Thanks Thanks:  11
Likes Likes:  162
Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Always Right Match Committee Round 2 V St Kilda

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo View Post
    Hannan for Gallagher. We need someone to lock onto one of the Saints players like Steele.
    I don't mind the Gallagher selection option but he probably hasn't done the work at the moment to be considered.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Might be harsh but I think we need to pull Darcy out and bring in Khamis (and exchange Hannan for Garcia). Khamis allows us to maintain the tall forward line but stops us having Lobb and Darcy together which I really can’t see working. If Jones is fit, I’d be okay with pulling out Keath and giving Darcy his spot instead.

I don’t care where he plays, but I really don’t want Macrae in the centre anymore. His lack of pace and weak defensive game makes him a liability in the middle. We need hard edge and pace in the centre, not an accumulator who racks up 30+ touches every week while being effectively invisible. His delivery inside 50 is a straight up weakness now when it used to be one of his strengths

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Virgin-Dog View Post
    Might be harsh but I think we need to pull Darcy out and bring in Khamis (and exchange Hannan for Garcia). Khamis allows us to maintain the tall forward line but stops us having Lobb and Darcy together which I really can’t see working. If Jones is fit, I’d be okay with pulling out Keath and giving Darcy his spot instead.

I don’t care where he plays, but I really don’t want Macrae in the centre anymore. His lack of pace and weak defensive game makes him a liability in the middle. We need hard edge and pace in the centre, not an accumulator who racks up 30+ touches every week while being effectively invisible. His delivery inside 50 is a straight up weakness now when it used to be one of his strengths
    It probably is harsh but it's a suggestion not without merit. We've got some challenges to get the balance right but history will say we will stick with the line-up for a bit longer.

Post Thanks / Like

Nothing wrong with Darcy learning his craft in the VFL, although I'd prefer we try and keep him back for now. I think he played a bit of both on Saturday.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    Nothing wrong with Darcy learning his craft in the VFL, although I'd prefer we try and keep him back for now. I think he played a bit of both on Saturday.
    He did go back when Jones went down. In fact the mark and goal by Gawn in the goal square, Darcy claimed he punched that.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    I mentioned this a few times with the training reports that despite some eye catching form I'd be okay with him spending some time at Footscray. I hope he proves us wrong though.

Post Thanks / Like

So for all of you suckers that actually watched the game, can you give me some detail on:

- the ruck split between English and Lobb. I’ve got the general idea that Rory was not good but if we’re using him in ruck relief as much as we would use Cordy or Dunkley then I’m willing to call it not entirely his fault; and
    - the ease with which the ball left our 50. My gut feel before the game (other than we would beat them which lol) was that we should’ve picked McNeil for structural reasons and can see that he played pretty well in the VFL (or as well as you can consider someone to have played from a list of goal kickers)
    - any changes to the backline after Jones went down, which in light of other personnel missing is (sadly given it’s a 32 year old who was not in the AFL last year) a very significant injury to have happen in game.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

8. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I can't address all the issues you raised but I don't recall Lobb spending much time in the ruck - especially not contesting centre bounces. I thought English was very good around the ground but his ruckwork rarely puts the ball to our advantage

I have never been impressed by ruckmen who look at where there opponent is after the ball has been released by the umpire. The ball is the object. Go for it. If someone gets hurt in the process hopefully, if you go hard enough, it won't be you.

Our mids just did not put enough pressure on their mids at centre bounces. It would be interesting to know how many centre bounces were followed immediately by a scrimmage and a stoppage - not many from memory.
    So why is this significant? It's because it shows we're in the CONTEST. It takes pressure of the defence. It allows players to get back into our defensive 50.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by merantau View Post
    I thought English was very good around the ground but his ruckwork rarely puts the ball to our advantage
    Not true. Hitouts to advantage - Gawn 7, Tim 6. Around the ground we won stoppage clearances, we lost clearances in the centre.

Last year we were the number one clearance team for both Stoppage and Centre, however, Melbourne continually beat us in the Centre.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

English wasn't the problem at all. And I have been vocal in the past about his ruck work, but his game was mostly good. He had zero help (Lobb barely rucked and was lost) and the mids and the way they were pushed aside by Petracca/Oliver was embarrassing.
    W00F!

12. Likes Boots liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    English wasn't the problem at all. And I have been vocal in the past about his ruck work, but his game was mostly good. He had zero help (Lobb barely rucked and was lost) and the mids and the way they were pushed aside by Petracca/Oliver was embarrassing.
    Our issue, like last year was defence. We have tried to train all pre-season for a new game plan on defending but it fell a part again.

Maybe it will take a few games to get used to it, but we can't afford not to tighten up. Good teams will blow it apart. Not sure with Jones going down the avalanche started.

Post Thanks / Like

I think we have to make nearly no changes and keep trying to settle the new game plan. It'd be nice to get Cody back but I don't think we do yet do we? And Gardner is out a bit longer too, isn't he?

Of the list of players I would like to see gone - JJ chief among them - I just can't see the MC ditching them. For whatever reason players like West and Garcia never get a game and players like Hannan seem to fit some sort of criteria we don't understand. So if we have to give the new system time to settle, then we also have to give the junk players time too, since they might be more important to the system than we know/think. Maybe.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Our issue, like last year was defence. We have tried to train all pre-season for a new game plan on defending but it fell a part again.

Maybe it will take a few games to get used to it, but we can't afford not to tighten up. Good teams will blow it apart. Not sure with Jones going down the avalanche started.
    What does our new defensive game plan look like?

To me it looked exactly the same as it has in years gone by... defend high and get exposed ''over the back''.

16. Likes Grantysghost, DOG GOD, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    What does our new defensive game plan look like?

To me it looked exactly the same as it has in years gone by... defend high and get exposed ''over the back''.
    Fell into old habits

Post Thanks / Like

I can't see how JJ, Hannan and McLean stay in the team for this week.. replace them all with Garcia, West and McNeil.

If Jones is fit then Keath makes way for Cleary.... was hoping the reduction in weight would help with mobility, but he was lost out there.

Daniel needs to be moved from the backline... he cost us 3-4 goals with his ball use... held onto the ball for too long and then gave it away too easily. Play him on a wing or HF.... or not at all.