Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  35
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Not Controversial Opinion: It's Year 3 and we STILL don't know what we have (or what to do) with Adam Treloar

A couple of years back - there was this whole trade period 'mess' and somehow, Adam Treloar - one of the pre-eminent mids in the game (electric speed, beautifully skilled on both sides, courageous etc) somehow ended up as a Bulldog.

It was mostly praised at the time - but there was some disquiet about the whole 'where's he gonna play' thing given we already had Bont, Liber, Macrae, Smith, Dunklet, McLean, Hunter etc.

He has been 'OK' - but as of right now his effectiveness as a player would be ranked as:

Pies #1, Giants #2, Dogs #7/8.

He has played inside mid (a bit), lots of outside mid, a fair bit of half forward and even some half-back. I have NO IDEA where he will line up in 2023...I'm not convinced that anyone does.

What is his best spot? Inside mid. Where will he play? Everywhere else...
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Not Controversial Opinion: It's Year 3 and we STILL don't know what we have (or what to do) with Adam Treloar

His heart isn't in it anymore but the money is still good. The secnd ruck role is now taken so I guess he'll have to play outside. I don't think he has electric speed but he has enough to play on a wing. I'd rather him there so he can free range a bit when our blue chip midfield is operating rather than back or forward.

3. Likes Bullies liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Not Controversial Opinion: It's Year 3 and we STILL don't know what we have (or what to do) with Adam Treloar

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    A couple of years back - there was this whole trade period 'mess' and somehow, Adam Treloar - one of the pre-eminent mids in the game (electric speed, beautifully skilled on both sides, courageous etc) somehow ended up as a Bulldog.

It was mostly praised at the time - but there was some disquiet about the whole 'where's he gonna play' thing given we already had Bont, Liber, Macrae, Smith, Dunklet, McLean, Hunter etc.

He has been 'OK' - but as of right now his effectiveness as a player would be ranked as:

Pies #1, Giants #2, Dogs #7/8.

He has played inside mid (a bit), lots of outside mid, a fair bit of half forward and even some half-back. I have NO IDEA where he will line up in 2023...I'm not convinced that anyone does.

What is his best spot? Inside mid. Where will he play? Everywhere else...
    It was a strange move at the time and one that we didn't really need to make. I guess this is the year that we can judge him the most fairly on now that he can spend more time in the position he was always best suited to.
    Running him off half back last season wasn't the greatest way to utilise his talents. His best role is right in the midfield.

I really like Treloar but it was a move that perhaps didn't need to be made.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

He is an inside midfielder, should not be anywhere near the wing. I think he has done quite well when we have been able to use him there.

6. Likes bornadog, josie, Bulldog4life, lemmon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think the worse thing happened to Treloar which has blunted his effectiveness and we could kinda see it coming. We couldn't fit him in so he didn't get the opportunities to settle into our structure iin a role that suits his skill set. He has played pretty much everywhere.

Who do we see filling the Dunkley void? Is it a case of Libba and Macrae doing more heavy lifting or does Smith need to play on the inside more and can he be expected to work both ways? Does Treloar move into the Smith role? Is Tobes a dark horse for more midfield minutes?

There's one less player in our midfield rotation from last season but I still don't see where Adz 'fits'.

8. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    His heart isn't in it anymore but the money is still good. The secnd ruck role is now taken so I guess he'll have to play outside. I don't think he has electric speed but he has enough to play on a wing. I'd rather him there so he can free range a bit when our blue chip midfield is operating rather than back or forward.
    Why do you say this? I'd love to know.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

I think the worse thing happened to Treloar which has blunted his effectiveness and we could kinda see it coming. We couldn't fit him in so he didn't get the opportunities to settle into our structure iin a role that suits his skill set. He has played pretty much everywhere.

Who do we see filling the Dunkley void? Is it a case of Libba and Macrae doing more heavy lifting or does Smith need to play on the inside more and can he be expected to work both ways? Does Treloar move into the Smith role? Is Tobes a dark horse for more midfield minutes?

There's one less player in our midfield rotation from last season but I still don't see where Adz 'fits'.
    We have two less in the midfield rotations.

I'd move Smith to a wing and play Treloar in the middle as an inside mid.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post

Smith played there way more than Adz last season though not sure Baz would be completely happy with that re. his expectations.

Post Thanks / Like

Smith played there way more than Adz last season though not sure Baz would be completely happy with that re. his expectations.
    Ture. I still want Treloar as the inside mid. My thoughts play Smith where he is best for the team. My minority view is play Smith as our attacking wingman. Either way does anyone truly believe Smith will be in RWB at the end of this contract.

13. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

He was almost BOG in the GF until... anyway I think his role is pretty easy this year. There are 5 main mids and they play 80% TOG meaning they can all play significant time in the middle. I'd love if he could utilize his pace in the middle as a defensive weapon (same with Bailey) but I think he, more than any of our other mids, is probably best suited to an outside role. His combination of pace and footskills can't quite be replicated by any other player.

Again though, just because it's an outside role doesn't mean it's an attacking only role. There's no reason he can't apply defensive pressure on the outside when we don't win the ball. I'm not sure any of this is part of 'the plan' though.

15. Likes Sedat, josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Why do you say this? I'd love to know.
    I was being unfairly facetious I'm certain he's mentally and emotionally strong enough to continue to perform at a high level after being completely shafted by his former coach and players and having just lost his BFF.

Will it be Brisvegas 2024 for Adz? Who knows.

Post Thanks / Like

It was 8 minutes of mayhem in the 2021 GF away from being a masterstroke decision in year 1. And if Bont wasn't superman, Treloar would have been right in the Norm Smith frame.

For mine, he's an inside mid who can burst out of stoppages. I hope we deploy him in the coalface more often than not.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    It was 8 minutes of mayhem in the 2021 GF away from being a masterstroke decision in year 1. And if Bont wasn't superman, Treloar would have been right in the Norm Smith frame.

For mine, he's an inside mid who can burst out of stoppages. I hope we deploy him in the coalface more often than not.
    I've obviously not watched the GF a second time, but maybe I should (up until the end of Q3 at least - nobody needs to see that again).

I've always liked him as a person and as a player and I was one of the ones who wanted him even though I knew it wouldn't really work. You can't say no when a player like that drops in your lap. But yeah it's been dispiriting seeing him unable to do what he does best most of the time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I really like Treloar but it was a move that perhaps didn't need to be made.
    Can't agree with this. You can never have too many good players. He fell into our lap, we didn't chase him throughout the year.

On the OP, he should be playing in the middle as an inside mid.

His stats show he has been very consistent year on year with his three clubs
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

20. Likes josie, SquirrelGrip liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So who of Bont, Macrae or Libba do you move out?

He's a second rotation centre square mid with us, or HHF who pushes up to become a virtual midfielder around the ground
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers