Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  27
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Moment: Rnd 1, 2023 vs Melbourne Demons

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I got into trouble for suggesting that type of miss is the reason he can't be remembered as the most elite of elite Bulldogs, because they happen all too often.

Someone of his skill and stature just can't miss by that much and expect to be held in the highest esteem.
    It's those moments that set them apart and can elevate a player from very good to great. I remember Bruce saying something while Chris Grant lined up for a tough goal in a high pressure situation. He said something like 'These are the ones that you are remembered for, Carey would kick it', regardless of the Carey fawning which he was always prone to he was right.

Grant kicked it btw.

Bont missed and Satdee night is history.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    It's those moments that set them apart and can elevate a player from very good to geat. I remember Bruce saying something while Chris Grant lined up for a tough goal in a high pressure situation. He said something like 'These are the ones that you are remembered for, Carey would kick it', regardless of the Carey fawning which he is always prone to he was right.

Grant kicked it btw.
    That's factually incorrect... he missed it.

Rd 10, 1998 vs WC in Perth,

We kicked 8 goals to zip in the 1st qtr and they reversed that in the 2nd.. Grant had a kick from about 40-45m out just before 1/2 time to arrest the momentum and missed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    That's factually incorrect... he missed it.

Rd 10, 1998 vs WC in Perth,

We kicked 8 goals to zip in the 1st qtr and they reversed that in the 2nd.. Grant had a kick from about 40-45m out just before 1/2 time to arrest the momentum and missed.
    Sounds like it's not the first time Bruce said that then because he definitely kicked it, but I may be getting it mixed up as I am old.

Regardless the point stands it was such a momentum shifting miss. I mean he nearly missed everything.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Sounds like it's not the first time Bruce said that then because he definitely kicked it.
    You and Mantis are both right.

1eyedog, you are recalling the 2000 Essendon match when Bruce was remembering what he said about Grant in 1998 as he was about to put the Dogs in front.

FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

5. Thanks 1eyedog, The bulldog tragician thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I got into trouble for suggesting that type of miss is the reason he can't be remembered as the most elite of elite Bulldogs, because they happen all too often.

Someone of his skill and stature just can't miss by that much and expect to be held in the highest esteem.
    Yep, I've said the same and many disagree. He's missed big goals his whole career. Dating back to the Adelaide final in 2015. I think he missed 2 from the same spot.

I still reckon he's the best in the league, but it'd be undeniable if he could kick clutch goals consistently. (He got the one against WC in 2021 (?) that was huge. So I'm not saying he never kicks them, but whenever he's lining up I cover my eyes and he was always going to miss that one on Sat night left... it looked that way from the line he was walking in on).

It would also limit his ability to expect more from Naughton etc. If the captain can't get it done, how can he expect others to?

So yeah... Bont's miss was 100% the moment for mine.

Post Thanks / Like

Bont’s miss, but Pickett’s “free kick” against Libba was close behind.
    Park that car
    Drop that phone
    Sleep on the floor
    Dream about me

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    You and Mantis are both right.

1eyedog, you are recalling the 2000 Essendon match when Bruce was remembering what he said about Grant in 1998 as he was about to put the Dogs in front.

Thanks BAD that's the one I was thinking of.

9. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    I heard recruiters speaking about English and their concern over him was a lack of competitiveness / he was too nice.
    We have an inordinate amount of these types, Bont is greatest player ever but man his body language was a concern tonight.
    Smith gets nigh on killed and we all went to water. Bah...!

I'm moving on from this game....

Now.

Now...
    As much as he wasn't everyones favourite we have no one who tackles and flies the flag like Cordy did. Don't underestimate his value in regards to pressure and hurting guys when laying tackles. Watch the Saints last quarter yesterday. he may not have got a lot of it but his pressure/tackling was first rate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    I heard recruiters speaking about English and their concern over him was a lack of competitiveness / he was too nice.
    Never have I seen him so angry when Kosi hit Smith. He and Macrae really got stuck in. Tim in background and Macrae (the quiet guy) right in there

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

12. Likes bulldogfan, Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by merantau View Post
    Marra should have kicked 3 and the dropped mark makes it 4.
    The Bont miss was was really bad and this is becoming a blot on his game. He needs to turn this around - and quick - lest he be remembered for it.
    The Bont missing on goal was momentum stifling. I think his ball movement in general was a huge letdown. As the skipper he sets the standard, and I would hope he is super critical of his disposal efficiency on the weekend and improves. If that's going to be the way he uses the ball more often than not, we're going to be in trouble, and hes' not the player I thought he is/was.

14. Likes derb liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The game turned when Bont missed that set shot.

Can't pin it all on that but they got a run on after that.

16. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Never have I seen him so angry when Kosi hit Smith. He and Macrae really got stuck in. Tim in background and Macrae (the quiet guy) right in there

The quiet guy getting flushed by a player who is 21cm shorter and 15kg lighter... nice of Jack to go over and fly the flag, but you'd hardly be shaking in your boots if he started a scuffle with you.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    The quiet guy getting flushed by a player who is 21cm shorter and 15kg lighter... nice of Jack to go over and fly the flag, but you'd hardly be shaking in your boots if he started a scuffle with you.
    At least he did

19. Likes josie, The bulldog tragician, azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It was Bont alright.
    He missed it before he lined up.
    For some reason had zero faith and application, feeling pressure and seemed to just hope.
    Set the tone.

Post Thanks / Like

It was Bont alright.
    He missed it before he lined up.
    For some reason had zero faith and application, feeling pressure and seemed to just hope.
    Set the tone.
    FFS Bont get yourself a goal kicking routine and believe in it.