Thanks Thanks:  11
Likes Likes:  162
Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Always Right Match Committee Round 2 V St Kilda

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    What does our new defensive game plan look like?

To me it looked exactly the same as it has in years gone by... defend high and get exposed ''over the back''.
    Bevo said in the members message we are defending all the way to the opposition goal square!?

Clearly not when we moving into forward 50 from a stoppage.

That Melksham goal was horrendous defense.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    So for all of you suckers that actually watched the game, can you give me some detail on:

- the ruck split between English and Lobb. I’ve got the general idea that Rory was not good but if we’re using him in ruck relief as much as we would use Cordy or Dunkley then I’m willing to call it not entirely his fault; and
    - the ease with which the ball left our 50. My gut feel before the game (other than we would beat them which lol) was that we should’ve picked McNeil for structural reasons and can see that he played pretty well in the VFL (or as well as you can consider someone to have played from a list of goal kickers)
    - any changes to the backline after Jones went down, which in light of other personnel missing is (sadly given it’s a 32 year old who was not in the AFL last year) a very significant injury to have happen in game.
    You should just be a sucker and watch it and then give us your opinion.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    You should just be a sucker and watch it and then give us your opinion.
    My man it is not even midday on Monday why are you trying to ruin my whole week
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

4. Likes G-Mo77 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Or you could just watch the GF....

Post Thanks / Like

Don't do it. Move on and forget it happened.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Bevo said in the members message we are defending all the way to the opposition goal square!?

Clearly not when we moving into forward 50 from a stoppage.

That Melksham goal was horrendous defense.
    It was ****ing embarrassing.. I know we got smoked in the centre clearances, but they kicked 12.6 from D50 which means our defensive transition & team defence was non-existent.

8. Likes Grantysghost, BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

There were key moments that we stuffed. There were simple mistakes (plenty of them) that led directly to their goals. In an alternate universe and those things were changed, maybe we're in the match going into the last 10 min.

However, there was absolutely 0 about things that LOOKED like we were defending differently or better. The over the back sh1t just sliced us up as usual.

I think we gotta stay with the same blokes (or maybe rebalance defence if match ups aren't right) and IF we're trying to implement something DIFFERENT from what we've done for the past 4-5 years, then let's give it a bit of time. Going backwards to go forwards.

Post Thanks / Like

I’m surprised that nobody has commented on the fact that emerged from Saturday night’s game that puts a spotlight on what is wrong. And if we fix it it’s a smooth path to the finals.

And all we have to do is look at the last two bulldog games that Lobb participated in.

When playing against us he had only 7 possessions. 7 marks leading to 7 kicks and 4 match winning goals.

When playing with us he had only 2 marks leading to 2 kicks and no scoring.

Same player but totally different outcomes.

We need a totally different game plan that focuses on getting the ball into the forwards hands - as JUH so clearly pointed out during the game. No more of the endless handball on the half back line. Melbourne loved watching us waste time and momentum while they set up to receive the under pressure disposals. It was the reason Lever and their other backmen had such a good night.

4 decent kicks from full back should give Lobb (or one of the other forwards) a mark and a shot at goal.

Can someone spend a little time explaining to the players what a decent kick looks like.

Then we won’t have to worry about playing the Saints (or any of the top sides).
    Last edited by Danjul; 20-03-2023 at 03:26 PM.

11. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So for all of you suckers that actually watched the game, can you give me some detail on:

- the ruck split between English and Lobb. I’ve got the general idea that Rory was not good but if we’re using him in ruck relief as much as we would use Cordy or Dunkley then I’m willing to call it not entirely his fault; and
    - the ease with which the ball left our 50. My gut feel before the game (other than we would beat them which lol) was that we should’ve picked McNeil for structural reasons and can see that he played pretty well in the VFL (or as well as you can consider someone to have played from a list of goal kickers)
    - any changes to the backline after Jones went down, which in light of other personnel missing is (sadly given it’s a 32 year old who was not in the AFL last year) a very significant injury to have happen in game.
    Lobb attended one centre bounce. He had 9 ruck contests overall compared to 62 for English, 5 for Naughton and 4 for Darcy. He didn’t go up against Gawn at all, while English struggled against Gawn, so really didn’t like how we used him.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Virgin-Dog View Post
    Lobb attended one centre bounce. He had 9 ruck contests overall compared to 62 for English, 5 for Naughton and 4 for Darcy. He didn’t go up against Gawn at all, while English struggled against Gawn, so really didn’t like how we used him.
    Lobbe has made it known he doesn't like rucking and only does it out of necessity.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bullies View Post
    Lobbe has made it known he doesn't like rucking and only does it out of necessity.
    If he's a team player, he'll ruck when required. We shouldn't bow to his demands when we've just traded him in. It should be made clear he's the least "forward" of all the forwards. I was disappointed how little he rucked, really don't want to see Naughton rucking at all unless there's a mismatch (i.e. no true ruckman available for the opposition, so he can manhandle them)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Virgin-Dog View Post
    I knew he didn't ruck much but that's pretty crazy. I mean, even just to give Tim a rest you'd think he'd attend a few more centre bounces. Bruce used to.

Is it up to the players to make that rotation? Runners aren't used so much now so should they be driving that? I agree with a few on here that Lobb's value to the team also includes a decent chunk of ruck time.

Post Thanks / Like

If Lobb doesn’t ruck at least 35% of the game then I’m scratching my head as to why we would bother getting him.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

17. Likes JanLorMill, DOG GOD, westbulldog, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Lobb doesn't like the ruck?

So we've got 2 x ruck forwards, however in reality 1 x ruck and 1 x forward net.

Surely Lobb plays where he's required. If not then i'm on the bye bye Bevo bandwagon.

Post Thanks / Like

I think why we recruited him is because we didn’t think Darcy and juh would come on as quickly as they did

20. Likes Grantysghost liked this post