Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  5
    Post Thanks / Like

(MAYBE) Consensus Opinion: Jack Macrae might be the highest polling player NEVER to win a B&F - That changes in 23

I think (I think) I am renowned for giving Macrae a hard time on here - particularly for his body language when things (particularly the position he is playing) aren't going his way. BUT that's only because I admire him so much that I simply cannot stand the way he lets himself down.

He has been an amazing player for us - incredibly consistent, hard working, clean and RELENTLESS with his running on match day. I think he is absolutely incredible and a 'cross' between those great icons of the 2000's - Scott West and Daniel Cross - but with a WAY better kick than either of those two.

Anyway - I think it is time he walked home a winner on Charles Sutton night. I feel he would be pretty disappointed with what he delivered in 2022 and will be thinking 'come-back' in the biggest way...and I just think he has the ability to challenge himself on-field in a way few others can.

Macrae for the B&F in 2023 - and to return to the AA team.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

2. Likes dog town, azabob, Mofra, bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: (MAYBE) Consensus Opinion: Jack Macrae might be the highest polling player NEVER to win a B&F - That changes in

I think he will have an outstanding year with more minutes available in his preferred role and a fire in his belly from the disappointment of 2022.

But unfortunately for him he still plays with Bont, so he won't be winning the B&F.

4. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: (MAYBE) Consensus Opinion: Jack Macrae might be the highest polling player NEVER to win a B&F - That changes in

I think he should have won the B&F already but he doesn't seem to get the internal acknowledgement even when he is flying.

He also competes with some pretty good candidates and Bont wins when he is fit.
    There is also competition coming from Naughton, Bailey Smith and others which might prevent Jack ever claiming the B&F

He can be happy contributing to some flags and perhaps claim a Norm Smith. (This year would be good)
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

I’ve always sorta suspected that Bevo doesn’t value Jack as much as he should.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

He's so team-orientated I believe he doesn't care about individual honours. Some players are just like this. I think he's proud when he achieves i.e. AA accolades and VC honours but he strikes me as someone who just gets on with it quietly.

No way he gets close to the award with a fully fit Bont.

8. Likes D Mitchell liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    He's so team-orientated I believe he doesn't care about individual honours.
    Which is why - this year - he wins!
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

I love Jack. In the pantheon of Bulldogs champion, I rate him above Scott West.

One thing about Jack though is that whilst he can play different roles, he doesn't seem to be able to play different positions. I wonder when he eventually ages whether he ends up down back like Matthew Boyd - or is there another string to his bow?
    "I'll give him a hug before the first bounce and then I'll run into my pack and give them orders to rip him apart."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    He's so team-orientated I believe he doesn't care about individual honours.
    I think he is concerned a lot by his own contribution and he can tell you how many kicks and handballs he has had during a game. Whether he cares about the honours, I am not sure.

I totally agree with the OP on this one.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Contentious opinion - not enough hurt factor. Love the way he accumulates, but to hurt you he has to have high 30 posession game - Bont/Smith can hurt you with 20

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    Contentious opinion - not enough hurt factor. Love the way he accumulates, but to hurt you he has to have high 30 posession game - Bont/Smith can hurt you with 20
    Macrae's retention from inside 50s is well ahead of Smith. Miles ahead
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Macrae's retention from inside 50s is well ahead of Smith. Miles ahead
    Also Macrae is less likely to kick it straight to an opponent player. Perhaps this is what you (partially) were saying.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by josie View Post
    Also Macrae is less likely to kick it straight to an opponent player. Perhaps this is what you (partially) were saying.
    Except he did exactly that on Saturday.
    "I'll give him a hug before the first bounce and then I'll run into my pack and give them orders to rip him apart."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelGrip View Post
    So did many players including lots of Melbourne players. Unfortunately we didn't make them pay when they did.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelGrip View Post
    True, but to my eye Baz is a bigger culprit from prior games.