Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
    Post Thanks / Like

What can the AFL learn about new teams from the NRL and the Dolphins?

How did the NRL get it right with the Dolphins? Early days, but the new NRL team the Dolphins seem very competitive in their first season.

In contrast, the two most recent AFL teams have at very best been partially successful after many years.

The Giants made the finals, a PF and GF after many years and have now slipped back down the back.

The Suns have never looked like making the finals.

With talk of a new AFL team in Tasmania, what can the AFL learn from the way the NRL went about the Dolphins?

What can the AFL do better with their next new team?
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What can the AFL learn about new teams from the NRL and the Dolphins?

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    How did the NRL get it right with the Dolphins? Early days, but the new NRL team the Dolphins seem very competitive in their first season.

In contrast, the two most recent AFL teams have at very best been partially successful after many years.

The Giants made the finals, a PF and GF after many years and have now slipped back down the back.

The Suns have never looked like making the finals.

With talk of a new AFL team in Tasmania, what can the AFL learn from the way the NRL went about the Dolphins?

What can the AFL do better with their next new team?
    I don't think it's right to assume the Dolphins will be successful but perhaps going back to when the Storm started it highlights a question about why that was so successful so early.
    We could argue that West Coast, Adelaide, Port and Freo were successful introductions when they joined the competition but coming from heartland states I think that makes it so much easier. What holds everything back in the AFL is the draft but it's worth persevering with. Putting GC into temporary facilities was a huge mistake and one that the competition is still paying for but I do think they're on the right course now.

If it is to be Tasmania then a good ground and fixing the state league can guarantee a successful start pr at ;east the failures of GWS and GC are not repeated.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Didn’t they introduce a new team into a market they already dominated?

I’m sure if the AFL brought in another Perth team it would work too.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

4. Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

One of the licence criteria was that they have to be self sufficient from day 1. I guess it brings about different list management decisions if you focus on being competitive immediately.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I don't think it's right to assume the Dolphins will be successful but perhaps going back to when the Storm started it highlights a question about why that was so successful so early.
    We could argue that West Coast, Adelaide, Port and Freo were successful introductions when they joined the competition but coming from heartland states I think that makes it so much easier. What holds everything back in the AFL is the draft but it's worth persevering with. Putting GC into temporary facilities was a huge mistake and one that the competition is still paying for but I do think they're on the right course now.

If it is to be Tasmania then a good ground and fixing the state league can guarantee a successful start pr at ;east the failures of GWS and GC are not repeated.
    Freo from day one?

They were known as the "Shockers" for a reason. I get that early on they won a few but that's largely because VIC/ eastern state teams were so bad with travel in the 90's.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.