Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  23
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bevo in 2014 - what did you think?

I could not stand our playing style under bmac. It had no zip or flair about it. It seemed to be based around creating stoppages and moving the ball, rugby league like, a few metres at a time. So when I saw we were getting a young coach who had been assistant at the all conquering Hawks and who had played for us too, I was really happy. He seemed like hot property too and I was very impressed his press interviews where he appeared to be innovative. And he certainly proved to be.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

2. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

One of my favourite threads. The B-Mac debate with list management & Dal thrown in. A feisty and passionate debate about what to do about our club at the time. Great respect to all who contributed on either side of the debate.

https://www.woof.net.au/forum/showth...own+v+Werribee
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

4. Thanks mjp thanked for this post
    Likes JanLorMill, bornadog, Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think it's revisionist to say Bevo was considered a good appointment at the time. Only concern I recall was his media work, whilst it did improve with experience his attitude towards it didn't
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    One of my favourite threads. The B-Mac debate with list management & Dal thrown in. A feisty and passionate debate about what to do about our club at the time. Great respect to all who contributed on either side of the debate.

Thanks for the reminder.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post

Be honest you just bumped this because you were right.

Great match report early in that thread though.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Also in the anyone other than BMAC camp.

What surprises me, is that he?s over performed and underperformed in such a short space. Over shot in 2015. To the moon in 2016. Then with the youngest premiership list in years, we missed finals. Then we scraping in to make up the numbers. Then 2021 he should?ve been our first two-time coach of the club. Then making up the numbers last year. It?s schizophrenic.

He?s prepared to live and die by the sword and I hope he lives long. There?s no excuses now. He?s got the cattle this year and will get better next year. Time to iron out the ruck strategy, get the game plan right and get selections right while adjusting to the new sub rule etc.
    Bump. Now fast tracking to a full rebuild despite chasing 30 year olds, with a playing group looking list to him. How with the list profile of talent and age have we not been able to play multiple consecutive seasons deep into finals like with Plough & Rocket? It?s truly a schizophrenic ride. With his nice new shiny contract, strap in because I fear it's getting even worse before or if it gets better.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

I was one of a very few who liked what Bmac brought to the club. Having our own reserves team was massive. I was happy with the emphasis on contested ball & I could see the development. I wasn't that concerned on the lack of wins cause I wanted us to play a style of footy that once we were good enough to play finals it would stack up. Was devastated with all that took place in October. We were a laughing stock.
    I can't remember what I really thought of Bevo. It was apparent from our first game that the players needed the shackles taken off & given the freedom to express their attacking way. Chompers was a revelation. He got the best out of the squad & the players believed in the system. They sacrificed their individual games for the benefit of the team. It was beautiful!
    Nobody in 2014 thought we had the cattle to do what we did. There is nothing wrong with the cattle (yes the list isn't perfectly balanced) we have now. We have no system & the players do not believe in what they are being asked to do. I remember hearing Rowan Marshall on the radio last night & he was asked what the team talked about at half time. He said basically they all believed in the system & if they stuck to their processes they would win. There is no way the saints had a better team on paper but they believed & we didn't. Belief is everything.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by anfo27 View Post
    I was one of a very few who liked what Bmac brought to the club. Having our own reserves team was massive. I was happy with the emphasis on contested ball & I could see the development. I wasn't that concerned on the lack of wins cause I wanted us to play a style of footy that once we were good enough to play finals it would stack up. Was devastated with all that took place in October. We were a laughing stock.
    I can't remember what I really thought of Bevo. It was apparent from our first game that the players needed the shackles taken off & given the freedom to express their attacking way. Chompers was a revelation. He got the best out of the squad & the players believed in the system. They sacrificed their individual games for the benefit of the team. It was beautiful!
    Nobody in 2014 thought we had the cattle to do what we did. There is nothing wrong with the cattle (yes the list isn't perfectly balanced) we have now. We have no system & the players do not believe in what they are being asked to do. I remember hearing Rowan Marshall on the radio last night & he was asked what the team talked about at half time. He said basically they all believed in the system & if they stuck to their processes they would win. There is no way the saints had a better team on paper but they believed & we didn't. Belief is everything.
    Great post @anfo27

who would have thought in 2014, we had a nucleus of a premiership team ?

BMac and the coaching group brought the defensive game plan and the toughness instilled in the players.

With a few players maturing like Jong, McRae, Bonts, Big Red, excellent depth ( we won the VFL in 2016) with Adcock and Suckling , with players given freedom to go full throttle.

Interesting, Collingwood is in similar position now with McRae with the Bucks departure ( heavy defense mindset) .