Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  33
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bankers & Anchors: Rnd 1, 2023 vs Melbourne Demons

Bankers:
    Tim was good. I wouldn’t say great but he was good.
    Libba keeps on going.
    Ed was lively

Anchors:
    Hunter looks back
    We gave up in the end, and % matters in a tight comp. A 30 point loss would’ve been a shame. 50 is moving to disaster territory.
    Tall fwd line. Darcy and Lobb were liabilities.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JanLorMill View Post
    Just for the record
    English 62 ruck contests 27 centre bounce
    Gawn 38 & 13 Grundy 29 & 16
    Didn't watch the game but what is the point of Lobb if these numbers are correct? Sounds like English faded badly as the game wore on, which is the precise reason we traded in a 30yo to support him. So why didn't we deploy Lobb in the ruck for more extended periods if English was tiring? It wasn't as though Lobb was catching fire up forward.

The bombing into F50 is a bit of a relic of the 2016-2020 era. We started the men of mayhem and Richmond perfected it. The game has changed significantly since then and it appears that we haven't moved with the game trend yet.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

3. Likes kruder, BornInDroopSt'54, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Didn't watch the game but what is the point of Lobb if these numbers are correct? Sounds like English faded badly as the game wore on, which is the precise reason we traded in a 30yo to support him. So why didn't we deploy Lobb in the ruck for more extended periods if English was tiring?
    Because our coach, despite having ample opportunity to arm himself with the tools needed, is bereft of ideas.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    The bombing into F50
    This was the disappointing part of the night, and I blame players here. The delivery into the forward line was woeful but equally, Naughton spent the entire night wrestling his opponent. Really Naughton should have got lots of frees for being scragged but at the same time, he rarely made a lead, so the ball was then just bombed in. Lobb the same just standing there like a statue. JUH was more lively and tried hard to get into space. Shouldn't be difficult at the MCG. Even the big dud brown did that.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Well the ratings are crap is then. Assume these are the same ratings that had Macrae and Daniel as our 3rd and 4th best
    Gawn was close to best on ground. English wasn’t named in our best 5.
    Lobb is a forward, English is our main ruck. Would say he did approximately 80% of ruck contests. Gawn less
    Disagreement and robust debate is fine. Our AFL match report ratings, in order, were Treloar, English, Liberatore and Macrae so you obviously looked somewhere else - interested to know where was it that didn't have English in our top 5 ? Anyway your votes would be of interest whatever they might be.

Post Thanks / Like

Bankers:

Ed Richards - looked great at times, defended smartly and was good under pressure
    Scott - had a couple of super efforts in the 2nd quarter at either end of the ground that both prevented and created a goal
    Libba - just initiates so much positive for us

Anchors:
    Lobb - I was a sceptic and well, not much has changed
    Daniel - I'm pretty pro taking a risk for potential big reward, but a couple of those turnovers out of D50 were awful execution that killed us
    Bont - missing the goal from the downfield free to Smith was a huge huge loss of momentum when the crowd were really up for it.
    It all went downhill from there.
    "You always own the option of having no opinion. There is never any need to get worked up or to trouble your soul about things you can't control. These things are not asking to be judged by you. Leave them alone" - Marcus Aurelius

Post Thanks / Like

Bankers

1. Tim English - really gave his all against two of the best, although I feel Grundy is cooked. 24 Disposals and 15 were contested.

2. Tom Libba - Gave away a couple of vital frees, but was pretty good overall

3. Josh Bruce - hasn't played the roll for a very long time, but I thought he wasn't too bad. Looked our best tall defender. Again also made a couple of errors, but overall great first up effort.

Anchors

1. The AFL rules - gifted two goals to Melbourne due to either 6.6.6, or stand. The Libba one when he stood on the goal square line was joke. The ball went from one end to the other. The 6.6.6 because someone didn't stand in the goal square - wow AFL are delusional

2. The poor delivery into the forward 50 - made it very difficult for the talls.

3. The Club - for choosing not to have a proper hitout preseason and just playing a interclub practise match and one game v North. Melbourne had two decent hitouts and were in form going into this game.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

9. Likes Scorlibo, kruder liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Banker's

1. Libba. I feel sorry for him that he played such a good game where he busted his gut working so hard and we got smashed by 50. Without him it would've been a lot worse

2. Treloar. He was great finding ways out of their tight zones. Tackling was great too.

3. Bruce. When Jones went down I knew we were in strife but I thought he did well in a position he hasn't played in since early in his career. He was caught out a few times but there wasn't much more he could've done with the ease they brought the ball forward.

Anchors

1. Bont. His ball use was the worst iv ever seen from him. That miss after Smith got cleaned up was when the game changed.

Daniel. Another whose ball use was the worst I've ever seen from him. Taking the high risk option is normally his go but 1 his touch was off and 2 Melbourne were setting up to cut off our kicks all night by standing 5 -10 metres off their opponents to get a the intercept and we played into their hands. Daniel is smarter and better than to fall for that .

3. Succumbing to their pressure (actual and perceived) all night and not doing the same back the other way. We cracked all night under pressure, dropped marks, rushed disposals and didn't work half as much as them to apply pressure back the other way. Our want to defend, pressure and close down space was polar opposite to them.
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

11. Likes bornadog, kruder, HOSE B ROMERO, merantau liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AshMac View Post
    I thought English had an excellent game for the most part - faded in and out at times but overall easily one of our best.

To do that alone against two of the best ruckman over the last 5 years is even better.

As for the stats:

English won 43.5% of HO’s
    Gawn 34%, and
    Grundy 55%

Overall that is a solid game for hit outs alone.

English also had an impact around the ground - particularly in the second quarter. Gawn was more influential overall - he is a more mature and better player at the moment - but English was still outstanding and I’m really pleased with his performance
    Of the 22 English HO’s I can’t remember 1 (not saying it didn’t happen) that went direct to our advantage(clearance) whereas I bet there a heaps in the 33Hos Gawndy combination.
    btw those stats don’t look right 22ho from 62 ruck contests isn’t 43.5
    neither Gawn 21 from 38 Grundy 12 from 29

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    English was terrific for the most part. His positioning and body control at boundary throw ins was the best it’s been.

Got torched a bit towards end of quarters especially before half time, have no idea why Lobb didn’t chop him out in the middle.
    It is little hard to tell from the nose bleed, but I thought his second quarter until the avalanche was the best I'd had ever seen him play.

From all reports, Lobb hasn't been doing much rucking in the preseason so it's not a surprise. Very curious though???

Post Thanks / Like

Of the 22 English HO’s I can’t remember 1 (not saying it didn’t happen) that went direct to our advantage(clearance) whereas I bet there a heaps in the 33Hos Gawndy combination.
    btw those stats don’t look right 22ho from 62 ruck contests isn’t 43.5
    neither Gawn 21 from 38 Grundy 12 from 29
    Tim English 6
    Lobb 1
    Gawn 7
    Grundy 4

4 differences - not much in it

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post

1. The AFL rules - gifted two goals to Melbourne due to either 6.6.6, or stand. The Libba one when he stood on the goal square line was joke. The ball went from one end to the other. The 6.6.6 because someone didn't stand in the goal square - wow AFL are delusional
    If a freekick at the back and then middle of the centre square is an automatic goal against us I think that says more about our defensive setup than the umpiring. At least the Pickett one gave us no chance to stop the goal once the decision was made.

3. The Club - for choosing not to have a proper hitout preseason and just playing a interclub practise match and one game v North. Melbourne had two decent hitouts and were in form going into this game.
    Baffling. Imagine finding out you are playing a side that is not only quality but has consistently killed us and while trying to get an innovative(*??*) forward setup humming against AFL opposition we opt to play Norf and....um....ourselves?
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Tim English 6
    Lobb 1
    Gawn 7
    Grundy 4

4 differences - not much in it
    Yeah I think it's more down to how damaging Melbourne were able to be from their hitouts to advantage.

I don't recall our players being able to burst from the clearance with as much power as Petracca and Oliver did, which is not Tim's fault.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupman View Post
    Yeah I think it's more down to how damaging Melbourne were able to be from their hitouts to advantage.

I don't recall our players being able to burst from the clearance with as much power as Petracca and Oliver did, which is not Tim's fault.
    Whilst that is true, the point of the post is Tim played a very good game last night and matched the AFL top rucks.

Post Thanks / Like

Brisbane played Sydney and Geelong in the lead up to rd1 and still got smashed. I'm not sure it had anything to do with it to be honest.

Our defensive system currently sucks, until we stop guarding space when the ball is in the vicinity we will continually get beaten by the top sides. That goal from Melksham in the last is an absolute blight on the coaching staff and players, we had 3 players back yet they all allowed him to get goal side and chose to guard space instead. It was an absolute disgrace and its been going on far too long now.

19. Likes Dry Rot, merantau liked this post