Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  67
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Controversial Opinion: We will/would be BETTER with LOBB in the ruck and English up forward in 2023.

Quote Originally Posted by lemmon View Post
    Could we extend this a step further and say that we'd just be better suited with English playing forward, Sweet playing ruck and Lobb not being in the side?

Sweet, to my eye, is that bash-and-crash, contested ball ruck and is a better ruckman than Lobb - so why not just play Jordan ruck and English forward of the ball?

I do agree that we're crying out for that player, but I don't think Bevo would. We've seen time and again that unless you're a mobile big man, he's just not going to play you. I don't think Huddo would've played a game of footy under Beveridge and he probably would've copped the Will Minson treatment. I think it has a lot to do with why we haven't gone for a mature-aged ruck despite being desperate to add another to the list - what's the point of Bev won't play them?
    Sweet would have been brilliant in the 80s or 90s.
    I'm not convinced on his around the ground work just yet. He's the perfect "first drop" ruckman for an AFL list though.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Controversial Opinion: We will/would be BETTER with LOBB in the ruck and English up forward in 2023.

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Agreed. Lobb has shown and produced more as a forward than Tim ever has.

Not sure about that. Lobb is also a pretty decent lead and mark forward from what I've seen.
    When he kicked those goals against us at Marvel last year they were all from leads leading to the pocket and half forward line.

Post Thanks / Like

Can’t wait for English to dominate this year and change the tune of this thread.

Agree he’s also an awesome natural forward. But he can be a big banana ruck too. Not in the monster role, but in the I’ll get 25 important touches, mark everything and still kick a few goals mould.

Post Thanks / Like

No. But we would been better with Grundy in the ruck and English up forward.

5. Likes MrMahatma, macca liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    Fitting Grundy could be a challenge for the salary cap. Or it would require alot of brown paper bags quietly ushered away in wheel barrows

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    When you sit back and look at the team performance English’s maximum contribution would be centre half back and second ruck. He is a better ball winner than anyone we have tried there lately. He would give the backline the confidence to straighten up and be attacking. And he is now good enough to neutralise Grundy.

Totally removing the failed tactic of running the ball around the boundary line with an infinite series of handball. That has repeatedly shown as the best way to get our forward players out of position and leave the backline unprepared for the rebound. Melbourne set up for it.

It also leaves the team out of energy later in the game, hence the astonishing fade-out which is becoming a hallmark.

Time to put the team and the club first.

All we need from the first ruck is to stop the opposition surges out of the centre, someone who can limit the 5 goals from 17 possessions in in 10 minutes.

Also, after Saturday I don’t see how Lobb’s performance can be rewarded with elevation. Contributed nothing.

We ridicule our own and accept that rubbish from imports.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by macca View Post
    Fitting Grundy could be a challenge for the salary cap. Or it would require alot of brown paper bags quietly ushered away in wheel barrows
    What we paying Lobb? Collingwood paying as well, easily done

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JanLorMill View Post
    What we paying Lobb? Collingwood paying as well, easily done
    Grundy looked cooked to me.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Grundy looked cooked to me.
    Most rucks seem to play well into their 30s but he still a better ruck than English and will stand up in finals.

Post Thanks / Like

Most rucks seem to play well into their 30s but he still a better ruck than English and will stand up in finals.
    Tim is only 25 years old and played 77 games. He is improving every year.

Rucks are not a problem, defence is.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Tim is only 25 years old and played 77 games. He is improving every year.

Rucks are not a problem, defence is.
    The past 4 finals campaigns say ruck is a problem.

13. Likes EasternWest, azabob, Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The past 4 finals campaigns say ruck is a problem.
    GF - yes, other finals no

Post Thanks / Like

GF - yes, other finals no
    English wasn’t great in the finals 19 & 20. GWS and Saints. Mind you, neither was the entire team!!

I’m sure he could’ve done more last year V freo to help stem the tide at the source.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    English wasn’t great in the finals 19 & 20. GWS and Saints. Mind you, neither was the entire team!!

I’m sure he could’ve done more last year V freo to help stem the tide at the source.
    19 and 20 gee he was a 21 year old baby

Post Thanks / Like

19 and 20 gee he was a 21 year old baby
    Wasnt he already 19 the year we drafted him (2016) and was into his 4th season with us in 2020.
    Doesnt that make him 23 by the finals in 2020?