make life changing decisions like aborting a child for the betterment of a powerful football club, and to top it off the AFL and its partners saturate the landscape with betting advertisements all for the mighty dollar.....to name but a few things.

And that's all before you get to Bruce (I actually think Bruce deserves his Hall of Fame induction, even if I think he's a creep)!

But keep walking down that street naked in your new clothes, Gil.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

2. Thanks 1eyedog thanked for this post
    Likes bornadog, hujsh, The Doctor, EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: McLachlan’s parting gift as AFL CEO; McAvaney inducted into Australian Football Hall of Fame

Some posts need love buttons.

4. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: McLachlan’s parting gift as AFL CEO; McAvaney inducted into Australian Football Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I know this will make a lot of Woofers as happy as I am!

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/...09-p5cqw8.html

Gillon McLachlan has promised to bring the joy back to footy and made no apology for the league’s progressive stance on social issues as he launched his final season as AFL chief executive.

Speaking one week before the 2023 season begins next Thursday night – the long-time league boss declared: “This is the season we want. And the season we need.”

McLachlan was unapologetic about the AFL’s choice to jump out of its lane by getting involved in wider societal issues.

“We lead the community on social issues,” McLachlan said. “And those who yell at us to stick to football don’t understand who we are and what we mean in the community – we don’t lecture or tell others what to do.

“We simply say to everyone in this country that we represent you, or we aspire to. We make it known what we stand for, the AFL and our clubs.

“It’s why there will be more than 1.2 million club members this year, another record.”

I am a bit of a curmudgeon when it comes to the positive doublespeak the AFL spews forth, however, this is possibly the most ridiculous thing I think I've read in a long time.

On what measure is the AFL representing everyone or leading social issues? The talent pool is dominated by private school kids, there's no openly LGBTQ players, there's ongoing racism within the league and two senior men's coaches subject to a stalled investigation into whether they forced indigenous players and their partners to make life changing decisions like aborting a child for the betterment of a powerful football club, and to top it off the AFL and its partners saturate the landscape with betting advertisements all for the mighty dollar.....to name but a few things.

And that's all before you get to Bruce (I actually think Bruce deserves his Hall of Fame induction, even if I think he's a creep)!

But keep walking down that street naked in your new clothes, Gil.
    Yes. Give me more.

Also, I agree re McAvaney - maybe he wasn't as weird early or maybe I was less tuned into it when I was younger, but his breadth of knowledge and game involvement for a long time really can't be questioned.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

To be fair, there are a heap of openly gay AFLW players.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    To be fair, there are a heap of openly gay AFLW players.
    I should have qualified that, by saying in the men's competition.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I should have qualified that, by saying in the men's competition.
    You should have pulled the snowflake trigger and said "AFLM".

9. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    You should have pulled the snowflake trigger and said "AFLM".
    Australian Football Leagues

AFL Men
    AFL Women

Makes sense like the A-League change.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Australian Football Leagues

AFL Men
    AFL Women

Makes sense like the A-League change.
    I don't care I just like seeing snowflakes triggered.

12. Likes Grantysghost liked this post