Thanks Thanks:  11
Likes Likes:  162
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Always Right Match Committee Round 2 V St Kilda

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    Melbourne also missing 3 key players. Cody, Gardner were out notable absentees. We're not that bad and should be better. 50 points to this team is demoralising, imagine had they been full strength?

I think the tall forwards can work. Melbourne aren't exactly short up there, Brown, McDonald, Resting ruck. If they had our forwards they would be all kicking bags. We either don't have the right cattle to make it work or the coaches can't make it work.

Why are we rusty? Why are we not prepared? Why are our players flat nearly every game they run out? Why can't we run out games? It's the same story nearly every week.

Sorry to pick apart your post mate. No shot at you at all, just want answers to why this list is underachieving so badly.
    Well said. I agree with you. Work back from there.

Brown was ordinary yet kicked 4 goals. Receiving 8 passes (and a little luck) helped him have a good night. That’s a lot more than our whole forward line received.

For some strange reason Melbourne seemed determined to kick the ball to where their forwards were standing by themselves.

2. Likes Grantysghost, merantau liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    The way im processing it is Melbourne are a very good side and we copped them too early in the season. We looked rusty as ****(so many school boy errors). Plus the dumb 4 talls thing, put that in the bin and move on.
    Agree Chef, however, at no stage were there 4 talls in the forward line, unless you include Hannan.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

4. Thanks BornInDroopSt'54 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I just watched Bevo’s presser. A bit puzzling.

Stated we were terrible at defending the ground last season (yeah because the back off 5 was insanely stupid), and it’s something we’ve put a lot of time into over pre-season; however he picked one of the tallest slowest sides we’ve ever fielded against one of the best rebound 50 sides in the game.

Said we got nothing out of the small forwards, (Hannan and JJ were both underdone Bevo!) was at pains to say not all the talls are down there at once …like ever man, then qualified it with oh but they do take a smalls spot in the 22.

Rightly pointed out the shallow entries and centre clearance deficit; I’m just worried he’s out of ideas and the ones he has aren’t very good.

Why didn’t West even make the emergency list would’ve been my first question. He and Garcia at the very least have some fight and need to come in for this game.

Im alert not alarmed!

6. Likes chef, kruder, Dry Rot, merantau liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Agree Chef, however, at no stage were there 4 talls in the forward line, unless you include Hannan.
    We shouldn't have 4 tall fowards in the 22 let alone the forward line.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    We shouldn't have 4 tall fowards in the 22 let alone the forward line.
    True. Darcy should be learning in the VFL

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

9. Likes chef, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

True. Darcy should be learning in the VFL
    I’d be ok with Darcy playing instead of Bruce or Keath as a tall defender.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

11. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    I’d be ok with Darcy playing instead of Bruce or Keath as a tall defender.
    I thought Bruce was pretty good last night. I don't rate Keath and Darcy is not very strong

13. Likes Dry Rot, macca liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I thought Bruce was pretty good last night. I don't rate Keath and Darcy is not very strong
    Agree on Bruce. I think the upside on Darcy and how quickly he has improved with each game we need to play him.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angelopetraglia View Post
    Who did not play tonight who could potentially improve us?
    No one.

Last night was not a personnel issue, especially one that can be fixed by 3 or 4 fringe guys. It is a team issue.

Maybe a bit more pace would help us be a little less slow across the ground, but that's 1 of about 20 issues we need to address from last night.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

16. Likes macca liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Agree on Bruce. I think the upside on Darcy and how quickly he has improved with each game we need to play him.
    Aza, the biggest issue for me is the bottom 6 players are not contributing and it is left to a few and when that few stuff up, we capitulate. 8 players had less than 9 touches and 10 had less than 11. Compare that to two Melbourne players had less than 11.

We were either under done (Hannan, JJ, Mclean, ), or just not up to standard. Scott barely touched the ball till the last quarter he racked up a few possessions and the biggest disappointment was Lobb.

Post Thanks / Like

Out: Jones
    In: Crozier

McLean to start.

I can’t see us making big changes and they’ll back Hannan and JJ to be better for the run.

No point bringing West in, we don’t have a midfield rotation for him and he’s not a small forward, so can’t see it myself.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post

Said we got nothing out of the small forwards, (Hannan and JJ were both underdone Bevo!)
    Lol, wtf were they supposed to do? If we didn't mark it Melbourne did. We certainly weren't interested in passing it to anyones advantage going forward. Hard for the 2-3 blokes (Scott was there for a bit as well) to apply pressure when we were outnumbered constantly and they were out of position anyway because our forward entries were so stupid.

Fwiw I I am very aware I am probably wrong but I thought Hannan was not terrible, thought he did atleast get involved in bits and tried to create his own luck. JJ however....

20. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Aza, the biggest issue for me is the bottom 6 players are not contributing and it is left to a few and when that few stuff up, we capitulate. 8 players had less than 9 touches and 10 had less than 11. Compare that to two Melbourne players had less than 11.
    I would argue that Caleb Daniels multiple turnovers cost us more. Or our midfields inability to apply pressure or god forbid kill the ball. Or our "gun" forwardlines inability to ever find themselves in a position where they don't have to overcome the odds to win the ball.

Of our 9* players with less than 11 touches yes Darcy was terrible, JUH was fairly productive in bits before completely disappearing, JJ and Hannan were both poor but didn't get a great opportunity to damage up forward, Keath was terrible but was cooked last season, McLean was the sub and came on when we couldn't string two passes together which is not his fault, Duryea was poor, Jones was injured and yeah Lobb was bad. But aside from Lobb who of that lot did we expect to help fight the tide in a meaningful manner when the rest of the side sucked as well. Half of them were forwards who basically didn't see the ball in the second half, and considering our defence was completely caught on the back foot in the second half due to team structural and setup issues plus us being unable to get any kind of possesion going it's pretty understandable that the worst guys at accumulating the ball in our lineup didn't see much of it.

22. Likes merantau liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupman View Post
    I would argue that Caleb Daniels multiple turnovers cost us more. Or our midfields inability to apply pressure or god forbid kill the ball. Or our "gun" forwardlines inability to ever find themselves in a position where they don't have to overcome the odds to win the ball.

Of our 9* players with less than 11 touches yes Darcy was terrible, JUH was fairly productive in bits before completely disappearing, JJ and Hannan were both poor but didn't get a great opportunity to damage up forward, Keath was terrible but was cooked last season, McLean was the sub and came on when we couldn't string two passes together which is not his fault, Duryea was poor, Jones was injured and yeah Lobb was bad. But aside from Lobb who of that lot did we expect to help fight the tide in a meaningful manner when the rest of the side sucked as well. Half of them were forwards who basically didn't see the ball in the second half, and considering our defence was completely caught on the back foot in the second half due to team structural and setup issues plus us being unable to get any kind of possesion going it's pretty understandable that the worst guys at accumulating the ball in our lineup didn't see much of it.
    Melbourne had two players with few possessions, one a sub (last quarter) and the other a first gamer.

McLean had 5 disposals in half a game.

Post Thanks / Like

Melbourne had two players with few possessions, one a sub (last quarter) and the other a first gamer.

McLean had 5 disposals in half a game.
    Yeah and they owned the ball for a half, had no pressure applied to them and every single one of them were able to find space. We nearly drew them for possession numbers but that was solely because the same 4 of our mids would flick the ball between them then kick it to the fringe players opponents advantage.

Besides the bottom 10 players in our sides possession numbers are a symptom of our lack of performance, not the cause.