Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  26
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Controversial Opinion: Bont has gotten too BIG

Hey -

As the season draws ever closer I just wanted to share a few player thoughts. I have a list of about 12 I would like to get through but I'll see how I go.

First one is simple: Bont has simply put on TOO much size and is too big to be the best player he can. I worry about primarily about lower leg injury and soreness - he is MASSIVE.

I KNOW his pre-season running has been off-the-charts good - and 'speed' has never been his thing - but I honestly feel that he needs to be a MIDFIELDER not a centre-half-back...and he's now 100% Key PP size and (throwback) KPP build - and I'm think 1990's Jackovich when I make that point.

Does anyone else feel like a few less kgs (and I KNOW it's all muscle) would serve him well/take the pressure off his body and assist in his ability to recover from week-to-week and with his longevity?

Anyway - unleash the hounds 'cos I'm sure this wont be a popular pov.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Controversial Opinion: Bont has gotten too BIG

Personally I am trusting Bont on this.

He has done a lot of work understanding his physical requirements and all the reports plus the pre-season practice and match sim indicate he is primed.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

You will find players do a lot of weights over the pre season but they will lose the bulk during the season as they don’t do weights as much.
    I get your point an example being Templeton, nowadays they have a lot more knowledge and do it gradually.

Bont seems to have a good body to not get injured.
    I hope we aren’t putting the “ moz” on him.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Hey, MJP, I am the one that usually comments on body size

I sort of agree that Bont could trim down a bit and be a little more athletic in shape, however, I think he is still moving ok as he is a freak.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not aligned at all on this.

I think he's thinned down a bit this year and is extremely lean... he's moving as well as he ever has and I'm expecting a huge year from him.

6. Likes Bullies, SonofScray, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, sorry MJP - think I'm with the wolf pack.

If you stood Bont next to Petracca or Cripps, I'm not sure there'd be a big difference in the shape of the three. Happy to be called out on that, but just how it looks to me on tele.

Post Thanks / Like

Everybody is okay to have there own opinion but bont looks great

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting.

I heard Easton Wood speaking about this recently, he had been recovering from an injury and put on too much bulk.
    He couldn't run out games he said.

Re Bont, I'd suggest he's hitting all the appropriate benchmarks for his position in pre-season so im not concerned and seeing him live a couple of times, to my eye he's pretty lean.

Interesting view.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    he is MASSIVE.

I KNOW his pre-season running has been off-the-charts good - and 'speed' has never been his thing - but I honestly feel that he needs to be a MIDFIELDER not a centre-half-back...and he's now 100% Key PP size and (throwback) KPP build - and I'm think 1990's Jackovich when I make that point.
    well I did suggest him for CHB in one of those threads about playing guys in a different position to try something new. I don't think it went down to well.

to me he looks in great shape, a power athlete.
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post

to me he looks in great shape, a power athlete.
    I love the phrase and 100% agree.

I'm just not sure power athlete is what we need...I would have said 'Endurance Athlete' for what we need from him right now.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm loving all the replies by the way!

13. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't really have any experience in this regard to make an informed comment, other than to say its these types of threads and conversations on topics like this that reaffirm why this forum has a point of difference to other fan sites.

Also that from my uneducated point of view, I looked at the way Bont has moved in the practice match and he just looked impossible to stop, and it didn't look to have negatively impacted other areas of his game.

I must say though that given your professional fitness background Mike, I am now concerned! So thanks!!!

15. Likes Bullies liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

To me he looks lean and ripped and I don't believe he could get any leaner and play like he does. Given he hasn't missed a session and came 3rd in the MAS test are all positive signs to me that they have struck the right balance with his physique
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

17. Likes Uninformed liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    To me he looks lean and ripped and I don't believe he could get any leaner and play like he does. Given he hasn't missed a session and came 3rd in the MAS test are all positive signs to me that they have struck the right balance with his physique
    I guess you have seen him up close at the training sessions - so sounds good to me.

Injury free, he will be number 1 this year in the AFL
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Hey -

As the season draws ever closer I just wanted to share a few player thoughts. I have a list of about 12 I would like to get through but I'll see how I go.

First one is simple: Bont has simply put on TOO much size and is too big to be the best player he can. I worry about primarily about lower leg injury and soreness - he is MASSIVE.

Does anyone else feel like a few less kgs (and I KNOW it's all muscle) would serve him well/take the pressure off his body and assist in his ability to recover from week-to-week and with his longevity?

Anyway - unleash the hounds 'cos I'm sure this wont be a popular pov.
    I have no footy background like you mjp but this did pass my mind. Let’s see how season pans out. Players tend to lose a few kg during season I read somewhere so maybe that’s accounted for. One thing for sure as the ultimate professional and with medicos and sport scientists involved I know Bont has planned this which gives me confidence. Having seen a little pre-season he looks magnificent.